ATSU-SOMA or UP-KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFC1892

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ATSU-SOMA or UP-KYCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an invisible third option? I have less than lukewarm sentiments for both schools.

Both are too new for my liking. UP-KYCOM is good for rural med, so if you're into that, then go for it.

ATSU-SOMA or UP-KYCOM?

Wow, these are two very different environments. If advise you to consider if you're willing to live in a very rural area. If not, it may help your decision.

Is there an invisible third option? I have less than lukewarm sentiments for both schools.

Both are too new for my liking. UP-KYCOM is good for rural med, so if you're into that, then go for it.

KYCOM isn't really that new. And SOMA is probably the strongest of the new programs out there. Better than some of the more established programs IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
SOMA ofc is very different curriculum than the standard school. 1 year in arizona and next 3 years at a community health center. And they have a sort of "problem-based, scheme, group discussion themed" system that caters to more clinical experience.

Whereas, KYCOM has standard 2 years basic science at the school and 2 yrs rotations.

SOMA would be good if I wanted to focus on COMPLEX, because its clinical oriented, while KYCOM would be more attuned for USMLE due to emphasis on basic science background.

Granted, both are not the best schools by far. However, which would most likely give a student the chance to specialize and attain an MD residency. Ik at the end of the day its about how you do yourself as a student (board scores, rank, gpa), but also your recommendations and who you know at places you served in rotations.

Btw. im looking into Pediatrics and specialize in cardiology specifically.

Also does anyone have the statistics on each schools pass rates (complex/usmle)?
Ik its prolly somewhere in another thread, but w/e.

Thanks.

Also does anyone have the statistics on each schools pass rates (complex/usmle)?
Ik its prolly somewhere in another thread, but w/e.

Thanks.

You should be able to find this info on their websites.

SOMA ofc is very different curriculum than the standard school. 1 year in arizona and next 3 years at a community health center. And they have a sort of "problem-based, scheme, group discussion themed" system that caters to more clinical experience.

Whereas, KYCOM has standard 2 years basic science at the school and 2 yrs rotations.

SOMA also has 2 years basic/clinical science and 2 years rotation. The 1 year in arizona and the 1st year at the community health center are both basic/clinical science years. The last two years are rotations. It's no different from any other medical school in the country in that regard.

What is different is the lecture style, which is clinical presentation based. In other-words; all your basic and clinical sciences are delivered in the context of how they apply to managing patients and diagnosing illness etc.

SOMA would be good if I wanted to focus on COMPLEX, because its clinical oriented, while KYCOM would be more attuned for USMLE due to emphasis on basic science background.

Granted, both are not the best schools by far. However, which would most likely give a student the chance to specialize and attain an MD residency. Ik at the end of the day its about how you do yourself as a student (board scores, rank, gpa), but also your recommendations and who you know at places you served in rotations.

Btw. im looking into Pediatrics and specialize in cardiology specifically.

First off it's COMLEX not COMPLEX. Secondly this notion that COMLEX part 1 is somehow more "clinical" than USMLE step 1 is just not true. USMLE step 1 is a really well written basic science exam. COMLEX part 1 is a poorly written basic science exam. They both test the same material (with the exception of OMM, which doesn't exist on the USMLE) and you need to know your stuff equally on both.

You're generally not going to do very well on the COMLEX and then bomb the USMLE. Your scores will usually be in the same general ball park because they are very similar tests. And as a student of ATSU-SOMA I can tell you that our curriculum is geared to the COMLEX because we are a DO school and every single DO student has to take and pass all 3 levels of the COMLEX in order to be eligible for licensure. But while built to prepare students for COMLEX, it also prepares students equally well for USMLE.

The main difference between Pikeville and SOMA as I see it is that Pikeville is very rural oriented, while SOMA is very Public Health/Underserved population (wherever they are) oriented.

At KYCOM you'll be spending your time in Appalachia. They want you to practice there and you have virtually zero chance of being admitted there unless you show them you have at least strong consideration of staying in the area.

SOMA will spread you to one of 11 sites all over the country. From NYC to Honolulu. From Seattle to Tucson. And while I'm not familiar with the hospitals that KYCOM sends students to, I've got to think that SOMA provides a much larger opportunity for networking with other professionals nationwide than KYCOM.

Two schools, both teaching identical material in different ways. Each with a slightly different mission that influences the types of experiences you're likely to have while in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user