ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I just got an interview invite for ATSU-SOMA, and I'm really excited for it! My date's at the end of October. I was wondering, what kind of dress code should we follow for the social?

when were you complete? I am trying to judge where I am in the application process. I was complete at the end of September.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today!! So incredibly happy!! Interviewed 9/9. oos.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone interviewing on 11/11 and planning on taking the TT airport shuttle from skyharbor international to the hotel? That 70 dollar package deal that is on the school's website? i think i am taking that and planning on staying at the sleep inn. anyone flying out from Chicago to phoenix?

PM me if you have any question regarding the school.

when were you complete? I am trying to judge where I am in the application process. I was complete at the end of September.

I got the complete email on 9/19, and the interview invite on 10/7. Hope that helps!

They should give out more acceptances today! I'm from the 9/22 group and I think it is our turn.

Withdrew my application today, and cancelled my interview for 10/28. Good luck everyone!

Withdrew my application today, and cancelled my interview for 10/28. Good luck everyone!

Congrats, it's good to see the success you're having! I still think you should have come to your interview here, this school is something special! Regardless, congrats!

Congrats, it's good to see the success you're having! I still think you should have come to your interview here, this school is something special! Regardless, congrats!

Hey SLC, any idea of those of us that interviewed on 9/23 will hear back this week?

It would have been great to get a broad range of interview experiences, but unfortunately finances have been wracking up throughout this whole process and I really had to list my choices of schools carefully. I considered what people have been telling me on here and in person, as well as the feelings of my loved ones. Fortunately, I've been accepted to my #2 school and thus have withdrawn from all other schools :)

Hey SLC, any idea of those of us that interviewed on 9/23 will hear back this week?

No idea, they don't involve us (students) in the admissions process at all. I heard they were behind, but I have no idea how behind they are. I imagine it's gotta be coming soon.

i will be withdrawing my acceptance within the next few days...hope it goes to one of ya'll !

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone interviewing 11/11, staying at the sleep inn in Mesa? Its really close to the school

just got the phone call....accepted!! (interviewed 9/23)

looking forward to the e-mail (she said it should come in a couple of days...)

30ish MCAT, 3.74ish GPA, chemistry major, lots of research, lots of volunteering, minimal shadowing, from Nebraska, second year applying...

woohoo!! oh and congrats to everyone else...

:soexcited::highfive::claps::woot::banana:

Accepted!!!!!! Interviewed 10/14!!

Accepted! Congrats to everyone else who got the call! Hang in there everyone else who is still waiting to hear back.

They call you? What happens if you're waitlisted? I'm just curious as I interview next Friday...

Hey everyone, quick question...

I submitted my secondary and everything around the end of september. I just got the e-mail from the school with my confirmation number yesterday. Do I keep looking on this status page for interview invites or do they e-mail you? I am assuming the confirmation number means I am "complete" now and under review?

They call you? What happens if you're waitlisted? I'm just curious as I interview next Friday...

I didn't get a phone call. I got a letter in the mail saying I was on their alternate list. The letter took about a month to show up though, so I don't know if that was because they were behind or what. Good luck on the interview!

Hey everyone, quick question...

I submitted my secondary and everything around the end of september. I just got the e-mail from the school with my confirmation number yesterday. Do I keep looking on this status page for interview invites or do they e-mail you? I am assuming the confirmation number means I am "complete" now and under review?

Yup! The confirmation number only lets you check that you're complete. They'll email you an invite.

Any advice for this situation? I interview at SOMA 10/28. LECOM-Erie accepted me, and I need to have my deposit to them by 11/11. That is, unless SOMA accepts me. They are my preference, not Erie, but I'll take the acceptance because an in is an in :) Either way, is it possible for me to call them and ask after a week? I see some people have been accepted and called in a few days after their interview, and another person it was a month... Let me know thoughts!

1. Someone mentioned a group presentation. a) How long is that per group. b) Who are we presenting to?

2. Open file interview? What can and can’t they see?

3. Are the questions “tell me about your self” or “what do you think”?

Thanks

Any advice for this situation? I interview at SOMA 10/28. LECOM-Erie accepted me, and I need to have my deposit to them by 11/11. That is, unless SOMA accepts me. They are my preference, not Erie, but I'll take the acceptance because an in is an in :) Either way, is it possible for me to call them and ask after a week? I see some people have been accepted and called in a few days after their interview, and another person it was a month... Let me know thoughts!

Tell them what you're up against before you leave your SOMA interview. Nothing wrong with that. They'll appreciate knowing and won't hold it against you at all, trust me. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to let you know in time.

SLC

Thanks SLC! I'm currently working at a CHC, and hoping that helps my chances!!!

Thanks SLC! I'm currently working at a CHC, and hoping that helps my chances!!!

Emphasize the CHC involvement, it's the main focus of our mission at SOMA.

By the way, did you ever look into the Hometown Applicant program?

A lot of people think it means you have to be from one of the 11 CHC's currently affiliated with the school. This is not true, any CHC leader from any CHC can advocate for your admission to SOMA.

A lot of people also seem to think that a Hometown Endorsement represents some sort of contract to return to the CHC as a physician, this is also not the case. Many of us Hometowns would like to return to our CHC's but it's not required.

Some people are being inducted into the program post-admission, there are benefits to this. You should look into it if you get admitted. PM me with questions.

1. Someone mentioned a group presentation. a) How long is that per group. b) Who are we presenting to?

It's a presentation to you and a group of other students, you will not be asked to present anything as a group for the interview. Basically you're going to get CHC presentations, OMM demonstrations, and a Financial Aid discussion.

