ATSU SOMA v CUSOM v ATSU Kirksville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medic2doctor22

Reaction score
Background info: I have HPSP scholarship so the cost of school and the cost of living is not a factor. Entering med school I am leaning towards residency in orthopedics. My strengths are clinical; my weakness is pure sciences.

ATSU SOMA:
Pros:
-Early clinical cycle, would like to work in a CHC 1 day a week as a break from academics
-location of the school and my top 3 CHC choices.
-small group learning 2nd year at CHC

Cons:
-less focus on ultrasound
-Minimal international experience opportunities
-less focus on the biosciences, (I see that being one of my weaker areas entering med school)
-limited anatomy dissection

Unsure if positive or not:
-Different type of curriculum
-Historically I have been an in-class learner, haven't had to try distance learning

ATSU Kirksville:
Pros:
-Liked the anatomy teacher I interviewed with
-Not as much a primary care focus
-Ultrasound program
-Interesting electives

Cons:
-location of school ( I'm from Boston and pretty done with winters)
-No clinic for 1 &2nd year
-Not as new facilities

Unsure if positive or not:
-Alumni network

CUSOM:
Pros:
-1 week breaks for international trips
-Ultrasound program
-They seem to be very active in setting up interview rotations and helping with residency matching
-New facilities

Cons:
-Dress code with tie
-mandatory attendance
-Housing situation seems to not be great
-Less established school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're going to be gunning for ortho, I'd probably look at the last few years of match lists for those schools and pick the one that matches the most ortho.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m leaning towards ortho and interviewed at cusom recently too. I get the vibe that they’re a really up and coming school even tho they’re new, and they match pretty well, consistently around 5-6 ortho matches per year

I’m leaning towards ortho and interviewed at cusom recently too. I get the vibe that they’re a really up and coming school even tho they’re new, and they match pretty well, consistently around 5-6 ortho matches per year
Thanks for the reply: How did you find out their matches? I looked on the website but only saw overall match percentages?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know it’s super annoying, they need to get their lists up there. I asked in the Campbell sub and got this from someone, sucks it doesn’t list programs though
1551A7D9-2A79-4A75-AE2C-83D4D94F10C1.jpeg

Atsu kirksville does not have mandatory attendance, just FYI :)

also, if its the winter that you don’t like Im from MO somewhat nearby and the winters are not typically bad at all.