ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Denied by KCOM for the 2012 application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
woooo scheduled an interview for 11/18! I'm planning on flying back on the same day as my interview, but at 3:50PM... it must be a pretty local airport, right? So if I leave the site at 2:45 (or 2:30 to be on the safe side) I figure I can make it to the airport on time. I wish I wouldn't have to do that but that's the last dang flight out of Kirksville for that day... oy. And the next day, there's only a flight that lands at midnight in my hometown - I don't think I could afford staying in kirksville an extra ~30 hours (with all that food) including a night. Ugh, annoying!

Anyway, anyone else interviewing 11/18?

woooo scheduled an interview for 11/18! I'm planning on flying back on the same day as my interview, but at 3:50PM... it must be a pretty local airport, right? So if I leave the site at 2:45 (or 2:30 to be on the safe side) I figure I can make it to the airport on time. I wish I wouldn't have to do that but that's the last dang flight out of Kirksville for that day... oy. And the next day, there's only a flight that lands at midnight in my hometown - I don't think I could afford staying in kirksville an extra ~30 hours (with all that food) including a night. Ugh, annoying!

Anyway, anyone else interviewing 11/18?

Congrats!! I'm interviewing here on 10/27. Really excited for it!

I understand your airport difficulties as well. I scheduled my upcoming interviews so that I can catch a flight back to my home town right after the interview. But it's going to cut it pretty darn close. I'm just going to check out of my hotel that morning (before the interview) and catch a taxi to the airport ASAP, followed by a brisk walk through the airport only to stop for the TSA feelers. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure you can call the school and request an early interview so they can accommodate your outgoing flight. It's worth a try!! ;)

Anyway, congrats and good luck to both of us. :cool:

Congrats!! I'm interviewing here on 10/27. Really excited for it!

I understand your airport difficulties as well. I scheduled my upcoming interviews so that I can catch a flight back to my home town right after the interview. But it's going to cut it pretty darn close. I'm just going to check out of my hotel that morning (before the interview) and catch a taxi to the airport ASAP, followed by a brisk walk through the airport only to stop for the TSA feelers. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure you can call the school and request an early interview so they can accommodate your outgoing flight. It's worth a try!! ;)

Anyway, congrats and good luck to both of us. :cool:

All of the interviewees interview at the same time (8am-11am) if I do recall... so if you need to leave after you can, there is a tour and a couple of presentations including OMM... just let them know ahead of time that you might need to leave early for a flight, they should be fine.

Yup, I looked on the schedule online and the interviewing is 8am-11am with some other activities going on until 2:45PM. It's going to be a full-day thing. I decided to buy tickets to come back the next day, by the way - it'll be an extra night but I don't want to be stressed and worried about making it to my flight on the day of my interview... plus, an extra day will give me time to explore Kirksville to be sure I want to spend 2+ years there.

I cancelled my interview for this upcoming thursday. Not sure if someone else has already picked it up. Good luck everyone!

I just got an invitation for an interview from KCOM and I am really excited because this is my first interview and one of my tops schools. Before I get overly excited does anyone know how many students KCOM interviews and of those how many are accepted? Thanks.

I just got an invitation for an interview from KCOM and I am really excited because this is my first interview and one of my tops schools. Before I get overly excited does anyone know how many students KCOM interviews and of those how many are accepted? Thanks.

482 interviewed
386 accepted
172 enrolled

US News

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been waiting for my confirmation code for almost 3 weeks now - I realize it takes time for them to process the application, but from what I've seen, it usually has been 1.5 weeks at the most. Anyone else experiencing this type of waiting period?

So I've been waiting for my confirmation code for almost 3 weeks now - I realize it takes time for them to process the application, but from what I've seen, it usually has been 1.5 weeks at the most. Anyone else experiencing this type of waiting period?

Looks like we're in the same boat. It hasn't been quite 3 weeks yet, but in a couple days it will be. You could try going to https://www.atsu.edu/application/kcom/interview/login.asp to see if you can log in and schedule an interview. Hasn't worked for me, but it might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be going to that website if you haven't been sent an email inviting you to register for an interview. I did have to wait a while to get a confirmation code but if you are worried, why not just call em up?

Shacked up in the hotel for an interview tomorrow. Can't go wrong with MASH and Modern Family on TV.

I just cancelled my Oct 6 interview. Hopefully someone can make use of an early interview date

Just an FYI for those making travel arrangements- the Kirksville airport is maximum 15 minutes from campus, and the school knows that the 3:50 is the last flight out, so no big deal to leave early.

I know a lot of people have concerns about moving from a big city to Kirksville, and coming from Denver I understand. However, I'm really glad I chose to come here because 1) it is nice to be 5 minutes away from anywhere you want to go (school, state park, walmart) 2) you can walk home at night from the bar feeling safe and 3) The AOA president (a KCOM grad) said it best when he gave a speech to our class last week "coming to KCOM is like being in school with your extended family" opposed to being in a big city and going to school with a bunch of strangers.

