ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
really feeling "weird" about this whole 1+3 thing. anyone else hesitant on it?

Second year is still didactic, it's just at the CHC and you spend a couple days a week at the clinic. The material is available online. I don't remember if you go through material as a group or not, it probably depends on the CHC.

The school tweaks the curriculum every year based on student feedback, so I think a lot of the bugs with this system have been worked out at this point. I was more skeptical of this model when I first heard about it but after talking to students (including graduates) and reading the old applicant threads, I have no reservations about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how it happened, but somehow the email for my interview invite got deleted and I can't find it anywhere. Could somebody PM or post on here the context of the email, because if I remember, there is some important info I need for the interview day. Thanks in advance!

hey guys,

quick question about the secondary. It asks for a verifiable contact for the clinical experience. I was wondering how often the school actually uses this to call and verify the activities. I'm not asking because I made up stuff or anything, but I'd like to give some of the coordinators a heads-up about it so it's not awkward. I guess I'm a little nervous because it stresses it a lot on the secondary page that you MUST PUT IN VERIFIABLE CONTACT INFO blah blah... it sounds intimidating. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

quick question about the secondary. It asks for a verifiable contact for the clinical experience. I was wondering how often the school actually uses this to call and verify the activities. I'm not asking because I made up stuff or anything, but I'd like to give some of the coordinators a heads-up about it so it's not awkward. I guess I'm a little nervous because it stresses it a lot on the secondary page that you MUST PUT IN VERIFIABLE CONTACT INFO blah blah... it sounds intimidating. lol.

yea this was kind of weird for me, too. i volunteered @ one clinic that had no official hours log, so there really is no way to say how many hours I did. (i left this off the secondary).

but i let the other experience contacts know that i put them on my app.

hey guys,

Just put it in. Last year I was interviewed at SOMA and all I did was look up phone numbers for the places I volunteered at. I didn't even know the people I listed. Imagine how much work that would be for them to call all those places. It's there for intimidation basically. Just know that, like anywhere else, anything you put down on a secondary is fair game in an interview and that includes all clinical/volunteering experiences.

Got an interview yesterday but the two friday's in September do not work. Anyone know if they are going to add some October dates?

Got an interview yesterday but the two friday's in September do not work. Anyone know if they are going to add some October dates?

i actually e-mailed them and said that because of my work schedule I can't do those. they said more interviews would eventually open in october when those 2 filled. just schedule for the later one (because of the 3 week limit) and reschedule when they offer oct ones.

anybody know how long it takes for ATSU-SOMA to send out their final decision after one's interview date?

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker, but this is my first post.

I scheduled an interview with AZCOM for 9/22 and an interview with SOMA for 9/23. Does anyone in the area have a couch they would be willing to let me sleep on? Or, even a 6 foot piece of floor? I could reimburse any takers with dinner or a bottle of wine, whatever you prefer... Haven't really tried this before, so I'm not familiar with the etiquette...sorry.

I basically broke my bank flying from Alaska, so anyone willing to help me out is greatly appreciated (read: you would be a saint). At the very least, if anyone knows of hotels conveniently located close to the two schools, please let me know. PM me if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else out there interviewing the 8th/9th of Sept?
I'm interviewing on the 9th as well. I've tried going on interview feedback to get an idea of what kinds of questions are asked on the interview, but for some reason, whenever I click on "Osteopathic Schools," all the allopathic ones come up. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm interviewing on the 9th as well. I've tried going on interview feedback to get an idea of what kinds of questions are asked on the interview, but for some reason, whenever I click on "Osteopathic Schools," all the allopathic ones come up. Anyone else experiencing this?

There are a lot of different questions, as many as there are interviewers, no real way to anticipate what you'll be asked.

theres a drop box; set it to osteopathic again

Its been quiet here for a little while. Any interview invites out there?

i called admissions last week and they said that a decision had been made and that i would be contacted soon. It's been a week and I haven't got an email or letter. They said they don't know if its a interview invite or not, but its been a week and I still haven't received anything saying that I could schedule an interview or that I had been rejected? How long does this process usually take? :confused:

I called the admissions office and they told me it takes 3-4 weeks from the time that your application is complete for them to inform you of a decision (either interview invite or rejection).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know the percentage of interviewees ATSU typically accepts?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know the percentage of interviewees ATSU typically accepts?

