Atlantic Bridge dentistry 2017 cycle - Irish dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densto17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I know this is really early, but have any of you applied to the Atlantic Bridge dentistry programs for 2017 entry? I applied and thought I'd start a discussion so we can answer any questions about applying and receiving offers/rejections.

Also, since there is a mutual agreement between Canadian and Irish dental schools, and this is up for review in 2017, could the mutual accreditation end in 2017, making it no longer possible for Irish graduates to work back in Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I just finished my application to the Irish dental schools. I have heard about the review, but that it is quite unlikely the agreement would end. So fingers crossed that it won't!

Have you received any secondary applications yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
And yep, hopefully the agreement doesn't come to a stop suddenly :)

Hello
Do you guys know what was the cut off for irish universities last year. (my cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.72, DAT 21 with pat 23) I know DAT is not part of the requirement but since my score was't bad I sent it to them anyway.
I am also Canadian :) Just sent out all of my documents this monday. Im hoping it wasn't too late since its rolling admission :(

Hey! From my understanding there is no cut off for the GPA (except for trinity I believe), but that the application review is quite a holistic process. They take into account the university you are coming from, the degree of difficulty of your program, as well as your extracurriculars and volunteer activities. And I am sure you will be fine for the cut-off, I think they only start reviewing applicants in mid-january.

Now we wait :)

Best of luck!

Hey all,

Canadian Student here attending the Irish Dental Program at UCC as a first year graduate-entry. I can try and answer some of the questions you have to help you with the process. Unfortunately I don't know much about admissions but I can talk about the program and what we have done so far and what to expect. I have a really busy semester, so apologies if I don't answer straight away.

Cheers,

Hey all,

Canadian Student here attending the Irish Dental Program at UCC as a first year graduate-entry. I can try and answer some of the questions you have to help you with the process. Unfortunately I don't know much about admissions but I can talk about the program and what we have done so far and what to expect. I have a really busy semester, so apologies if I don't answer straight away.

Cheers,
Hey CanadianDent16!
How many Canadians are in your class?

are Irish dental schools quite competitive to get in as a Canadian in terms of GPA, etc.?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile

Hey CanadianDent16!
How many Canadians are in your class?

About 25, I Think. The class size is 52. There are 14 Graduate entry students who are all Canadians then there are 10 or so Canadians that are in the 2nd year of the regular 5 year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
are Irish dental schools quite competitive to get in as a Canadian in terms of GPA, etc.?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile
I have no statistics to give you a straight answer but I think the acceptance average is lower than Canadian Universities. UCC looks at a couple different aspects of your application such as the difficulty of your program forming a more eclectic view of the candidate.

Hey all,

Cheers,

Hello CanadianDent16, thank you in advance!

How do you like the program at UCC so far? Are you happy with your decision to move to Ireland for dental school?

Hey everyone,
Has anyone heard anything from UCC or TCD? I know its kind of early but I just wanted to know has UCC released its first batch of admission

Hey, I applied to both UCC and TCD as well. It's all quiet on my end!

Quiet for me as well, but based on last years forums first rounds seemed to be around April 20th!

Ive been wondering as well...so i asked about their progress and this is what Zack replied a couple of days ago: "The dental schools you have applied to have begun reviewing applications and offers have not been made at this time. The first rounds of offers are typically made in late-March, early-April."

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an acceptance to the UCC 4-year program yesterday! The email went to my junk folder so keep an eye out there as well.

I just got an acceptance to the UCC 4-year program yesterday! The email went to my junk folder so keep an eye out there as well.

I just checked my junk folder and I got accepted to the UCC Graduate Entry Program as well! Still waiting for Trinity though...

Congrats deano16 and DDS9321! Do you mind sharing your stats including GPA and EC's?

Last edited:
hey y'all, i also got an offer of admission for Cork for the 4 year graduate. Not super worried about the agreement, it's very unlikely it won't continue or give exceptions for certain graduating years.

Congrats dentaraculous! Do you mind sharing your cGPA and EC's? Waiting to hear back from the schools, however I did apply late.

Hey guys, I was accepted to the UCC 4-year GED program yesterday as well! I have not yet had a response back from Trinity, but I hear that they will not be sending out a first round until late March to early April. Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of attending UCC vs. Trinity for dentistry (i.e. if you want to perhaps specialize, is one school more favorable)?

Let me know!:)

Hey pearlywhites55, congrats on your offer! Do you mind sharing your cGPA and stats?

My cGPA is somewhere around 3.7-3.8 depending on how you calculate it. I'm currently in a MSc program and I have 100+ shadowing hours, multiple volunteer experiences (some 5+ year commitment), and also competed on varsity teams throughout undergrad. I'm waiting to hear back from other Canadian schools before I'll make any decisions.

Congrats deano16 and DDS9321! Do you mind sharing your stats including GPA and EC's? As well, how comfortable are you with Ireland schools being up for accreditation this year?
Hey, not at all! I graduated with a 3.9 cGPA. I was involved in various student organizations during undergrad and was an editor for the school newspaper. I conducted research and shadowed local dentists and dental students during that time as well. Personally, I'm not too worried about the reciprocity agreement. I think it's unlikely that they'll terminate it :xf:

Also got an acceptance today for the 4-year graduate program. 5th year undergrad, 3.8 last 3 years in most all upper year biology and chemistry courses. 100+ hours shadowing, research volunteer etc.

Hey guys, I was accepted to the UCC 4-year GED program yesterday as well! I have not yet had a response back from Trinity, but I hear that they will not be sending out a first round until late March to early April. Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of attending UCC vs. Trinity for dentistry (i.e. if you want to perhaps specialize, is one school more favorable)?