And if you want to save money- stay with a student!

Hey guys, I know it's late but I just withdrew my interview for next Friday, 10/7. If you call you may be able to snag the interview spot. Good luck to all those applying!! :D

So I just checked my spam looking for an e-mail and guess what I found...an interview invite!!!!!! So if you haven't heard yet, make sure to check your spam. The secondary came to my e-mail no problem, but somehow the interview ended up in my spam...strange

Just withdrew from KCOM.
This opens up an interview on 10/21.
Go grab it!

In the AACOMAS College Information Book it says that the estimated cost of living for SOMA is $38,891. Is that because of relocation after the first year? Even with the relocation that seems kinda steep. Any current students know what's up with that inflated estimate?

In the AACOMAS College Information Book it says that the estimated cost of living for SOMA is $38,891. Is that because of relocation after the first year? Even with the relocation that seems kinda steep. Any current students know what's up with that inflated estimate?

This is the thread for KCOM, there's a thread for SOMA so you should try posting your question there.

Accepted! Interviewed on 9/29. They called me with the news and said I would get a packet in the mail in the next few days.

Invite received today!!! First one, and I am overly excited! Scheduled for 11/17, but going to keep my eyes open for something sooner! I assume that the earlier you interview, the better your chances of acceptance?

Also, it says that you are only allowed to reschedule once by contacting the Admissions. Do I just keep checking their calender, and call when I see an open spot?

Last edited:
What is the reason so many people are withdrawing from KCOM?

I can't speak for everyone but I was accepted to DMU and because I am from des moines and my kids are in school here, and they see they're grandparents who live a couple miles away, there is no chance that I would choose KCOM over DMU, so I would be wasting an interview spot and everyones time. Others may be in a similar situation.

KCOM is a fantastic school and is highly respected but Kirksville really is in the middle of nowhere. I suspect that is the main reason.

Also, it says that you are only allowed to reschedule once by contacting the Admissions. Do I just keep checking their calender, and call when I see an open spot?

Scratch that question. That is precisely what I did and was bumped up to 10/20 (Thank you to whoever dropped it!).

Any other SDN'ers going to be there on that date?

I just got back from an interview at ATSU/KCOM today. Overall, it was a fantastic experience. The day felt very relaxed and low pressure.
One thing to note is that there is 3 hours worth of interviews, but they actually flew by for most of the people I talked to.

This school has definitely jumped up on my list.

I was notified my file was put on-hold for future re-review (post secondary). :( Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know the probability of being invited to interview after being put on-hold? I didn't see anyone else posting of this on-hold status yet this year.

I am not taking classes and am not waiting on any MCAT scores so I believe the hold is one of those we kind of like you and will re-evaluate your file later in the cycle once we have filled some of our class and seen what other applicants are out there. Which is fair but just not sure my probability for future success here.

Interview 11/11/11. Good sign?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm confused as to why it took KCOM over a month to process my secondary. I had my secondary in 8/27 and my LOR in 9/5/2011. I had to call twice and email three times just to get confirmation for my secondary (which wasn't confirmed till today 10/12)....anyone else run into this problem? I feel like it's killing my chances of getting an interview even though my scores are semi-decent (cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 28(V:9, BS: 10, PS: 9).

I'm confused as to why it took KCOM over a month to process my secondary. I had my secondary in 8/27 and my LOR in 9/5/2011. I had to call twice and email three times just to get confirmation for my secondary (which wasn't confirmed till today 10/12)....anyone else run into this problem? I feel like it's killing my chances of getting an interview even though my scores are semi-decent (cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 28(V:9, BS: 10, PS: 9).

Same here. I had to call several times to check my application status. It took about three weeks to get a confirmation code to check the application status.

My file for ATSU-KCOM is complete and I am wondering how long will it take to get reviewed...

Interviewing here tomorrow!! About to leave for the airport :) Anyone else gonna be there tomorrow?

Accepted KCOM Class of 2016! So excited! Good luck to those who are interviewing, this is a great school!

Congrats!!!!
How did you find out?

Last edited:
:soexcited:ACCEPTED!!!!!! I am so excited, KCOM became my Top choice after the interview! Great school reputation, state of the art technology, competitive board scores, rotation options close to home, happy students, and PERFECT community/environment to bring my wife and child into. looks like I'm headed to Missouri!! I still have not heard back from some of other schools I interviewed at, but I don't think it will change anything. Good luck everybody!

How many people are coming to interview for one interview day?

Just withdrew my interview for october 20th. Hope someone can snatch it up that wants it. GL guys :)

For people worried about catching the 350 flight out..dont be. There were 4 of us on it and we had time to do the whole tour and stay for everything and an admissions person drove us to the airport after. Its a one room airport so you really only need to get there 20 minutes before your flight.

I ended up liking this school a lot on interview day.. now I really need to think about where I wanna go....