Early on, I can't say for sure. I interviewed in February last year and they were about 1/2 full meaning they probably accepted 1/3 to 1/4 of the people before me.

SLC

Hi,

does anyone know if a letter from my medical anthropology professor would suffice for the faculty LOR? I don't have a premed committee and the med anthro class was pretty science heavy.

thanks!

Hi,

does anyone know if a letter from my medical anthropology professor would suffice for the faculty LOR? I don't have a premed committee and the med anthro class was pretty science heavy.

thanks!

I think that would work for a faculty LOR. It was a medical related class so I think it would work. I got my faculty LOR from a pre-med professor who taught multiple biology related classes; he also has his PhD :)
Good luck! I'm waiting on my doctor LOR before submitting my secondary! Getting super excited!

Well, I am sad to say that I withdrew my application to SOMA. There is now an open interview date on Sept 23rd. First come, first serve. And good luck to everyone!:luck:

how did the interview go for everyone who had it today? anyone want to share their experience?

I interviewed yesterday. It was my first one so I don't have any reference level. Everyone was really nice, the student ambassadors are great, and overall the day was pretty relaxed.

I was extremely nervous in my interview and I don't think I performed as well as I could have. I think a lot of the pressure was because this school in particular is quite high on my list (if not #1) so I felt like I had to be perfect, which I was not. Maybe I am just being hypercritical of myself. I didn't walk out of the interview with a bad feeling, but I didn't feel like it went great, like a lot of other people seemed to.

They told us the committee would meet next Tuesday, but that they would probably need another week to get through all the files, so decisions would be about anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

I interviewed yesterday. It was my first one so I don't have any reference level. Everyone was really nice, the student ambassadors are great, and overall the day was pretty relaxed.

I was extremely nervous in my interview and I don't think I performed as well as I could have. I think a lot of the pressure was because this school in particular is quite high on my list (if not #1) so I felt like I had to be perfect, which I was not. Maybe I am just being hypercritical of myself. I didn't walk out of the interview with a bad feeling, but I didn't feel like it went great, like a lot of other people seemed to.

They told us the committee would meet next Tuesday, but that they would probably need another week to get through all the files, so decisions would be about anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

They split us up into 8 groups of around 6-8 people. That was your group for the day. Group 1 would interview first; 2 would go second and so forth. Some people had 1 interviewer, while others had 2. I don't think anyone in my group had 3 interviewers. Presentations would also be given at different times for different groups. There was a lot of moving around and they showed a pretty funny video at one point.

I felt pretty nervous in my interview, too. It wasn't my first, but it definitely wasn't my best interview.

They split us up into 8 groups of around 6-8 people. That was your group for the day. Group 1 would interview first; 2 would go second and so forth. Some people had 1 interviewer, while others had 2. I don't think anyone in my group had 3 interviewers. Presentations would also be given at different times for different groups. There was a lot of moving around and they showed a pretty funny video at one point.

I felt pretty nervous in my interview, too. It wasn't my first, but it definitely wasn't my best interview.

so lemme just clarify: they interviews are group ones or individual?

does anyone know if there is a limit to how many LORs you can send? I know they require two but I would like to send three more (one from another DO, one from an employer, and one from a nonscience professor).

does anyone know if there is a limit to how many LORs you can send? I know they require two but I would like to send three more (one from another DO, one from an employer, and one from a nonscience professor).

i sent in more than 2, but i would try to limit the number and only send in extra if you're pretty sure they're strong recommendations.

I think they take more than two. I called admissions and got directed to Kirksville's, who told me more than two was fine. I sent more than two to SOMA.

Submitted my secondary today! I feel relieved that it's done but still nervous that I didn't get it in until now. I really hope I hear back :xf:

Anyone know of how long their taking to send out invites after supplemental complete email?

Anyone know of how long their taking to send out invites after supplemental complete email?

Current 1st Year SOMA student here.

I asked this exact question of the ADCOM last year when I applied and they told me that they invite for interviews on the basis of competitiveness. Meaning if you submit a supplemental in October and they like it, they could ask you for an interview immediately, if they're lukewarm on it, you may not get an interview for a while.

That's not to say that just cause an interview invite took a few weeks to come in, that the school isn't enthusiastic about an applicant. It could just mean that they didn't get it reviewed very fast. I'm just saying that if you get an interview very quickly after completing the supplemental you're in a pretty good spot.