Let me know!:)

Hey,

Trinity would be the 5-year dental program and UCC offers 4-year Grad Entry and a 5-year program. In terms of the schools, both are basically the same, not much difference as Irish schools do not have rankings. It comes down to living in Dublin or Cork as well as if you want to do 5 years or 4 years. In addition to that the reciprocal agreement does not carry over for specializations if you were to specialize in Ireland. However, if you obtain your BDS from Ireland and apply to Canada to specialize you would be competing with other Canadians and they look at the usual (GPA, References, Job experiences, etc).

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me as I am currently in the 4-year Grad-Entry program at UCC.

All the best.

Oh wow, you all have really good stats in terms of GPA and EC's seem pretty good too. Any reason why you are considering Ireland over Canada, even if that means taking another year to get in to a school in Canada? I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of applying to UCC and TCD next year.

In terms of GPA, I have a cGPA of 3.8 and had an interview in Canada this year, however I was rejected. I am reapplying all over Canada next year as well. I have a couple friends who were in the same boat as me last year having interviews in Canada, but rejected. They reapplied this year and were both accepted at UBC so far, waiting on UofA, and have more interviews coming up out east. Obviously it's far more expensive to go to Ireland, but apart from that just curious what you guys think? Have any of you applied to schools in the states?

So states is going to be 600K tuition alone, so that's a hard pass. My cumulative GPA is around a 3.6 and I'm already in my 5th year and it's basically impossible to bring it up anymore even with A+'s. I'm thinking of doing a masters related to dental, but that won't gaurentee anything in terms of Canada. From what I hear masters doesn't even help your application that much if you GPA is too low (ie. not 3.8 or above). So it's a toss up, and uncertainty is scary haha.

Oh wow, you all have really good stats in terms of GPA and EC's seem pretty good too. Any reason why you are considering Ireland over Canada, even if that means taking another year to get in to a school in Canada? I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of applying to UCC and TCD next year.

In terms of GPA, I have a cGPA of 3.8 and had an interview in Canada this year, however I was rejected. I am reapplying all over Canada next year as well. I have a couple friends who were in the same boat as me last year having interviews in Canada, but rejected. They reapplied this year and were both accepted at UBC so far, waiting on UofA, and have more interviews coming up out east. Obviously it's far more expensive to go to Ireland, but apart from that just curious what you guys think? Have any of you applied to schools in the states?

Ireland was my top choice from the beginning because I've always wanted to study abroad in Europe. By taking this route, I could essentially kill two birds with one stone. I was also considering UK schools but Ireland gives me the option of coming back to Canada.

I'm just surprised by all these high GPAs here. Can't believe that you guys could not make it to a Canadian school... [sigh].

Hi guys, I too was accepted into the UCC 4-Year Graduate Entry Program!

Hey everyone,

I just accepted my offer to UCC! Really can't wait to meet everyone :) Is anyone aware of a Facebook group for our class? Can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

what deadline were those of you that were accepted given to respond to your offers?

what deadline were those of you that were accepted given to respond to your offers?
hey toothfairy88_, I read that you applied as well. Did you receive an offer? As well, do you mind sharing your stats in terms of GPA , Program, EC's?

April 4th is the deadline to pay the deposit and have all of the forms sent back to the ABP. Full tuition isn't required until July.

Last edited:
I called the CDAC (Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada) and they obviously couldn't guarantee an answer but stated that a reciprocal agreement has yet to be terminated between any country and Canada so its unlikely it would happen between Ireland this year. Based on their website, it seems as though the meeting would be taking place in November and the agreement would only be terminated if there were some major differences between the dental programs. The woman on the phone also said that if it was terminated, students involved would be contacted and if you are already enrolled then the agreement should carry over (although that is their assumption). Personally, I am doubtful that it would end as its beneficial for both countries!

Did anybody here apply to Belfast? I saw on the Atlantic Bridge website they conduct interviews. Was wondering if anybody had heard from them about that.

Did anybody here apply to Belfast? I saw on the Atlantic Bridge website they conduct interviews. Was wondering if anybody had heard from them about that.
I've applied to Queens Belfast too. I have not received any emails from them yet.

Double check with Queen's University Belfast, but I do not believe they are included in the reciprocal agreement.

Double check with Queen's University Belfast, but I do not believe they are included in the reciprocal agreement.
I don't believe they are, but I applied to Queens University Belfast anyway because the majority of my family lives in the U.K. and I would move there if QUB is the only school that accepted me.

I've applied to Queens Belfast too. I have not received any emails from them yet.
I just got an email from Belfast asking to complete a form for them. So that means they're sorting through the applications right now and may send out interview invitations soon

I think this is our Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1664410613783889/

Did anyone here apply for an LOC? If so, which bank? I am just curious to see what other people have researched and got offered!

Hey! Im in my second year of the 5 year program, congrats to all who have been accepted! With regards to LOC... it seems that TD and CIBC give the best ones... you should be able to get 275K. If you are accepted to UCC, you won't get an acceptance to Trinity... I think the schools communicate with eachother and select different people. From what I have heard, Trinity's program is problem based learning which is the biggest difference. If anyone has any other questions with regards to the program, living in cork, etc feel free to message me :)

Hey! Im in my second year of the 5 year program, congrats to all who have been accepted! With regards to LOC... it seems that TD and CIBC give the best ones... you should be able to get 275K. If you are accepted to UCC, you won't get an acceptance to Trinity... I think the schools communicate with eachother and select different people. From what I have heard, Trinity's program is problem based learning which is the biggest difference. If anyone has any other questions with regards to the program, living in cork, etc feel free to message me :)
Hey, I'm certain that there was a person from a previous thread that was accepted to both TCD and UCC for dentistry. I was under the impression that the schools acted independently of one another like they do for the med applicants.