ATLS without animal lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can get ATLS certified without participating in the animal lab. On part of the letter I got with my ATLS manual it said that animal lab is required for certification. As someone who is quite oppposed to such an activity for moral reasons, I imagine that there have been others in the history of ATLS certification who have been as well. Does anyone know if you can do an alternative activity, etc? I was planning on calling the ATLS director tomorrow morning and speaking with him about this.

Members don't see this ad.

we did not have an animal lab as part of our ATLS... all of the practice procedures were done on dummies. our residency had a separate cadaver and animal procedure lab, but they were definitely not a part of ATLS.

we did not have an animal lab as part of our ATLS... all of the practice procedures were done on dummies. our residency had a separate cadaver and animal procedure lab, but they were definitely not a part of ATLS.

That's good to know that it is not done everywhere so it must not be a nationwide requirement. Maybe that will help me. If they say no way, maybe I will try to find a different ATLS course to do (though probably difficult to do with limited time. Thanks la gringa.

Members don't see this ad :)
We did not do an animal lab either. We used dummies as well. Or maybe I shouldn't call our surgery colleagues by such names... :)

Because you can't do a thoracotomy on a pig that's already been split and roasted on a barbeque all day long.

Wasn't referring to using the same pig. You can stop by the nearest mom and pop BBQ joint for some sustinence to allow you to get through the experience. Then you toss Wilbur on the spit. :D

No animal labs here either. Dummies and such.

Wasn't referring to using the same pig. You can stop by the nearest mom and pop BBQ joint for some sustinence to allow you to get through the experience. Then you toss Wilbur on the spit. :D

Yeah, I know you weren't. But GeneralVeers was.

It always worked for Gross Lab in Med School.

You put your cadaver on a spit and barbequed it in Med School?! That's Gross!