Promethean

Syncretist
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Western PA
Status
Medical Student
Not every class. Some lectures have warranted applause.

In smaller lectures/meetings with clinicians, many of us make a point of thanking the presenter for their time. In a full lecture hall, that isn't always feasible.

About the Ads

acapnial

7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The class ahead of me applauded lecturers halfway into the first year. My class quit doing it pretty early on- I think some of the lecturers felt hurt.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
We still do even in 2nd year.

Reactions: Goro

YayPudding

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
alecseriously liked my comment :claps::claps:CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP :clap::clap:

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
About the Ads

GoroTard

Nastywoman
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 26, 2017
Status
Medical Student
My kids do it a lot at the beginning of OMSI...it peters out as an occurrence by the end of the first year.
Yes it does, as students realize the questionable quality of many of their lectures. Getting the 5% tuition increase notice at the end of first year doesn't help anything either.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I remember it happening awkwardly a few times during orientation, but after that we only clapped for guest speakers and particularly pleasant announcements.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Scratch another troll. I wonder if they are aware that repeated trolling can lead to a complaint to their school, leading to a visit to the Professionalism folks??

Might even mean a suspension!

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We have actually kind of booed at the end of a lecture... that was a bad day for sure man it was bad. Even worse than our professor digging notes out of a trash can so he could barge into our room during a test to call us all cheaters and tell us how ashamed we should be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: Oh_Gee

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
We have actually kind of booed at the end of a lecture... that was a bad day for sure man it was bad. Even worse than our professor digging notes out of a trash can so he could barge into our room during a test to call us all cheaters and tell us how ashamed we should be.

WCU is scary. Everything that leaks out basically says don't go there.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]

....wut?

Reactions: Oh_Gee
About the Ads

Carbon090

Coffee pls
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere with coffee
Status
Medical Student

Is this real life? wow.

LutGholein

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2016
4077th MASH
Status
Medical Student

It almost sounds like he takes pleasure in this?

jw3600

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2013
Status
Scratch another troll. I wonder if they are aware that repeated trolling can lead to a complaint to their school, leading to a visit to the Professionalism folks??

Might even mean a suspension!
And you think this a good thing?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
We do, we were basically told we had to because "we are in medical school". Here it's just more of a tradition I think. Kinda silly but it really isn't a big deal

And you think this a good thing?
Absolutely. Some of the recent Goro trolls have been essentially making personal threats, like the kind that end up being followed by law enforcement. Now these people probably aren't medical students but if they are then yeah they absolutely should have consequences.

Reactions: DokterMom and Goro

TheaterOfTheme

5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
We do, we were basically told we had to because "we are in medical school". Here it's just more of a tradition I think. Kinda silly but it really isn't a big deal

Absolutely. Some of the recent Goro trolls have been essentially making personal threats, like the kind that end up being followed by law enforcement. Now these people probably aren't medical students but if they are then yeah they absolutely should have consequences.
Goro trolls? What the heck...this is a trend now?
Jeez Goro, you put up with a lot lol

Reactions: Goro

jw3600

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2013
Status

Ok that is weird. I haven't been following that closely. I thought we were discussing people anonymously posting about the ****ty qualities of their school.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Ok that is weird. I haven't been following that closely. I thought we were discussing people anonymously posting about the ****ty qualities of their school.
Yeah I don't think that is who Goro is referencing, if he were I would agree with you. There's been some weird Goro trolls lately threatening that they know who he is because of his IP address blah blah. I think that's what he is talking about.

Reactions: Scrubs101 and Goro

Robotfishbrain

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
They do.

They're just happy to be here.

About the Ads

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It almost sounds like he takes pleasure in this?
Its not that. I comment when it comes up. It only happened once, we were very angry and not everybody did we did get drowned out by applause but we were mad

Reactions: LutGholein

getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
We go to the same school. The people who keep doing this at the back left of the class are ******ed.
I gave up last week and started clapping at the end of every lecture. I sit in the third row so maybe I should look kinda interested

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
After looking at other threads in Goro's case most definitely-- I didn't know how out of hand it has gotten-- @Goro did you steal someone's lunch money? Haha-- I'm sorry some trolls are causing such a ruckus.
Hard to figure out the pathology of trolls. The Orangepants troll seems to have a far right-wing meme, and is probably a DO student. He's probably tormenting Muslim-Americans and trolling Facebook for Der Trumppenfuhrer right now.

Reactions: Scrubs101

Dr. Rafiki

2+ Year Member
May 22, 2016
Land of the mandrills, Equatorial Guinea
Status
Medical Student
Applause are for live performers only. Seeing as how our professors are not performing, applause are not warranted.

Noxy

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Yup, teacher is well known but it was not warranted
It is getting out of hand now, Don't give in!!! You've got to stop the clapping :laugh:, hopefully they will all stop eventually..:laugh: I can't sit through ANOTHER 6 hours of epidemiology and watch everyone clap like they just won the lotto. madness.

Reactions: getfat

getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
It is getting out of hand now, Don't give in!!! You've got to stop the clapping :laugh:, hopefully they will all stop eventually..:laugh: I can't sit through ANOTHER 6 hours of epidemiology and watch everyone clap like they just won the lotto. madness.
only 2 more weeks then we are done until January :clap:

Reactions: Noxy

Noxy

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
only 2 more weeks then we are done until January :clap:
so awesome, that class literally makes my eyes fall out of my head. But they will still continue to clap..for anatomy lab :)

Reactions: getfat

Neopolymath

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
At least we are getting it out of the way quickly...

Reactions: Noxy

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Weren't you put on probation for saying this before? Lol
Nope, it was for arguing with someone over it. I have that person on Ignore, so that should settle it.

Reactions: Coltuna
About the Ads