ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the accepted phone call today from admissions!
Interviewed 11/14, 28/3.5
Really quick turnaround!

Congrats! I interviewed that day, exact same stats also! Maybe I will get a call soon!

Members don't see this ad.

This may have been addressed before but can someone tell me how long KCOM takes to verify receipt of LORs? I sent them in via Interfolio on 10/24 and my status page still shows they have not been received. Seems like a long time to me. I sent them an email and left a voice mail and have not heard back. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do the acceptance phone calls all go out the same day for those who interviewed together? Getting worried since someone I interviewed 11/14 got a call already... Also, for rejections, anyone know if you just get a letter in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I should still submit my secondary here? I got a 23 MCAT, 3.59 cum. GPA and 3.33 science with a lot of volunteering, research, and clinical experience...did anyone with a low MCAT get accepted to KCOM this year? I wonder if they have a cut-off when giving interviews??

Last edited:
Do the acceptance phone calls all go out the same day for those who interviewed together? Getting worried since someone I interviewed 11/14 got a call already... Also, for rejections, anyone know if you just get a letter in the mail?

Calls usually go out together. Rejections come in the mail.

This may have been addressed before but can someone tell me how long KCOM takes to verify receipt of LORs? I sent them in via Interfolio on 10/24 and my status page still shows they have not been received. Seems like a long time to me. I sent them an email and left a voice mail and have not heard back. Any ideas?

I sent my LORs via Interfolio on 10/5, they were sent out on 10/6, but KCOM didn't verify them until 11/2. I had emailed them around 10/20 to see why they weren't verified and they responded that they were busy and would get to it, and that the letters were there, they just couldn't verify them yet. :confused:

I tried calling to see if this was going to negatively affect me since my file wasn't listed as being complete until 11/2, when in reality my stuff was in nearly a month before, but the call went to voicemail.

I sent my LORs via Interfolio on 10/5, they were sent out on 10/6, but KCOM didn't verify them until 11/2. I had emailed them around 10/20 to see why they weren't verified and they responded that they were busy and would get to it, and that the letters were there, they just couldn't verify them yet. :confused:

I tried calling to see if this was going to negatively affect me since my file wasn't listed as being complete until 11/2, when in reality my stuff was in nearly a month before, but the call went to voicemail.

You're submitting your stuff during a busy time, it will take them awhile to get your stuff processed. Just because they received it, does not mean that it has been added to your file just yet. Relax, I know that it sucks but soon the wait will be over.

It has been very quiet around these parts lately!! Anything going on? Interview invites?

How long did it take y'all to get the acceptance packet? I got the call a few weeks ago, so I'm just patiently waiting and hoping that it didn't get lost in the mail.

This is most likely where I'll be going next fall (by choice; got two other acceptances so far), and I'm looking into the student housing so I want to get the form in ASAP.

Agree with the above about it being quiet in here....this school is ballin' so I'm kinda surprised!

I got mine the Saturday after I got the call. You definetly should give them a call since the first deadline is 12/14.

Sent in my first deposit installment in yesterday. Still waiting on a couple of other schools but I didn't want to lose my seat just incase

FINALLy !!!!!! AFTER nearly three weeks of the interview I Got the CALL!!!! Class of 2016!!! :highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited:

Acceptance calls are coming out today!

I just got accepted! Woot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email saying they were going to give me a decision on Jan 18th due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool...blah. More waiting, yay. Has anyone else gotten this email?

Got the packet! Hopefully submitting my deposit today or tomorrow....

Got the packet! Hopefully submitting my deposit today or tomorrow....

What makes you choose this school if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

I am interviewing on Dec. 8th and I am excited for it. When I saw few people are on hold after the interview that the admission committee will make a decision later, I assume that this year's applicants are darn good! Hope I will have a good experience next week here at Kirksville!

Just got an email saying they were going to give me a decision on Jan 18th due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool...blah. More waiting, yay. Has anyone else gotten this email?

There are some students who have gotten the same e-mail

so i just sent in my deposit.....what happens next?!?! Do we get another packet?

What makes you choose this school if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

-first osteopathic school
-solid reputation
-solid clinical sites; stay at one site for 2 years (which I like)
-solid match list; lots of people match allo and osteo specialties
-area reminds me of my hometown; this is the biggest gripe from others but I don't mind it at all
-you actually dissect cadavers; plus the anatomy lab was recently renovated
-they have several simulation labs
-lots of elective choices
-hospital on campus (albeit a small community hospital)
-research opportunities through the research institute
-Truman State U is nearby so their is a bit of college town vibe with bars and stuff
-they place heavy emphasis on wellness/exercise which is right up my alley
-the museum inside has some pretty cool stuff (e.g. dissected nervous system of which there are only 3 in the world allegedly, and one of them is at the Smithsonian)
-friendly students/welcoming atmosphere; my interviews were very conversational and the faculty were very kind
-CHEAP living cost; plus they also have student housing which is obviously limited but I am gunning for it anyways
-HUGE OMM lab

Anyways, these are some of my reasons off the top of my head. I'm sure I could think of more, honestly. If anyone would like to chime in, please do.

