Atlantic Bridge dentistry 2017 cycle - Irish dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

I was accepted to TCD in April and will be starting there this fall! Anyone else accepted there? Not sure if a Facebook group has been made or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I just finished my first year at TCD (Trinity) and I remember how nervous I was last year about moving across the ocean. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions any one has about the programs, the reputations and the opinion in Canada about us! Feel free to message me!

Hey guys, any news yet?
Should I assume that I am rejected since I have not received an acceptance yet? U.S application is opening soon and I do not know if I should apply for next cycle and pay another 3-4k for the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, any news yet?
Should I assume that I am rejected since I have not received an acceptance yet? U.S application is opening soon and I do not know if I should apply for next cycle and pay another 3-4k for the application.
Hey, they will send you an official rejection letter. I received one from Cork late in the summer. If you haven't heard back yet thats a good thing, means you're still on the waitlist! Good luck!

Hey, they will send you an official rejection letter. I received one from Cork late in the summer. If you haven't heard back yet thats a good thing, means you're still on the waitlist! Good luck!

Hi! When were you accepted to Trinity (i.e. were you offered a spot later in the summer? or in the first round of admissions?) Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what were your stats like? Were/are they comparable to what other Canadian students in your class have? I am waitlisted at both Cork and Trinity, and like many other students on the forum, I'm trying to gauge whether or not I am likely to be offered a spot? I was under the impression that it is unlikely given that Cork has already offered their second round offers. Lastly, I contacted the Canadian Dental Association and they told me that a large number of students from Irish schools failed their Canadian board exams (they said something like 40-50%). Do you know if this is true? And are the dental schools in Ireland now changing their cirrocumulus in order to better prepare students for the exam?

Hi! When were you accepted to Trinity (i.e. were you offered a spot later in the summer? or in the first round of admissions?) Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what were your stats like? Were/are they comparable to what other Canadian students in your class have? I am waitlisted at both Cork and Trinity, and like many other students on the forum, I'm trying to gauge whether or not I am likely to be offered a spot? I was under the impression that it is unlikely given that Cork has already offered their second round offers. Lastly, I contacted the Canadian Dental Association and they told me that a large number of students from Irish schools failed their Canadian board exams (they said something like 40-50%). Do you know if this is true? And are the dental schools in Ireland now changing their cirrocumulus in order to better prepare students for the exam?
Have you received an email mentioning that you have been waitlisted?

Hey there! I was accepted in late April/ early May. I did my undergrad in chem with a 3.7 GPA and did a Certificate in French Business Writing at the same time as well as an internship as a research and development scientist. I would say we are all fairly comparable, though mostly everyone else's degrees are in Biology (immuno, micro etc.). As far as admissions, I think the program has really taken off and so I think the admission statistics are changing every year. As far as the Boards, I have only heard positive things about the program, I know a few people who have returned to Canada (there are only a few because they have only had reciprocity for ~5 years) and they said they felt well prepared. We have a contact at the CDA who seems to say that we tend to do well on the boards. We start treating patients on our own in second year, so we start a lot earlier than Canadian schools. The curriculum here is aligned with the European regulations and standards, meaning we are also qualified to practice anywhere in Europe. According to Canadian dentists who have hired Irish grads we come out as better clinicians, having more of a focus on diagnosis and treatment, even going so far as to say that he would rather hire Irish grads. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I am so sorry to hear this :( Hope you get into Trinity or Queens.
Thanks so much for the support! It's definitely disappointing but hopefully Trinity or Queens will work out! Has anyone else heard anything ?

I got a rejection from Cork this morning too :(
Now just waiting for the other schools.

To anyone whose currently in one of the programs, whats the academic background of your classmates? Is everyone from a strict science background?

I got a rejection from Cork this morning too :(
Now just waiting for the other schools.

To anyone whose currently in one of the programs, whats the academic background of your classmates? Is everyone from a strict science background?

globetrotter+47 did you get an email from ABP and Cork directly or just from the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @globetrotter+47 , I haven't met anyone who didn't study a strong science, ie. all have Biology, Bio-Chem, Im the only Chemist I know and one Physicist. I think there is a hard focus on reference letters and having a strong reference from academia. Many of us have research experience, i.e. masters level, undergraduate thesis, and internship experience.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
update from ABP: UCC has completed their second round of offers and any additional offers will be dependent on withdraws from students who have already accepted.. let's get withdrawing people! :laugh::laugh: .. just kidding.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, congrats to all who got an offer.

I was just wondering, do you guys know anyone who got an acceptance from either UCC or TCD after May?
Honestly I am very disappointed since I thought i would certainly secure a seat but I am guessing I should be waiting for a rejection letter now. I never thought irish universities are this competitive, I mean I know people with lower DAT and GPA (below 3.5) than me got an offer. I think its not my year :(

Rejections are tough. Irish schools are tough to get into because of there very small class sizes in comparison to American schools.
Many applicants have 3.9 GPAs or above and some master students as well, we also have a couple of professionals such as Vets who have enrolled in dental school. They do care about the overall package, volunteer, research experience etc, but I think grades in core science subjects do matter quite a bit. Also DAT score is not included in the evaluation.

