Nov 15, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Background info: I have HPSP scholarship so the cost of school and the cost of living is not a factor. Entering med school I am leaning towards residency in orthopedics. My strengths are clinical; my weakness is pure sciences.

ATSU SOMA:
Pros:
-Early clinical cycle, would like to work in a CHC 1 day a week as a break from academics
-location of the school and my top 3 CHC choices.
-small group learning 2nd year at CHC

Cons:
-less focus on ultrasound
-Minimal international experience opportunities
-less focus on the biosciences, (I see that being one of my weaker areas entering med school)
-limited anatomy dissection

Unsure if positive or not:
-Different type of curriculum
-Historically I have been an in-class learner, haven't had to try distance learning

ATSU Kirksville:
Pros:
-Liked the anatomy teacher I interviewed with
-Not as much a primary care focus
-Ultrasound program
-Interesting electives

Cons:
-location of school ( I'm from Boston and pretty done with winters)
-No clinic for 1 &2nd year
-Not as new facilities

Unsure if positive or not:
-Alumni network

CUSOM:
Pros:
-1 week breaks for international trips
-Ultrasound program
-They seem to be very active in setting up interview rotations and helping with residency matching
-New facilities

Cons:
-Dress code with tie
-mandatory attendance
-Housing situation seems to not be great
-Less established school

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
If you're going to be gunning for ortho, I'd probably look at the last few years of match lists for those schools and pick the one that matches the most ortho.

Reactions: 1 user

grandepike

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m leaning towards ortho and interviewed at cusom recently too. I get the vibe that they’re a really up and coming school even tho they’re new, and they match pretty well, consistently around 5-6 ortho matches per year

About the Ads
Nov 15, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m leaning towards ortho and interviewed at cusom recently too. I get the vibe that they’re a really up and coming school even tho they’re new, and they match pretty well, consistently around 5-6 ortho matches per year
Thanks for the reply: How did you find out their matches? I looked on the website but only saw overall match percentages?

grandepike

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah I know it’s super annoying, they need to get their lists up there. I asked in the Campbell sub and got this from someone, sucks it doesn’t list programs though 1551A7D9-2A79-4A75-AE2C-83D4D94F10C1.jpeg

Aug 13, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Atsu kirksville does not have mandatory attendance, just FYI :)

also, if its the winter that you don’t like Im from MO somewhat nearby and the winters are not typically bad at all.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads