ATSU-AZ Rotation Site Accepting Naturopathic Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a one-off or weird thing that isn't important at all, but I was looking at the rotation sites for ATSU-AZ and one of them is HealthPoint in OregonWashington. Here's what the page says:

In addition to our medical school and residency programs, there are over 150 "learners" in our system at any given time. These include

• naturopathic medicine residents
  • psychology residents
  • dental externs
  • medical assistant externs, and
  • students from local colleges.
Is this alarming at all? Why are these people a part of their healthcare network? Shouldn't they actively discourage these practitioners? I could totally be making something out of nothing, but it seems a little weird to have their on their website.

They even have a page dedicated to naturopathic medicine.

"HealthPoint has enjoyed an active partnership with Bastyr University, one of the best medical schools in the country, since beginning its naturopathic medicine program in 1996."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
class2018.jpg

http://www.healthpointchc.org/education/medical

They actually used that photo of their SOMA students. Cringe.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is a naturopathic student?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hahahaha I know what homeopathy is. Are there similarities between the two?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturopathy

Naturopathic medicine involves homeopathy. NDs are gaining increasing medical practice rights in certain states and may start filling PCP roles.

I do have to admit though, I would be remiss if I did not point out that osteopathic medicine still retains some elements of what would be considered "quackery" (i.e. CST, OMM on infants, etc.). Although few DOs still use such techniques and I don't doubt those elements will become extinct in a generation.

This might be a one-off or weird thing that isn't important at all, but I was looking at the rotation sites for ATSU-AZ and one of them is HealthPoint in Oregon. Here's what the page says:

In addition to our medical school and residency programs, there are over 150 "learners" in our system at any given time. These include

• psychology residents
  • dental externs
Is this alarming at all? Why are these people a part of their healthcare network? Shouldn't they actively discourage these practitioners? I could totally be making something out of nothing, but it seems a little weird to have their on their website.

"HealthPoint has enjoyed an active partnership with Bastyr University, one of the best medical schools in the country, since beginning its naturopathic medicine program in 1996."
Wow..."one of the best medical schools in the country". After you get your naturopathic medicine degree there (Bastyr Univ.), you can couple it with their certificate in landscape design. A good backup plan since you won't be employed as a naturopathic medicine professional and will be doing landscape design work for income anyway.

This is appalling. I'm going to tell my Clinical Deans to keep my students away from this place.

This might be a one-off or weird thing that isn't important at all, but I was looking at the rotation sites for ATSU-AZ and one of them is HealthPoint in Oregon. Here's what the page says:

• psychology residents
  • dental externs

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, Health Point is in Washington, not Oregon.

Second off, Naturopathic Medicine, despite being nonsense, is in big demand with the northwest's hippy scene (and there are a lot of hippies in the Northwest).

But the Healthpoint campus seemed decent for my class. Those guys matched pretty well from what I remember.

I was down at the Oregon site (Northwest Regional Primary Care Association), we didn't rotate at any Healthpoint facilities.

I do have to admit though, I would be remiss if I did not point out that osteopathic medicine still retains some elements of what would be considered "quackery" (i.e. CST, OMM on infants, etc.). Although few DOs still use such techniques and I don't doubt those elements will become extinct in a generation.

Interestingly enough, we didn't learn that stuff at ATSU SOMA. I had to try to scramble to learn something about CST for the COMLEX. But I never learned any of it in med-school.

Remember that higher education is a business. If someone wants to pay me to teach them naturopathic medicine, shooooooot, I'll figure it out and teach them. It's kind of like undergrads offering majors that may seem to make no sense. I'm sure they push a good deal of osteopathic medicine on these students, which is nice.

Holistic Landscaping

Reactions: 1 users
Holistic Landscaping

Ok, I thought it was a joke but I wasn't sure. :p

First off, Health Point is in Washington, not Oregon.

Second off, Naturopathic Medicine, despite being nonsense, is in big demand with the northwest's hippy scene (and there are a lot of hippies in the Northwest).

But the Healthpoint campus seemed decent for my class. Those guys matched pretty well from what I remember.

I was down at the Oregon site (Northwest Regional Primary Care Association), we didn't rotate at any Healthpoint facilities.

Does having a "demand" for NDs make it right for a hospital to employ or train them? Shouldn't they be actively educating against these "practitioners"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturopathy

Naturopathic medicine involves homeopathy. NDs are gaining increasing medical practice rights in certain states and may start filling PCP roles.

