ATSU of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spb103

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

------What are my chances at this school??
I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Give it a try! The admissions committee here is amazing! I had very similar academic and clinical experiences to yours, and faced the same struggles. You miss a 100% of shots you don't take. I almost didn't apply here ...but ended up applying, interviewed, got accepted and just got done with first year here! It's a great school!

Look, you can give it a try if you'd like, but honestly, the competition is stiff and under 3.0 science where now the majority of your good grades are because you took the class twice will simply not cut it. I understand how finances can get in the way, but unfortunately, the system doesn't forgive, especially when they know anyone can get a student loan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try posting these questions in the school specific threads instead of making a new thread about every school. You'll get information from people who recently were accepted to that school as well as current students. Here, you'll pretty much just get info from other pre DOs and medical students who, while providing valuable input in their own right, may not attend that specific school.

I personally think that you could go through a very long and drawn out process of applying and end up at a new DO school SOMEWHERE. But as a NJ resident, you should really just bite the bullet and do an SMP so you can apply to Rowan. Yes, SMP's are expensive and a gamble. But the reward is staying close to home with dirt cheap tuition that will save you money in the long run.

While no one really knows what will happen with the grade replacement stuff as this is the first cycle without it, I'd personally be surprised if you got an interview at any established school besides Rowan. That includes ATSU of course.

Try posting these questions in the school specific threads instead of making a new thread about every school. You'll get information from people who recently were accepted to that school as well as current students. Here, you'll pretty much just get info from other pre DOs and medical students who, while providing valuable input in their own right, may not attend that specific school.

I personally think that you could go through a very long and drawn out process of applying and end up at a new DO school SOMEWHERE. But as a NJ resident, you should really just bite the bullet and do an SMP so you can apply to Rowan. Yes, SMP's are expensive and a gamble. But the reward is staying close to home with dirt cheap tuition that will save you money in the long run.

While no one really knows what will happen with the grade replacement stuff as this is the first cycle without it, I'd personally be surprised if you got an interview at any established school besides Rowan. That includes ATSU of course.

Wait, why would you be surprised? I have received feedback from others as well saying that I should not be too discouraged as some schools GPA cutoffs are at 2.8. My GPA is honestly my only drawback in my entire application. I am also applying to the newer DO schools. If every school played strictly a numbers game as youre implying, then the quality of our physicians would definitely be lagging..

Wait, why would you be surprised?
Because cutoff for receiving a secondary and cutoff for interview/admission are different things. They of course encourage you to apply because then they can take your $50+ secondary fee and then reject you.

Not trying to hurt your feelings or anything. I'm trying to save you money and potentially from the hell that is reapplying. But hey, you do you man.

Chances are not good tbh with your academic record.

Would take time to rebuild your GPA even if that means waiting a few years to save up or borrow federal loans.

Moving to WAMC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile