Athlete, grad degree, low gpa, upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nylonase46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I had an upward swing in my grades from my junior year on. My GPA was as low as a 2.5. I was able to get mostly As with some Bs and finished my BS in bio with a chem minor with a 2.9. I completed my MS degree with a 3.8. It was a mix of teaching and biology/chemistry. About 2/3 of the classes were science(they were grad/undergrad mixed classes that weren't a cakewalk). I also walked on to my division 1 university's football team(a well known school with top 50 academics) and started for 3 years eventually earning a scholarship. I'm pretty sure my athlete status got me into the MS program, but I did well in it.

I did a lot of volunteer work over this time ranging from volunteering as a high school coach, tutoring elementary school kids, bone marrow drives, and Ronald McDonald's house.

I haven't been able to shadow or do much research, but I should be able to start this summer.

Is medical school realistic at this point or did my early academic struggles doom me?
If it is realistic, do you know which schools I should look at?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to take the MCAT in either September this year or April next year.

Good luck Ny, I'm in a similar situation. Played basketball and started off with a 2.3 ending up with only a 2.97. Hopefully starting post-bacc for GPA repair this summer (waiting on admissions decision). How's your clinical EC's?And are you shooting for MD only, or have you considered DO? From what I gather on similar threads we're going to have to rock the MCAT...