ATSU KCOM Masters of Biomedical Science Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myzou2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I decided to create a new thread for people applying and or accepted to the ATSU-KCOM Masters of Biomedical Science class of 2012. The other threads for the program are all old. The application deadline has already passed. I am just playing the waiting game for an interview, wish me luck. I've been communicating with present and past students, and it seems like a great program. Feel free to share your thoughts on the program and update everyone on your application status.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. Good luck with the interview process. I have actually already interviewed at ATSU and was accepted to their Biomedical program this past week. It is a great program for the price. However, I am still not sure if I am going to accept, because Midwestern University was also a program I was accepted to, and I really like the Chicago area.

If you have any questions about the interview process let me know.

That's great you were accepted to the program. I am curious about the interview. How long it was, type of questions they asked? Did you apply early to the program, and how long did it take to hear back after your application was received?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as applying goes, I had everything in by Christmas.

For the interview, it was pretty standard. It took from about 8-3pm. You are interviewed by two faculty members and an admission individual. For myself, they focused what I had written in my personal statement and on my CV. I know that one of the interviewers asks potential students a chemistry question, but luckily for me instead he talked to me about my research. They will also ask about what your future plans are, strengths/weakness, etc.

I heard back with in two weeks of my acceptance, which was considered early admissions. I believe for those that are not selected for early admissions, everyone will here by beginning to mid April.

Thanks for sharing. I just received an invitation to interview for the 21st of March.

Just received a acceptance email from Dr. Sexton earlier today. Just wondering if anyone else out there has heard anything yet? I look forward to starting the program and getting to know all of my new classmates. I'll probably be moving to Kirksville the beginning of June.

Just received a acceptance email from Dr. Sexton earlier today. Just wondering if anyone else out there has heard anything yet? I look forward to starting the program and getting to know all of my new classmates. I'll probably be moving to Kirksville the beginning of June.

I got my acceptance letter earlier this week too! Nice to meet you =) Are you going to be living in the dorms the first year or find an apartment?

Nice to meet you too. I don't know exactly where I'll be living. I currently live in Columbia, MO which is only about an hour and a half from Kirksville. With Kirksville not to far away I will probably head up there a few times to look at apartments. I didn't realize there are campus housing available. Do you have any information on them, and have you decided on your living arrangements yet? I emailed Brett, in admissions, a few questions I had about apartments, when we get our email addresses set up, if we have access to a student listserv, if the work study can be done for both years or just the first, just general questions. I should get a response on Monday and I'll post it on here.

Oh. I'm from California, so I'm not sure what I am going to do about my living arrangements... I figured I will email one of the student ambassadors, from the interview, and get her insight on what she did her first year. When I get her response I will let you know. Have you heard back from bret yet?

I received an email from Brett yesterday. Here is what he wrote:

1) The university does not provide the health insurance that's required of incoming students. You'll have to go through an outside provider. Let me know if you need any other info on this matter and I'll get you in contact with someone who can help you out.
2) Unfortunately, until the acceptance agreements are in and the class is set, I don't know all the email addresses of incoming students. Remind me in later May and I'll give you a list of what I have. By that time, we'll have a better understanding of the class.
3) Once you send in your admissions agreement, the ITS department will give you info on setting up your ATSU account.
4) Yes, there are housing services that we'll provide for you. Once you receive your ATSU login, that will give you access to the ATSU housing database. There, you can search available properties in town. I can also provide some assistance if that doesn't give you results you're looking for. Although, I think you'll have no problem finding someplace that suits you.
5) Yes, you will need to send in the most recent official transcripts from your university, even though you sent in a copy for your Bio-Med application.

I tested the link and it should work. Let me know if you're still having problems accessing the payment page and I'll help you out.

I just found out that the on campus housing is completely full for the upcoming school year. It wasn't really surprising though, with there only being 44 units available. Also, once ATSU gets your deposit the ATSU portal is a very helpful tool. It provides: a list of all the students and their email addresses; student discussion section; links to information for each class; Google documents and a lot of other useful information. I just link the ATSU email with my current gmail account making it easier than having two email addresses.

Thanks for the information! For housing, I think I have to come up a month or two in advance to get everything situated. As for insurance, I have get the details straighten out on my end. This is going to be a big processes getting everything figured out...sigh. hahah

I am looking into health insurance too. Another thing I have to get done before too long. Once you get access to the ATSU portal it has a housing search tool. Kirsville.craigslist.org and facebook market app are other good places to search for housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the different websites. I am also stuck with the dilemma of choosing between living alone and having a roommate. If I can find something cheap enough then more than likely I'll be living by myself. It seems like there are a lot of available housing options in Kirksville which is a relief.

http://www.4horizonsrealty.com/

There is Wagner Enterprise. They do not have a website, but have some apartments on the square. If you want their number PM me.

I seen Heritage House (http://www.kirksvillerealestate.com/) listed earlier. They are currenlty building new aparments close to the square. They also have the Vista Heights apartments where students from KCOM live.

http://www.actionpropertiesllc.net/search.html

Thanks for the information. Are you currently attending KCOM?

Last edited:
Yes, I am a current Biomed. If you have any question let me know.

Awesome! I have lots of questions. Haha. Since the program starts in July... and most least start in August. How did you go about finding your housing?

I used Four Horizons and Heritage House. However, I am moving soon and went through Wangers. Most realty places will work with you if you need to be in before July 5. You may also get lucky and the renter may be leaving before their lease is up and you can take over in June. I would call the realty companies and see what is and could be available in June.

Hey Guys,

I got accepted into the programming but need to find a place to live asap seeing as we start in early july. If anyone needs a roommate or knows of places for rent let me know.

Thanks

I am going up soon to look at places to live. I'll let you know if I hear of anything available, or see anything worth looking at. I am open to finding a roommate, but hoping to get my own place.

So, I've been putting off going up to Kirksville to look at apartments. I am finally going up this Thursday. Has everyone found a place to live yet?