It's really a great school and I think most people don't consider this school because of the surrounding area. It is RURAL. There is no argument there, but if you don't mind that (like myself) or if you prefer this type of area, then you will love this school. Feel free to ask any questions about the interview or anything else. I'd love to help.

Last edited:
nov 10
thanksgiving really put my app in the back burner. damn holiday.

nov 10
thanksgiving really put my app in the back burner. damn holiday.

Same here....got my acceptance packet ~3 weeks after my interview (seems like most people get it within 2 weeks). But, I got the call about 4 days after I interviewed.

Congrats on the acceptance!

interviewing here this week,
is it really 3x 1:1 interviews?

Goshh.. I have to decide in 2 weeks..
I loved the feel of the school, but my dad liked DMU better.

Being the first DO school, ATSU definitely keeps connected to its roots. The whole place was like a history museum. And it just felt homey. Is the feel of the school really something to consider as the deciding factor?

Anyone else interview at DMU and pick here? DMU has all the bells and whistles. High tech, comfy rooms... just very modern.

I would agree that DMU does feel very modern, but I feel that KCOM has been modernizing itself in the last couple of years. The differences I saw in KCOM between the two years made me feel really good about the school (i.e anatomy lab improvements, more sim lab stuff). But honestly the difference that I feel between KCOM and DMU is that I feel like everyone at KCOM wants everyone to succeed, and ultimately that is what I am going to school for... I am from Des Moines and while it would be nice to be at home and have a big city to do things in, I feel I would be easily distracted... maybe this is just because I did my undergrad in a town of <10,000 people...

same here. January is going to be a HUGE MONTH!

Just paid the acceptance fee. I'm pretty pumped up already.

Goshh.. I have to decide in 2 weeks..
I loved the feel of the school, but my dad liked DMU better.

Being the first DO school, ATSU definitely keeps connected to its roots. The whole place was like a history museum. And it just felt homey. Is the feel of the school really something to consider as the deciding factor?

Anyone else interview at DMU and pick here? DMU has all the bells and whistles. High tech, comfy rooms... just very modern.

Hmainn, come to DMU with me. I have to make a decision soon, too. Despite having a good friend at KCOM and feeling a strong connection with KCOM, I'm taking my chances at DMU. They are putting their money where their mouth is and improving the school each year. They listen to the students and provide them with resources. Most medical schools jack up the prices for school and give nothing in return to the students. DMU sees otherwise. Come join the purple club! You'll have more things to do at Des Moines in general! :)

Hmainn, come to DMU with me. I have to make a decision soon, too. Despite having a good friend at KCOM and feeling a strong connection with KCOM, I'm taking my chances at DMU. They are putting their money where their mouth is and improving the school each yea They listen to the students and provide them with resources. Most medical schools jack up the prices for school and give nothing in return to the students. DMU sees otherwise. Come join the purple club! You'll have more things to do at Des Moines in general! :)

And KCOM doesn't? No comprendo...they just finished multi million dollar renovations all geared towards the students success.

And KCOM doesn't? No comprendo...they just finished multi million dollar renovations all geared towards the students success.

:thumbup: <--- I guess that is all I am good for positing here, but I do agree with you. I felt like KCOM cared about students more.

Well their cousin DMU did the same a few years ago as well. I'm just saying what does KCOM have that requires 4,000 more in tuition? Not being mean or anything. I wanted to go to KCOM at first (still not 100% sure). I did have a warmer than usually feeling at KCOM but I think it's the small town charm. I had that growing up in my hometown that was just as small as Kirksville. I could relate to each one of the people I interviewed with at KCOM. However, I'm not going to say that DMU doesn't seem good either. The bottom line is I'm not taking shots at KCOM. It was a general statement. I hold a higher level of respect for KCOM because they gave me the same respect. I'm just saying look at the big picture (my big picture), I want to do surgery. Bottom line. I told KCOM that, and I told DMU that, too...straight up during my interview. I wasn't going to hide it. They both embraced it. With that said, DMU has the surgical skills lab and higher scores on tests both COMLEX and USMLE (students have high GPAs though coming into DMU which is probably why) to get me where I want to be. Throw in the amount of people who get AOA and ACGME spots, rounds it up for me. If I don't do surgery then that is fine, but they will give me an opportunity to do everything equally well. You might say that it all depends on the individual in regards to whether or not I want to succeed. Although this is true, if I know the guy next to me is going to give me a run for my money, I'm going to want to go for it even more. A little bit of friendly competition never hurt.

^^good answer

I didn't take it as an insult to the school, just wanted to clarify. DMU is a great school and I'm sure you will love it.

Today, I just received an email from ATSU KCOM saying this:

"Due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool this year, the Admissions Committee has decided to release a decision regarding your application on January 18, 2012. We will be contacting you with the information as soon as the decision is available from the Admissions Committee. Thank you for your patience."

When you go to your interview, make it count!

accepted today! i am so excited! love this school! :luck:

Today, I just received an email from ATSU KCOM saying this:

"Due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool this year, the Admissions Committee has decided to release a decision regarding your application on January 18, 2012. We will be contacting you with the information as soon as the decision is available from the Admissions Committee. Thank you for your patience."

