ATSU-SOMA Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the most part I def agree with the list from my fellow 2011er. But i personally liked the Pathology book, and read from it a lot during 1st year. But aberk is right, Fisch will give you all the Path you need, and the extra reading I got from the book probably did not justify the cost. With that said, your money would be better spent on FirstAid for the USMLE I 2009-2010 whichever. Start on it early, and read the respective chapter for the module you are in. It wont cover everything you need for class, but gives you a lot of high yield info, and gives a good foundation. Oh and for anatomy, the Netter cards were very helpful. I used them a lot before the anatomy tests.

That's actually how I studied for the MCAT - I got an old book from a friend and lightly went over some of the subjects in there while we went over it in the premed classes. It worked out pretty well. Thanks for the input, this is very, very helpful. We're sending good vibes your way for step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

I am somewhat sad to inform everyone here that I have recently recieved an acceptance from another school and will be withdrawing my acceptance at SOMA on Monday. Hopefully it will go to someone on here! I loved the school but I can't pass up this offer!

I talked to a friend who is an MS2 at DCOM.

She highly, highly recommends getting a review book like firstaid to supplement classwork.

Also, I am getting pretty nervous about moving to AZ!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a friend who is an MS2 at DCOM.

She highly, highly recommends getting a review book like firstaid to supplement classwork.

Also, I am getting pretty nervous about moving to AZ!

So looks like I'll definitely be ordering a Step One review book...add that to the list!

I agree, thanecyan. I'm getting nervous about the big move as well!

So looks like I'll definitely be ordering a Step One review book...add that to the list!

I agree, thanecyan. I'm getting nervous about the big move as well!

Yes, it is a good review help for each module. Just read it as you go or before the test for review and it is helpful.
--------------
On another note, there are places for rent on the forum from 2 to 3 bedrooms if anyone is interested (including some people asking for roommates). As there are places for rent, there are also some people selling furniture, stuff in general.

I like the idea of using a First Aid book along the way. First Aid only includes high yield material, so if you read it along the way, you will know what is the most important material to focus on and try to retain.

Yes, it is a good review help for each module. Just read it as you go or before the test for review and it is helpful.
--------------
On another note, there are places for rent on the forum from 2 to 3 bedrooms if anyone is interested (including some people asking for roommates). As there are places for rent, there are also some people selling furniture, stuff in general.

What's the link to the thread as I am looking for a roomie and a place!? Thanks!

I have a question about the tablet warranty. If you buy it, it's already covered by SOMA right? If so, what's the extra warranty stuff they're trying to sell in their site?

Hey everyone,
Congratulations on being accepted! This is a great school and I am sure you will enjoy being here. Just wanted to let you know that I am first year here right now and an Arizona native. So if you have any questions about school, housing, or about Arizona in general just post it or send me a PM. I will be happy to answer them. Also I will be here until July 17'th so if any of you get here earlier we can meet up and if you want. Good luck!

What's the link to the thread as I am looking for a roomie and a place!? Thanks!

sethman33--If you log into the portal (my.atsu.edu) and click on 'forums' (on the left under 'tools;) there's a bunch of stuff under housing. Depending on what you're looking for, it looks like there's lots of options!

Definitely overlooked the forum link on the ATSU portal.

Thanks !

More info from SOMA - White Coat Ceremony July 20th.

SOMA White Coat Ceremony
7:30am-11:30am Introductions/Welcome, etc. on campus
12:30pm - Open Doors to Auditorium for SOMA families
12:50pm - SOMA students line up; faculty takes seat on stage
1pm - Student Processional into auditorium
1pm-2:15pm - SOMA White Coat
2:15-2:45pm SOMA Class Photos on Stage
2:15-3:30pm - Post-event Reception for SOMA faculty/staff, students and families

According to SOMA, this is tentative. I think I have to plan on being in Arizona a week or so earlier than I thought!

Wait, the ceremony is at July 20th? I thought registration & orientation started from July 28th. What happens in between those 8 days?

Wait, the ceremony is at July 20th? I thought registration & orientation started from July 28th. What happens in between those 8 days?

Here's the official calendar. Registration starts off on the 20th, with the White Coat Ceremony being the first event, I guess. The first day of class is the 27th.