We just had our first interview last week, there will be another coming up in another week or so. For those who are just getting supplementals in, you're not really that late yet.

SLC

Interview 10/28! Excited! This is a top school for me!

So I understand there is a personal interview and a file review on interview day. Is it true that during the file review they only have our aacomas and transcripts and the people that are doing our personal interview only have our personal statement, secondaries, and LORs? If anyone who already interviewed could share what kind of questions they asked during each part would be greatly appreciated.

So I understand there is a personal interview and a file review on interview day. Is it true that during the file review they only have our aacomas and transcripts and the people that are doing our personal interview only have our personal statement, secondaries, and LORs? If anyone who already interviewed could share what kind of questions they asked during each part would be greatly appreciated.

You understand correctly, and the questions are varied. No real way to tell you what types of things to expect. Just relax and be yourself, you'll come out fine in the end.

Just called admissions to check the status on my app cause it shows "application pending" for my LOR's and MCAT scores when they should be received already. The lady at admissions says my secondary is not showing up and its been a week since I submitted it :eek: To make matters worse, she said they were all caught up to Friday last week and I submitted on Wed! Talk about getting my nerves going! I really hope all goes well with this :scared:

I just received an e-mail invite from ATSU-SOMA to complete the secondary application. In the e-mail, they state that for purposes of identification that all letters of recommendation must have my full legal name and AACOMAS ID number. Unfortunately, my LORs were submitted to my premedical advisor months ago, long before I knew about this. Is it sufficient for my advisor to include this information with my pre-medical committee packet (which includes all letters), or will I have to have my physician/professors re-do their letters? Thanks.

I didn't have my ID number on my LORs and they were received just fine! But, I did have the ATSU cover sheet attached to them. It asked to fill out your name and ID. And then, I had my LOR writers sign and fill out their contact info on that sheet as well.

I just received an e-mail invite from ATSU-SOMA to complete the secondary application. In the e-mail, they state that for purposes of identification that all letters of recommendation must have my full legal name and AACOMAS ID number. Unfortunately, my LORs were submitted to my premedical advisor months ago, long before I knew about this. Is it sufficient for my advisor to include this information with my pre-medical committee packet (which includes all letters), or will I have to have my physician/professors re-do their letters? Thanks.

Asking your advisor to include this information in you final submission should be sufficient.

I didn't have my Full name of ID directly attached to my letters, however when I submitted them via Interfolio I used th ID number to referance my identity... (basically the equivilence of you asking your advisor to include that information alson with the letters)

Thanks for answering my earlier question. I have one more: in the "Clinical, Volunteer or Community Service" section, I am asked to list volunteer clinic/health experiences. While I do have a volunteer experience to list, I have gained the majority of my clinical experience through a paid position as a medical assistant (which includes many charity cases for the uninsured). Should I include my experience as a medical assistant and/or my shadowing experience, even though they are not technically volunteering?

It doesn't say clinical volunteer it says clinical, volunteer... They are separate categories

I never actually talked to the school about it but I put in my paid experiences. I just marked it clearly as paid. I wouldn't have very much to put in there if I didn't.

hey guys!

anyone flying out from Chicago to Phoenix and then planning on taking the T.T. Shuttle to their hotel for the 10/14 interview??? Its that 70 dollar package deal where they take you from the skyharbor airport to the hotel, then hotel to the school and then from the school back to the airport. Also those who have interviewed or will be interviewing what hotels did you guys stay in? I am thinking of staying in sleep inn.

hey guys!

anyone flying out from Chicago to Phoenix and then planning on taking the T.T. Shuttle to their hotel for the 10/14 interview??? Its that 70 dollar package deal where they take you from the skyharbor airport to the hotel, then hotel to the school and then from the school back to the airport. Also those who have interviewed or will be interviewing what hotels did you guys stay in? I am thinking of staying in sleep inn.

I ended up renting a car for my interview a few days ago. Used Payless for the rental and it came out to about $68, cheaper if you're over 25. I stayed at the Sleep Inn as well. I thought my room was clean and nice, and they even had free breakfast in the morning. There was a whole 4 cars in the parking lot of the hotel so it was pretty dead, but hey, it's the Sleep Inn, not the Ritz Carlton. I figured as long as there weren't cockroaches running across my face in the middle of the night, the hotel room would suffice.