1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Athletes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by time md, Apr 13, 2007.

1. time md

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was just curious how many of you guys play a sport? Also, do you sometimes wish that you wouldn't have? I play football and it is really time consuming both season and off-season.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cgjock80

cgjock80 Im in
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I played hockey in school, and I found it a welcomed distraction from the rigors of academia. I had a great career and have no regrets about playing in college. I believe that the time commitment to hockey only improved time management skills that will definitely be helpful in medical school. When you lift in the morning and skate at night, it limits the time for HW/research/volunteering etc. However, I did all of those things to supplement my passion for hockey
    Also, I think it helped me in the application process, as I could list a major time commitment that was atypical of most premeds. It is alot of work, but my collegiate experience would be for the worse if I had not played. As long as you are still competitive academically, to stop playing a sport in college would be regrettable.

4. DrMontana

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree. I played soccer during undergrad and it was a great experience. I think that ADCOMs realize the time commitment involved and factor that in when they look at your EC's. I think they also take into account the things you've learned from playing sports (leadership, time managment skills, teamwork ect.). If you love doing it, then keep doing it. As long as your grades and MCAT are competitive, you'll be ok.

5. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say if you can keep up with both your sport and academics, you have a GREAT thing going for you. Adcoms will be very impressed that you can juggle all of this.

HOWEVER, if your grades slip, don't expect too much forgiveness.

6. Texas Jayhawk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

7. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I ran track and cross country at my school for the first two years of college. Unlike many college sports there really is no in-season and out-of-season for distance runners because the track and cross country seasons overlap. I really enjoyed running in college. It was an amazing experiance and I'm glad I did it. I ended up stopping because of a medical problem and it has taken me a long time to come to peace with the fact that competitive running just wasn't going to work out for me. There are definately some upsides to not being a college athlete anymore - namely that I have time to work and my grades have gone up. We would normally spend about 25-30 hours a week practicing, but I found that the biggest obstacle to studying was how tired I was after practce every night.
    I wouldn't say that I'm glad I don't do it anymore, but I have found ways to keep myself busy which is really important for an ex-athlete. Yes, my application is probably stronger because my time isn't consumed by running, but that certainly wasn't a major motivator for my decision to leave the team.

8. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I figure skated in college. No, I wasn't that great to go to Nationals or anything, and even if I was, I couldn't afford it. I don't know how it works for college atheletes, if the college pays for the team to travel and stay in hotels and all that, but figure skating is waay too expensive for me. To have sponsors, you have to basically be a top Senior level competitior, which I am definitly not. So otherwise, you have to pay upwards of $2000-$3000 for a competition. Lessons, ice time, music editing, transportation, hotels, competition entry fees, coaches fees for them coming to the comp with you (you usually have to pay for their hotel, food, transportation, as well as paying for lessons they miss giving when they're with you). It's just too much.

But I did put it on my application, and I got asked about it at every interview. When you're willing to get up at 5 am in the middle of winter to skate in a freezing cold rink for 2 hours before you go to class and work, and still manage to keep up your grades, it says something about your character and focus, regardless of your level. Either that, or it shows that you're just really crazy, but hey, all my interviewers liked it.

9. tictaq

tictaq Never Follow
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I play tennis for my school

It has definitely come up during my interviews,
    but don't let your grades slip b/c of athletics

10. VaulterGirl

VaulterGirl I ♥ Coquí
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was a D1 Athlete for 4 years and it was an amazing experience. It was very time consuming (indoor and outdoor season) but I feel it was worth it. I was still able to do research, volunteering and have a competitive major. Honestly I didn't have much of a life outside of Track/School. Since I am done with undergrad/athletics I can say that it is definetly doable. Good luck!!!

