ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite 11/11!!! so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite 11/11!!! so excited!

I'm interviewing that day too! I interviewed here back in the spring and was waitlisted. I loved the school. Hoping for better luck this round. :xf: Good luck!

Are any of you considering a combined degree? If so, do you know if I should be applying now or wait until acceptance is certain? Also, if you are a med student planning to complete an MPH or Ded can you comment on your experience (I'm a bit wary of these degrees being offered online).
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in the CA, OR, WA CHC. Aside from learning in the CHC ATSU mentions associated and affiliated hospitals as well (mentioned in general).

Are there any M3 or M4s out there with names of these hospitals (mainly for the CA, OR, WA sites). Like maybe Kern (CA)?

Thanks.

It's on their website, they're all listed with links to the websites. Do some leg-work

Same here! Where r u guys staying? Sleep inn? Anyone flying from chicago?

I'm actually choosing to stay with a family friend...this process is really starting to get expensive!!!!

I'm actually choosing to stay with a family friend...this process is really starting to get expensive!!!!

I'm staying with an old college roommate who's over at Midwestern working on her masters. It will be a little bit of a commute for that morning, but worth it. When I interviewed at SOMA in April, I stayed at La Quinta. It's really nice, close to the school, and some of the other applicants stayed there as well.

Rejected, no hold, no pending, no waitlist. I don't think my interview went great but I was excepting a waitlist or something. Straight rejected and I really liked that school. Damn..
GPA 3.38
MCAT-29
Tons for EC.
This cycle is seriously depressing.

Last edited:
Rejected, no hold, no pending, no waitlist. I don't think my interview went great but I was excepting a waitlist or something. Straight rejected and I really liked that school. Damn..
GPA 3.38
MCAT-29
Tons for EC.
This cycle is seriously depressing.

I'm sorry to hear that man...keep your head up! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!!!

Has anyone found a match list for ATSU SOMA? I tried contacting the office but haven't heard back.

I am submitting my forms and deposit either way but am really interested to see a match list- if anyone has advice please let me know.

Has anyone found a match list for ATSU SOMA? I tried contacting the office but haven't heard back.

I am submitting my forms and deposit either way but am really interested to see a match list- if anyone has advice please let me know.

I have it somewhere buried in my email. I can't seem to find it, but if and when I do I'll PM you.

It was a great match list, especially for the first graduating class!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you find it, will you forward it to me as well? I saw the thread that had some of the specialties but I'd like to see the full list if possible. :)

Oh, that helps too. Thank you! :)

I know of at one person not on that list who matched to Psychiatry at Banner in Phoenix.

Do they still do the small group interactive activity during interview day?

I have it somewhere buried in my email. I can't seem to find it, but if and when I do I'll PM you.

It was a great match list, especially for the first graduating class!

Thanks for looking- I really appreciate it! Very excited about next year :thumbup:

3rd year here from SOMA. Here's last year's match list (attached). PM me if you have any questions.

Attachments

• SOMA Match Results Summary Class 2011 expanded.docx
    22.2 KB · Views: 147
ill have what shes having

Secondary submitted on 10/3/11,
"complete" on 10/27
interview invite on 11/5
I'm interviewing on December 2nd. Is anyone else??

Selected as an alternate... guess I'm not going to be in AZ...

Interview on 11/11... I'm pretty excited... Gonna drive out to Phoenix from LA on Wednesday. That'll be a good time.

For other people interviewing on Friday, when did you receive your interview invite? Anyone from southern California wanna carpool (Yeah, I know it's not very likely :p)?

Selected as an alternate... guess I'm not going to be in AZ...

Oh no, keep your chin up...I hear they take a decent amount of people off that alternate list especially if you make it clear that it is a top choice for you.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

The year before last, yes they did. Last year, they took almost no one. Once they received their accreditation I think more people were willing to go... we'll see... They said that I can't really do anything about it...

I just called the admin office to try and set an interview date in January and the receptionist told me it was pretty much useless. Apparently they plan on having their enrollment full after the November interviews. Anyone accepted after that will be put on the "pending list" and enrolled the following year (2013). So pretty much, she said it would be a waste of time to interview and they didn't expect a lot of movement on the list, but that it is also the first year they have done it this way.

Hope this helps some of you, and sorry if it is bad news for some of you waiting.

Just paid my seat deposit! Guess I'll see some of you next summer! :D

I just called the admin office to try and set an interview date in January and the receptionist told me it was pretty much useless. Apparently they plan on having their enrollment full after the November interviews. Anyone accepted after that will be put on the "pending list" and enrolled the following year (2013). So pretty much, she said it would be a waste of time to interview and they didn't expect a lot of movement on the list, but that it is also the first year they have done it this way.

Hope this helps some of you, and sorry if it is bad news for some of you waiting.

Whoa, thank you for sharing that information despite this is a bad news for me. I am still waiting at the moment after the completion of the file. But, I've got an interview from ATSU-KCOM after I applied to both KCOM and SOMA.

Is it usual for DO schools to fill all the enrollments after Nov or Dec? It seems odd a little bit compared to other schools.

Nevermind I just changed my interview date to 11/11. Does anyone wanna split a hotel room lol??

I only know about KCOM, but I assume it is similar to SOMA. While they do fill up the class pretty fast and start putting tons of people on the "accepted pending a seat" list, this is NOT an automatic delayed a year sentence. The list (at least at KCOM) moved a LOT, and I had thought that most people put on that list got offered a spot for the same year in the end, with only a few being forced to delay a year. I interviewed all the way in March and got put on the "accepted pending a seat" list, and finally got offered a spot late May. Granted being in limbo up until 2 or 3 months before classes start sucks, but it is definitely possible. However, even if you don't get offered a spot this year after being on the "accepted pending a seat" list, (as long as they work the same way) you are guaranteed a seat for the following year, which for people without any other acceptances is amazing. So to put it simply, a late interview is not a waste of time.