Try Australian schools you may have better luck there, JCU is a school that does not put a big emphasis on marks, apply through Oztrekk if you really impress them at the interview you have a great shot of getting in.

For those who got in, I would recommend making a Facebook group so you can meet your fellow classmates. TCD dentistry 2022 or UCC dentistry 2022

good luck!

I was just wondering, do you guys know anyone who got an acceptance from either UCC or TCD after May?
Honestly I am very disappointed since I thought i would certainly secure a seat but I am guessing I should be waiting for a rejection letter now. I never thought irish universities are this competitive, I mean I know people with lower DAT and GPA (below 3.5) than me got an offer. I think its not my year :(

Hey! I just finished my second year at UCC... last year one of the grad entry students was accepted in August and a direct entry student was accepted in July. If you haven't received a rejection letter there is still hope! I agree with the person below... definitely try for Australia... I think their applications are open now, great programs down there as well... goodluck!

Hi guys, have you made a Facebook page for your class? I suggest doing it....we did it and it helped alot ... you can post the link here

You can also join the existing group at: Log into Facebook | Facebook

if you have any questions about school or living in Ireland in general PM me. Congrats on those that got in and for those who still haven't, never forget that there is always a chance and if not this year then work on your application and reapply

Hey guys!

I am wondering if anyone attending UCC has had any success in finding off-campus apartments in the city. I made the mistake of emailing every apartment manager and telling them I would be studying at UCC in September and am looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Apparently, once you say you are a student, they blacklist you because many buildings do not take students (especially the nicer/newer ones).

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has run into the same issue or can give me some advice.

Thanks.

So if I've only been rejected from one school I am essentially wait listed at the others? Do you think its logical to hold out hope at this point or is it a super long shot?

So if I've only been rejected from one school I am essentially wait listed at the others? Do you think its logical to hold out hope at this point or is it a super long shot?
Have you applied to all 3?

also just got a rejection from cork :(.. nothing from Trinity yet

I know some people in the program that got accepted in August, so I wouldn't give up just yet. Keep your options open (I had applied to a masters before being accepted) but if you receive an acceptance, I would jump on it, the program seems to be getting increasingly competitive. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll stay cautiously optimistic in that case ;). Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck!

Just got a rejection letter from Trinity too. Well, sounds like I'm headed to Queens in September...

also rejected from Trinity on Friday.. didn't apply to Queen's. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Hello all!

I know this is really early, but have any of you applied to the Atlantic Bridge dentistry programs for 2017 entry? I applied and thought I'd start a discussion so we can answer any questions about applying and receiving offers/rejections.

Also, since there is a mutual agreement between Canadian and Irish dental schools, and this is up for review in 2017, could the mutual accreditation end in 2017, making it no longer possible for Irish graduates to work back in Canada?

They don't usually revoke the agreement. I dont think that it will be revoked anytime soon. But if you are an EU citizen (dual) then you should look into the law concerning tuition fees. it is not what people think and they dont want people to know the truth. they are making too much money. The 3 out of year rule is for Maintenace grant not tuition, if you are an Eu citizen! When you enter the EU they dont ask you if you have been residing 3 out of 5 years. They want a valid card or passport.

Hello,

I am a Canadian student who applied to Ireland for Dental school. I applied for the 2018 cycle and I just wanted to know when I should expect to hear from them regarding an offer of admission/regret? I wasn't sure if my GPA was even high enough at a 3.4. I was hoping someone could give me some statistics. I have researched the schools such as Trinity, Cork, etc--they all look absolutely stunning! I just did not know any statistics on them as far as admission averages, extracurriculars, etc. Please inform me if you can. Cheers!

Hello,

I am a Canadian student who applied to Ireland for Dental school. I applied for the 2018 cycle and I just wanted to know when I should expect to hear from them regarding an offer of admission/regret? I wasn't sure if my GPA was even high enough at a 3.4. I was hoping someone could give me some statistics. I have researched the schools such as Trinity, Cork, etc--they all look absolutely stunning! I just did not know any statistics on them as far as admission averages, extracurriculars, etc. Please inform me if you can. Cheers!

I applied to UCC for the 2018 cycle, I have also completed my undergrad. I'm a little nervous about whether my application has actually been sent to the university from the Atlantic Bridge Programs. I have read forums where people received rejections, when they called the university the university didn't even receive their application. Have you applied through the Atlantic Bridge Program?

Hi,

I applied to trinity and cork too!! does anyone know when we hear back? I had an email asking for my grades for trinity where they made me fill out specific biology courses and lab experience, has anyone recieved this too?

do you think we should call the dental schools themselves and check?

Does anyone know the differences between the 4 year graduate entry program at UCC and the five year program? other than the obvious difference in number of years to complete the degree

Hello,

The former is accredited by the CDA while the latter isn't, unfortunately!

Where did you get this information? - UCC is accredited, period. If you graduate from UCC you will be able to return and practice in Canada.
UCCAccredit.png

Has anyone heard of anyone receiving a conditional offer? How does acceptances work if you are still in the process of completing your pre-requisites?