11. postbacker

postbacker Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    You said it all there...please OP, no offense...but if a college athlete is looking for a "break" on med school admissions because their grades lagged due to sports participation, said athlete needs to realize that nobody cares. Besides - too many athletes who participated in their sport AND made stellar grades...that is your real competition in med school admissions - how do you stack up in an "apples to apples" comparison with other college athletes, in addition to comparing favorably with the non-athletes?

12. trainride

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was an athletic training major so I spend countless hours with athletes at practice and games. Plus I held a night and weekend job. However, I have great respect for people who not only compete in college but also maintain good grades. Sure everyone has jobs but how many of you could study while sitting at a desk or take a shift off from waiting tables because of a big test? Athletes pour 100% of their mind and body into their "work". Plus after being pushed to the physical, mental, and emotional limit in a game or practice they have to study. How many people with regular jobs missed 10-20 days of class for traveling to their away jobs. Not too many. I always think back to the quarterback for Ohio State (krenzel maybe) and I hate OSU (go blue). How in the world did he win a national championship and maintain a 3.9 in biomedical technology (or someother crazy complicated subject). Hats off to those of you who can be a collegiate athlete and get good enough stats to attend medical school. It is an assett and proves that they can perform under extremely stressfull physical and mental situations. Which by the way all of us future doctors will have to do.

13. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

14. twick121

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am a big 10 athlete and i take offense to the "it's just a job" comment, it is definately more than a bit different than a job. Not having a scholarship here forced me to also have a job...and there are plenty of lazy campus jobs you can have and do your homework during. you can't do your homework during practice.

On the grades part, i honestly think my grades would be significantly lower if I wasn't an athlete. I have so little free time that it forces me to be extremely focused on the time that I do have. I feel if I had all the free time in the world, I wouldn't have used it.

Almost all my applicaitons being an athlete significantly helped me. My interviews usually consisted of 1/2 talking about that and 1/2 talking about my research.

However, I was punished at Mayo for being an athlete. I apparently didn't have a "diverse enough volunteer experiences." and the application advisor I talked to at mayo said that they recognize that I was putting in 30-40 hours a week into one activity, but they don't look past that. As an athlete you just flat out don't have time for as much volunteer stuff as others (especially when you aren't on a scholarship). Almost all med schools recognized that and are ok with it (just not mayo)

15. polycon7

polycon7 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If training and competing is a "job", then it was the hardest job I ever had! I played D1 tennis for 4 years and it has come up a few times in interviews, but not in a negative way like the one a few posts up. If it did, oh well. Playing sports helped me go to college in the first place with a scholarship. There's nothing that makes me regret my decision to play a sport in college, even if it was one of the most challenging things for me to go through. Studying on planes and in airports for a big orgo or biochem exam is tough, but you learn fast how to manage your study time and to sacrifice your social life in some instances. But, it's sad to come across ignorant people who really have no idea about this, but yet make comments that belittle your "sweat and tears" into something that is regularly done.

16. krbirc03

krbirc03 krbirc03
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I def. agree that sports are not just a "job". I swam for one year and it totally destroyed my freshman gpa. I realized this and switched and played on the club rugby team ( little less time commitment). I tore both ACL's. Had to miss some classes for surgery, rehab, etc. So I guess you could say that sports didn't help me. But I had a lot of fun doing it! and sometimes that's all that matters.

17. darknation

darknation Rowing Nazi
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am on the varsity rowing team. We have 5am practices 6 times a week.

18. bball25

bball25 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I played D-1 bball (this was my senior season). My teammates who still have eligibility just started workouts and conditioning 5 days a week!! The Nat'l championship wasn't even a month ago and the first game of next season isn't until November, but they have started and are going hard. The training, practicing, and weight lifting never ends. Another point.. the avg adult works 40hrs a week and the avg student works part-time so about 20hrs a week. NCAA rules say you can't practice more than like 20hrs a week (equivalent to a part-time job), but when you add weight lifting, conditioning, watching film, and roadtrips (all of which for my team was done outside of practice time) who knows how many hours a week we really "work".
    I can't complain though..that's the price of a free education.