Whoa, thank you for sharing that information despite this is a bad news for me. I am still waiting at the moment after the completion of the file. But, I've got an interview from ATSU-KCOM after I applied to both KCOM and SOMA.

Is it usual for DO schools to fill all the enrollments after Nov or Dec? It seems odd a little bit compared to other schools.

Yes, it is unusual. She explained that last year they weren't full until the end of March but that this year was different due to their new admissions policy. Good luck at Kirksville!

I only know about KCOM, but I assume it is similar to SOMA. While they do fill up the class pretty fast and start putting tons of people on the "accepted pending a seat" list, this is NOT an automatic delayed a year sentence. The list (at least at KCOM) moved a LOT, and I had thought that most people put on that list got offered a spot for the same year in the end, with only a few being forced to delay a year. I interviewed all the way in March and got put on the "accepted pending a seat" list, and finally got offered a spot late May. Granted being in limbo up until 2 or 3 months before classes start sucks, but it is definitely possible. However, even if you don't get offered a spot this year after being on the "accepted pending a seat" list, (as long as they work the same way) you are guaranteed a seat for the following year, which for people without any other acceptances is amazing. So to put it simply, a late interview is not a waste of time.

I agree with you. I already had an acceptance elsewhere but was debating about interviewing here since it is closer to family. For me it would have been a waste of money, but for others who have not yet received an accceptance it is still worth it.

Last edited:
Just paid my seat deposit! Guess I'll see some of you next summer! :D

Did you get the second email from them? I have only received no email from them since I was admitted, and there was no info on paying deposit..

Yeah, I did get the second email--it had a bunch of other documents in it, most that you don't need right this second but one about how to pay the deposit, and another with information about the background check. When did you get accepted? I got that stuff two weeks after my acceptance, so I don't know if they're a little slow on it or what, but it did look like the newer acceptees got everything in the first email so I might check in with them if it's already been two weeks since your acceptance.

Yeah, I did get the second email--it had a bunch of other documents in it, most that you don't need right this second but one about how to pay the deposit, and another with information about the background check. When did you get accepted? I got that stuff two weeks after my acceptance, so I don't know if they're a little slow on it or what, but it did look like the newer acceptees got everything in the first email so I might check in with them if it's already been two weeks since your acceptance.

Finally got the packet after emailing them, they said they already sent one to me but might have ended up in my junk mail (which didn't). So I urge those who are accepted but still haven't gotten their packets to email ATSU SOMA ASAP

Just put down my deposit! Hooray!! So very grateful :)

KCOM is already full as well? I hope not :(

KCOM is already full as well? I hope not :(

Nah I dunno how full it is at KCOM yet, I was just speaking from my experience last year that even if they are full, it doesn't mean too much if you are accepted other than more waiting and limbo while the list moves (which it did a lot last year I think).

Secondary submitted on 10/3/11,
"complete" on 10/27
interview invite on 11/5
I'm interviewing on December 2nd. Is anyone else??

Interesting I submitted my application back in late august and never heard from this school again. I pretty much gave up on them after multiple emails. Anyways i just heard from them on 11/9 and will be interview on 12/2 as well. I have either been rejected or wait listed at the three other schools I interview at so hoping this will be a change maker. Although this wasnt my first choice, it was definitely in my top 4 out of the 9 i chose to apply to. Heres hoping the best to us both

If you don't mind, which other 3 schools did you interview?

Rejected at azcom waitlisted at dmu and touro- ca I have a lot of health care experience but not a lot of research because research professors would not take me. I feel like these schools just want people who do research..oh well

I am sorry to hear that. But, I am sure this school will like you :)

I didn't know that AZCOM likes to see some research experience. In fact, I am interviewing there in December. I guess some schools want to see the balance as well as a variety for what you are doing for your extracurricular activities.

Good luck!

I got accepted to AZCOM and DMU, and I had very little research. DO schools in general are not that hung up on research. I'm sure that there were a variety of reasons why those schools did not accept you and not just the research, though it might have helped if you had more of it.

Well I had a bad interview at azco. They asked more psychological questions rather then wanting to get to know me. I thought my interview at dmu. Was good so I don't know why the waitlist. Thnx for the support for atstill. Even if I get a pending acceptance ill be happy

.Beware of colleges that boast of enormously high medical school taking rates from their premed programs. These schools often achieve those high numbers by weeding out their premed students aggressively, so that only the best premed students are even allowed to complete the program. You can calculate a school's acceptance rate by dividing the number of premed graduates it has accepted into medical school by the number of current freshmen premed majors.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5

sport orthotics

sports_skeleton.jpg

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CAll%20Users%5CDocuments%5CMy%20Pictures%5CSample%20Pictures

.​

lol.....anyways. Can anyone tell me more about the reception and if its really necessary to go? Will it help you in anyways? Also, is the interview more about questions from your application grades and essays or more random questions as well as ethical questions?

lol.....anyways. Can anyone tell me more about the reception and if its really necessary to go? Will it help you in anyways? Also, is the interview more about questions from your application grades and essays or more random questions as well as ethical questions?

It's not required to go to the social, but I highly recommend it. It's an opportunity to talk to faculty and students in a more relaxed atmosphere. Also, you don't get a tour on interview day; they do it at the social.

If you're lucky, you will get a chance to speak to one of your interviewers, and that will help reduce the tension in your actual interview. Go unless you absolutely can't.

They will ask you questions about your application. They really want people who want to go into primary care and be involved with the CHC movement, so they will ask you about that as well. Plus the standard (Why DO? Why SOMA?) questions.