2. Open file interview? What can and can’t they see?

They can see everything on your app and academic record. It's not part of the regular interview, but rather a separate step. It's pretty laid back though, don't worry much. If you're getting interviewed you're probably good!

3. Are the questions “tell me about your self” or “what do you think”?

More or less, yes!

SLC

Emphasize the CHC involvement, it's the main focus of our mission at SOMA.

By the way, did you ever look into the Hometown Applicant program?

A lot of people think it means you have to be from one of the 11 CHC's currently affiliated with the school. This is not true, any CHC leader from any CHC can advocate for your admission to SOMA.

A lot of people also seem to think that a Hometown Endorsement represents some sort of contract to return to the CHC as a physician, this is also not the case. Many of us Hometowns would like to return to our CHC's but it's not required.

Some people are being inducted into the program post-admission, there are benefits to this. You should look into it if you get admitted. PM me with questions.

I will emphasize the CHC work, but they don't know I'm applying, so I don't think it will work because I won't be able to get an 'endorsement' from them. Additionally, I've only worked there for a few weeks, but it still helps! Anyway, I will definitely talk about it

For the people interviewed on Oct 14 and accepted. What were your stats like? I interviewed on the 14th also. I have 3.38 gpa and a 29 mcat.

Last edited:
For the people interviewed on Oct 12 and accepted. What were your stats like? I interviewed on the 12th also. I have 3.38 gpa and a 29 mcat.

I interviewed on the 14th and was accepted. MCAT 30 GPA >3.45

I interviewed on the 14th and was accepted. MCAT 30 GPA >3.45

I might have met you. I was the only one from Albuquerque, NM. Congrats our interview must have been awesome for you to be accepted so quickly. They told us that we should hear back in 3-6 weeks. I have similar stats but I think my interview might have been so-so.

I didn't get a phone call. I got a letter in the mail saying I was on their alternate list. The letter took about a month to show up though, so I don't know if that was because they were behind or what. Good luck on the interview!

yea phone call means good news...I doubt they'd call to reject; that would be somewhat not funny and/or funny depending on which end of the line you're on...

anybody else get the 'acceptance e-mail' (with one attachment) AFTER the 'acceptance packet' (also an e-mail with like 10 attachments)? not concerned or anything just thought it was a bit strange...maybe I'm the only one

anyways, need to start getting confused with all of this paperwork :scared:

anybody else get the 'acceptance e-mail' (with one attachment) AFTER the 'acceptance packet' (also an e-mail with like 10 attachments)? not concerned or anything just thought it was a bit strange...maybe I'm the only one

anyways, need to start getting confused with all of this paperwork :scared:

Same. Those 10 attachments were intense!!

I have had my fair share of interviews (waitlisted last year). Anything I should know ahead that is unique to ATSU that I should prepare for ect.

Accepted!! So thrilled!

And yes, I also got an email with ten attachments rather than a phone call.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear and to all those interviewing!

Accepted!! So thrilled!

Congrats!
When did you interview? I'm starting to get a little restless!

Hey everyone...I will be giving up my acceptance, but not without a lot of apprehension and remorse. I will say that ATSU was my first interview this cycle (September 6 or 9 I believe). Of the 4 I had interviews for thus far, I would honestly say that, at the time, I was least excited/looking forward to it; that is, until I got there. ATSU completely and utterly blew me away. The social was a blast--informative, helpful, and really enlightening. Only one other school (my likely matriculating school) had students as ecstatic to be there as ATSU (and not in a fake way). The professors loved teaching, the students loved learning, and it just felt like a great atmosphere. When you have a dean from Baylor and another vice from U Wash, something is going right.

I love AZ, so I had no qualms with Mesa. I also really liked the building/campus--new and fresh. After my interview, I was really just shocked on how a school could just nail an interview. I think that, in the near future, ATSU will be rising up the rankings and outperforming a lot of older schools. Their curriculum is exciting and fresh and just may shake up medicine itself. Many people are probably like, "well why didn't you go?" Well, gf goes to USC and I wanted a CA school, so Pomona was for me (amid other reasons). But to all those on the fence, ATSU will be a great choice (and I am a traditionalist). PM me if you have any questions/comments.

I have had my fair share of interviews (waitlisted last year). Anything I should know ahead that is unique to ATSU that I should prepare for ect.

Pretty much everything is unique to SOMA... They have an extremely preculiar focus on training clinicians (even as early as the first year)

There are no research opportunities

There is no notable gap between the first and second years.

But it is an awesome campus. Go to the interview... like mcp6g said I too attended the interview not expecting that much and was blown away.

Pretty much everything is unique to SOMA... They have an extremely preculiar focus on training clinicians (even as early as the first year)

There is no notable gap between the first and second years.

But it is an awesome campus. Go to the interview... like mcp6g said I too attended the interview not expecting that much and was blown away.

No research? There are faculty involved in research there, and from what I was told you can find something to work on if you really want it.

Accepted!! So thrilled!

Was just checking up to see how things turned out for ya! CONGRATS!!

Received my interview invitation 2 days ago, flying out to Arizona in a matter of hours. Excited!

accepted just now :) yay!!

Totally excited about the 1+3 curriculum, I will probably attend this school!

Not sure about this school's research opportunities, but If you are interested in public health or any kind of administrative stuff, the faculty members who interviewed me told me that there are surely lots of opportunities to get involved in those areas.