Attachments

• SOMA Class of 2013 Academic Calendar.xlsx
    10 KB · Views: 209
Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,

i was recently accepted and i just want to say i cant wait to meet everyone of the class of 2013. has anyone bought the labtop yet? would any of you know how to upgrade it? can you do that through the site itself or do i have to build it myself?

Here's the official calendar. Registration starts off on the 20th, with the White Coat Ceremony being the first event, I guess. The first day of class is the 27th.

So there's nothing between the 20th and 27th?

So there's nothing between the 20th and 27th?

I would expect that there will be orientation type activities - I know that last year's class went to the Flagstaff CHC and visited there. We'll probably learn a little more about our tablets and how to use them effectively, etc. Logistical stuff/teambuilding stuff.

Congratulations c/o 2013! I'm from the c/o 2011, here to help if anyone has questions. Things have probably changed at the mesa campus since I've been there but if you want to know about life out a the CHCs feel free to PM me!

hey hey guys and gals! i was just curious, who did you guys go with for insurance, and did anyone purchase the accidental warranty on their laptops? i know Joyce said it wasn't necessary, but i'm just curious as to what others have done. thanks!

I'm trying to look for a good health insurance plan for my family. I have a wife and two kids and was wondering what you guys are going with. And for all the current students, what's some of the popular choices amongst you guys? I have only checked out SOMA's health plan so far.....

Depending on your specific circumstances (e.g. whether or not your wife is planning on working, if you own property or other assets, etc.), you may qualify for Arizona's medicaid program called AHCCCS. My whole family (wife, 2 kids, me) has been covered by this free insurance the entire year we've lived in Mesa. Again, you have to meet the eligibility requirements found at this link. http://www.ahcccs.state.az.us/applicants/categories/families.aspx

Best of luck.

Hey everyone, I just got my laptop a few days ago and I was wondering how you are liking it? I haven't used a Windows based machine in the last three years since I switched to apple...

Oh, and does anyone know when we'll be hearing about financial aid/loans? Happy sumer to all!

which warranty do you guys rec? the onsite i take it?

I didn't buy the warranty :scared:

Hey everyone, I just got my laptop a few days ago and I was wondering how you are liking it? I haven't used a Windows based machine in the last three years since I switched to apple...

Oh, and does anyone know when we'll be hearing about financial aid/loans? Happy sumer to all!

I think as long as we have powerpoint slides to use with the tablet feature, it will be useful, there is a really cool download on the portal that allows you to cut and paste really easily using the pen.

One day I was sick and did work emails using the tablet feature - it was a lot slower, just using the pen to navigate and everything, but it was really nice to be lying down using a computer. I don't know if that's worth the 2000 bucks, though, haha.

I hope that they give us some serious tips during orientation, because I know that a lot of people love to use tablet PC's, but I can't see the benefits overriding the negatives right now.

yeah i downloaded the programs, they are neat, but they have not won me over haha. yeah, the 2000 dollars spent on it hurts, i wanted a new macbook pro... lol. oh well.

oh and yeah I bought the accidental warranty, 177+tax is actually a pretty good price for that kind of coverage for three years.

anybody get financial aid info yet? i think of all things, right now i'm most worried about the money.

did you guys see today's e-mails? white coat ceremony is at 4pm, i had to move some flights back so my parents could make it lol. i initially thought it'd be around 2pm.

does anyone have any idea where we can get the scrubs and what color they need to be?

Last edited:
Yo bruce

I was strongly thinking about it. If I were to write one, I'd like to be as informative as PandaBearMD's blog. I don't really know at this point but I hope it happens.

I did have an account on SDN's beta blogging service during my research internship but one day I found that the entire thing, with all my posts, was deleted. D: (I guess they couldn't salvage all the data after beta?)

School is starting in a month...

yeah i downloaded the programs, they are neat, but they have not won me over haha. yeah, the 2000 dollars spent on it hurts, i wanted a new macbook pro... lol. oh well.

oh and yeah I bought the accidental warranty, 177+tax is actually a pretty good price for that kind of coverage for three years.

anybody get financial aid info yet? i think of all things, right now i'm most worried about the money.

did you guys see today's e-mails? white coat ceremony is at 4pm, i had to move some flights back so my parents could make it lol. i initially thought it'd be around 2pm.

does anyone have any idea where we can get the scrubs and what color they need to be?

anyone know if i can get the accidental warranty after i purchased the comp? im wishing i did.

out of all the books on the book list, what are the absolute must haves

sean, on page two there's an edited list provided by a current soma student with what he thinks are books worth buyin.

yeah i read somewhere that you can buy the accidental within 30 days. i bought mine two days after i ordered my laptop. just give the sales associate/manager in charge a call, mine was jen watson, i think she's in charge of all soma laptop purchases at cdw.

does anyone know how financial aid is supposed to work? do i take out loans now? or does SOMA take them out for me? what goes on?

does anyone know how financial aid is supposed to work? do i take out loans now? or does SOMA take them out for me? what goes on?