This CANNOT happen. Everyone should be fighting against this.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is a naturopathic student?

Snake oil salesmen. They do things like herbal medicine, Chinese medicine, acupuncture, and things like that to treat actual medical issues.

Like you know the chiropractors that claim you can cure a cold by letting them pop your back? It's people like that. Essentially they sell this garbage as effective medical alternatives to hippies, people who are distrustful of western medicine, and people who just don't know any better. Like in my home town chiropractors make a killing because it's cheaper than seeing a doctor and "why bother taking a bunch of pills if chiropractor can cure the same thing by popping my back?"

Last edited:
Its all about $

That's pretty depressing. If I'm allowed the choice, hopefully I can avoid doing rotations/residency at a location that would allow these people in their facilities.

Snake oil salesmen. They do things like herbal medicine, Chinese medicine, acupuncture, and things like that to treat actual medical issues.

Like you know the chiropractors that claim you can cure a cold by letting them pop your back? It's people like that. Essentially they sell this garbage as effective medical alternatives to hippies, people who are distrustful of western medicine, and people who just don't know any better. Like in my home town chiropractors make a killing because it's cheaper than seeing a doctor and "why bother taking a bunch of pills if chiropractor can cure the same thing by popping my back?"

I'm gonna be sick. :hungover::depressed::sour::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

With all due respect, even though they not a full pledged physician, they are still a profession. My mom was treated by an ND because she allergic to regular medicine. Please don't disrespect the profession because there are good practitioners too. Some people just cannot handle drugs and have to seek other methods of treatment. As long as not going overboard like these naturalpath

With all due respect, even though they not a full pledged physician, they are still a profession. My mom was treated by an ND because she allergic to regular medicine. Please don't disrespect the profession because there are good practitioners too. Some people just cannot handle drugs and have to seek other methods of treatment. As long as not going overboard like these naturalpath

What does that even mean dude? You can't just be "allergic to medicine". That's not a thing. There's a lot of different types of medicine. Naturopaths need to be banned from existence along with all other quackery. It's literally the same as being a witch doctor.

What does that even mean dude? You can't just be "allergic to medicine". That's not a thing. There's a lot of different types of medicine. Naturopaths need to be banned from existence along with all other quackery. It's literally the same as being a witch doctor.
Understood and point taken. but I just made the point that some people cannot take medication and don't want too. And another point that I made is that not all ND are essentially "witch doctor". I am totally against it though. It just i'm trying to make my point.

That's pretty depressing. If I'm allowed the choice, hopefully I can avoid doing rotations/residency at a location that would allow these people in their facilities.

I'm gonna be sick. :hungover::depressed::sour::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:
Let me realign your aura for you.

There is a lot that could be said here, about a lot of things. In my opinion it's not prudent use of this forum.

Which is why you don't go to a DO school. Apply MD or suck it up and don't expect too much from your rotations bro.

Sort of off topic, but does anyone know anything about their Chicago rotation? I know that DO rotations have a chance of not being as stellar as MD's, but I was wondering if anyone had some info on it. Haven't seen much, usually their California and Hawaii locations are discussed the most

Sort of off topic, but does anyone know anything about their Chicago rotation? I know that DO rotations have a chance of not being as stellar as MD's, but I was wondering if anyone had some info on it. Haven't seen much, usually their California and Hawaii locations are discussed the most

This is their Chicago rotation site: http://www.nearnorthhealth.org/

Thank you! I've seen the site before, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight on their actual experience there (not likely). If I got accepted, this would be the location I would most likely choose so I was curious.

You might have some luck posting in their school-specific thread as accepted students sometimes linger there to answer questions.

You guys obviously don't know Oregon and Washington. Naturopathy and alternative medicine is in major demand

I'm trying to figure out a way to invest and gain a foothold in the marijuana industry. That coupled with OMM...?

$$$$$$

I know you're making a joke but in the PNW (Portland and Seattle at least) you'd make a killing I'm sure.

I'm actually being serious man. I really cannot wait until the marijuana industry is legalized on that federal level. You know how much money there is in it? You should look into it. OMM can already be implemented into family practice you are currently pursuing and you are allowed to prescribe marijuana if your state allows it... I'm sure..?

BTW... you the man SLC. I've enjoyed following your journey on here. :)