When you go to your interview, make it count!

Of course...especially if its a $1000 trip (like it was for me).

accepted today! i am so excited! love this school! :luck:

Congrats!

Accepted yesterday! Pumped! Good luck to everyone.

Congrats to the new acceptances!! If you go to the Osteopathic Discussions and then to Class Disucssions, under our thread there is a link to the facebook group for our class.

First off CompuMod, I agree that you are not KCOM bashing, which I really do appreciate. Too many people bash their colleagues on SDN! It's refreshing to have someone who can be critical without being disrespectful. I am going to give my two cents on the DMU vs KCOM debate because I have been accepted to both and chose KCOM over DMU.
You asked" what does KCOM have that requires 4,000 more in tuition?" well first of all it will cost you more to live in Des Moines. I know it's not a ton more but it's still more and 200-300 dollars a month adds up. Further, you have the potential to incur much greater travel costs because of all the elective rotations you have to fill at DMU. I know this varies a lot from person to person, but for me and my family 16,000 extra to have 2 years more or less in the same spot is well worth it especially with three sites within 3 hours of both of our families. Also KCOM is one of only 5 med schools in the country (the only DO school) to have integrated ultrasound in their curriculum. They have 4 or 5 state of the art ultrasound machines that students learn to use and apply to what they are learning the other 4 schools are all elite MD schools. (At least that was what we were told on my interview day)
I want to do surgery Throw in the amount of people who get AOA and ACGME spots, rounds it up for me. I will admit that DMU outshines KCOM in surgery prep. However for fun I looked up the number of surgery placements for each school I included any residency with the word surgery so plastics, general, ortho everything. KCOM had 14 in 2007 and 9 in 2010 with a class size of about 172 gives you an average of 6.7% of its students went into surgery. DMU 2010 had 16, in 2008 and 15, in 2010 with a class size of 219 for an average of 7.1 % of its students going into surgery. So yes 7.1% is greater than 6.7% but I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference and most likely due to DMU attracting more people who "think" they want to go into surgery. The overall quality of surgery residencies might be greater with DMU but I doubt there is a big difference. Also check out the other placements, KCOM puts students into very competitive residencies on a regular basis. Not that DMU doesn't, I'm just pointing out why I think that DMU has no advantage over KCOM with regards to future career opportunities. DMU does have a little better board scores but it really does come down to you, both schools as you said will prepare you very well.

My critique of DMU was that their overall attitude was less genuine and not as friendly, but still better than most schools. I thought DMU knew and said all the right buzz words like family friendly, friendly students, caring facility, ect. But I didn't see as much evidence it was true like I did at KCOM. It felt more like I was getting sold something, I know every school is trying to sell you their school they just seemed more sales man like and less real. I just didn't feel it like I did a KCOM. I think that DMU vs KCOM comes down to personal preference for me being from a small town I loved Kirksville, having a family I was impressed with how KCOM provides for their students who have families( nursing suite, family night, gym with free child care system) and by how many students were married and had kids, the rotations seem to be a perfect fit with what my family and I would like to do, and I don't think there is any DO school that has better a reputation or more technology than KCOM several are similar but I would not say better. For me it was a clear choice once I laid it all out. For you it may be different. My interviewer at KCOM asked where I flew into and when I said Des Moines she said oh so you have an interview their too, and proceeded to complement the school and explain how DMU and KCOM are friendly competitors who both have excellent programs and get the best students she said pick the place that fits you the best and you won't regret it, which ever school that is. I agree with her DMU is a great school and I look forward to working alongside those who have attended DMU, but for me KCOM is the better choice.

Wow, that is expensive. Did you take advantage of KCOM's Student Ambassador Live-In Option? FYI for all those other students interviewing at KCOM, the Student Ambassadors are AWESOME! They love KCOM and yet are also honest about their school.

withdrew my invite for 12/19!! good luck to u all!!

What is the GPA/MCAT stats of the recent class?

Is it too late to apply? How many seats are still left?

What is the GPA/MCAT stats of the recent class?

27 MCAT, 3.49cGPA, 3.38sGPA

Is it too late to apply? How many seats are still left?

It's pretty darn late. No idea how many seats are left, but if you think you are competitive, go ahead and apply. What made you consider applying here?

I heard that the admission committee meets on every Wednesday. Does this mean that they call people for acceptances on every Wednesday?

Hi All,
I scheduled my interview for 1/12. I had a few questions concerning the entire process, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

-What airport/airline did you use?
-Good places to stay/eat in Kirksville?
-Any tips or advice on the interview?

Congratulations on your acceptances,

PNN

Hi All,
I scheduled my interview for 1/12. I had a few questions concerning the entire process, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

-What airport/airline did you use?

American Airlines...flew into STL and drove to K-ville

-Good places to stay/eat in Kirksville?

Ate at the Subway located in Wal-Mart. Not sure about other places, but I'm sure there are several good restaurants

-Any tips or advice on the interview?

Relax, take a deep breath, be yourself

Congratulations on your acceptances,

Thank you...good luck on your interview

PNN

Mbeas