You need to do your part, and SOMA will do its part - Your part is to fill out the FAFSA. Do this right now.

The part we're all still waiting on is the Financial Aid office - they are supposed to send an award letter telling you how much you're eligible for, after which you can decide how much/who you will get the loans from, but so far we haven't heard anything from them.

Since tuition is due the first day of class, I think loans come out then as well. But yeah, get that FAFSA done immediately.

I'm a bit confused about the loans. If we get the award letter on the first day of class, then how do we have enough time to decide on which type of loan we want before the money gets sent for tuition? Or are we supposed to get the award letter before the first day of class, decide on the amount, and THEN it gets wired the first day of school?

I'm a bit confused about the loans. If we get the award letter on the first day of class, then how do we have enough time to decide on which type of loan we want before the money gets sent for tuition? Or are we supposed to get the award letter before the first day of class, decide on the amount, and THEN it gets wired the first day of school?

We should be getting our award letters this week (if you put in your FAFSA as soon as you could) then we'll choose, then it'll get wired the first day of school.

Any current student/s at the Porterville, CA CHC? How are you liking it? (figuring out which chc to pick is proving to be quite a task..)

so the financial aid/scholarship/loan stuff is out. any one taking any of this money to live off of? i've never used loans before and so i'm curious to see what's your take on all of this? thanks! its too hot in houston!

We should be getting our award letters this week (if you put in your FAFSA as soon as you could) then we'll choose, then it'll get wired the first day of school.

Actually, loans usually don't get disbursed until 2 weeks into classes. Federal rules in case someone drops out or something like that. So be careful about your money until then.

The school will present you with an award letter before classes start. There's then an online procedure you have to go through in order to accept the funds. It's on the portal and includes a tutorial. You'll have to do this every year.
1) You'll decide how much you want to take out of what you're being offered (There's 3 categories of FA: GRADPlus, Stafford (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and scholarship).
2) Then you'll have to select a lender (ie Sallie Mae, MOHELA, etc.) and fill of a Master Promissory Note.
3) Finally, you provide SOMA with your bank account info for a direct deposit once the funds become available (not always the first day of classes as stated above).

so the financial aid/scholarship/loan stuff is out. any one taking any of this money to live off of? i've never used loans before and so i'm curious to see what's your take on all of this? thanks! its too hot in houston!

I would recommend taking out living expenses unless:
1) You have savings that will cover your expenses for the year.
2) You have family/spouse that can cover those costs for you.
You won't have enough time to work during medical school to earn enough for living expenses. Yes, it is a lot of money to take out but that's what most people have to do.

Isn't tuition due on the first day of class? How does that work?

For most schools, as long as you have been awarded aid, you should be fine...believe me, if you weren't awarded any financial award, you would have heard way before now...

The difference with the 3 year warranty is that it covers accidents such as spilling something on your computer that destroys it, dropping it, etc. If you are going to have food, people, kids, etc near your computer where accidents might happen then it might make sense. Some people bought it, some people didn't.
The school only covers basic IT stuff such as virus removal, helping backup data, fixing software problems, etc. The one year factory warranty is only for factory defaults during that year I believe. Off site at the CHC I have not used yet so I don't know.
For those wondering about financial aid, if you haven't received anything yet, Kirksville and Arizona students only received our award level last week.
Just noticed the question on scrubs, look the facebook page. But you should be receiving something where to purchase them from Kirksville.

Has anyone tried logging on and accessing the MLO?
I seem to be able to log in initially but when I try to access the course stuff I am denied.

Isn't tuition due on the first day of class? How does that work?

It is but if you have FA then the tuition is considered guaranteed so they'll withdraw the amount automatically when the disbursement occurs.

Hi guys,

im trying to get an apartment at colonial but i dont know what to put on my application for monthly income. i tried calling and i left a message but so far no response. what did you guys do?