ATSU-SOMA vs. ATSU-KCOM vs. KCU-COM (Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smolpuppo21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I'm having trouble narrowing down my options between the three schools. I've already invested $1000 into SOMA because of their CHC ranking system (it was my first acceptance, and I didn't want to lose a good CHC if I wasn't accepted elsewhere), so that's also contributing to this decision.

ATSU-SOMA (already invested $1k):

Pros:

- Unique 1+3 program
- P/F grading
- High Step scores (in-house exams written similar to COMLEX/USMLE level questions)
- COA isn't too bad

Cons:

- HOT (I hate the heat lmao)
- Moving twice during medical school
- Minimal communication with the home campus in Mesa
- Far away from home

ATSU-KCOM:

Pros:

- 85% allopathic match rate, 99.6% overall
- Opportunities for Rural/Medically underserved scholarships
- Low cost of living
- COA isn't too bad
- Close to home
- More established

Cons:

- Decent COMLEX pass rate
- Letter grading
- Bit of an overemphasis on OMM due to being KCOM

KCU-COM (Joplin):

Pros:

- COA is decent, less than KCOM/SOMA I believe
- High Step Scores
- Brand new facilities (Anatomy Lab)
- Patient simulation rooms are GORGEOUS
- 6-7 weeks dedicated
- Decent research opportunities

Cons:

- Not KC, separated from the main, original campus. However, that didn't seem that big of an issue.
- Haven't graduated a class yet, so unknown residency rates. If similar to KCU-KC, then that would be a major pro.
- Semi-close to home
- Letter Grading with intermittent P/F in longitudinal classes

Any help would be truly appreciated! I have no guidance from anyone in deciding between these schools. I also have yet to hear from my 4 MD interviews (hoping for good news), but that might sway my decision depending on which schools accept. Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
KCU Joplin seems like where you'd be the happiest. Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy for $1000, which will ultimately be insignificant in the long run. Your happiness/well-being for the 4 years of med school is more important.

I can't speak to the quality of any of the schools, but from your lists it seems to me that Joplin is the place for you. With the one caveat of not graduating a class yet it seems to have the best pro/con ratio. However if the heat is the biggest deal breaker for SOMA, I wouldn't let that deter you too much, yes it's crazy hot from June-September, but you'll be inside an air conditioned building studying and the rest of the year is beautiful while it may be freezing in other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak to the quality of any of the schools, but from your lists it seems to me that Joplin is the place for you. With the one caveat of not graduating a class yet it seems to have the best pro/con ratio. However if the heat is the biggest deal breaker for SOMA, I wouldn't let that deter you too much, yes it's crazy hot from June-September, but you'll be inside an air conditioned building studying and the rest of the year is beautiful while it may be freezing in other places.

And to add to that, you'll only be in Arizona for less than a year before heading to the assigned CHC.

Hm I was under the impression KCU Joplin was still graded? Asked the second years during my interview and they said there are talks to possibly be P/F but overall preclinical is still graded? Anyone want to chime in?

Hm I was under the impression KCU Joplin was still graded? Asked the second years during my interview and they said there are talks to possibly be P/F but overall preclinical is still graded? Anyone want to chime in?

It’s quite possible I reversed them! They didn’t give us a notepad/pen, so I couldn’t write anything down. Now that you mention it, it’s probably letter grading w/ P/F in longitudinal courses.

It’s quite possible I reversed them! They didn’t give us a notepad/pen, so I couldn’t write anything down. Now that you mention it, it’s probably letter grading w/ P/F in longitudinal courses.
If Joplin is letter graded, then I think SOMA has the best pros. I would pick P/F any day.

KCU joplin is a good school and you cannot go wrong there. If SOMA is PF then that would be hard to pass up because last I heard KCU was def letter grading. Also would be worth double checking dedicated for boards for each school to verify

I can only speak on Joplin since that's the only school that I interviewed at (and currently attend)--

KCU-COM (Joplin):

Pros:

- High Step Scores
I agree with all of the above points. COL in Joplin is DIRT cheap.
- Amazing research opportunities
We don't have great research opportunities here in Joplin. I know that MSSU and KCU have teamed up, so if you want to do research then you can; however, I wouldn't say that these are okay opportunities especially when you compare them to the projects that our KC counterparts have access to through the extensive hospital networks there.

Cons:

- Not KC, separated from the main, original campus. However, that didn't seem that big of an issue.
The difference between campuses is basically non-existent until 3rd year. We receive the same material, tests, and opportunities for the most part. They really try to hammer home the whole "one cohort" motto, so they try to keep differences to a minimum. The biggest difference is the area of living and some campus-exclusive sites (with the exception of honors track or extenuating circumstances, only KC students rotate in KC and the same goes for Joplin students at the Joplin hospitals).
- Haven't graduated a class yet, so unknown residency rates. If similar to KCU-KC, then that would be a major pro.
I would be very surprised if Joplin didn't have similar residency rates, and I highly doubt they will split up match results between campuses. However, with the same curriculum and 90% of the same clerkship sites, I don't see this being an issue whatsoever. I'm not even sure if they designate which campus you were at on your transcript.
- Semi-close to home
- No dedicated board studying time.
This isn't true. You get like 6 weeks of dedicated board prep and I believe that even for the few weeks before dedicated, we only have a "transition to clerkship" class that doesn't take up much time at all. All of our 3rd year students say that they had more than enough time to prepare for STEP/COMLEX.
All of our classes are letter-graded. I guess that you could say that some of our competencies in longitudinal classes are pass-fail in the sense that if you fail them, you have to redo them and sometimes if you "pass" them then you'll receive all points. However, those points go towards your final letter grade.

I can only speak on Joplin since that's the only school that I interviewed at (and currently attend)--

KCU-COM (Joplin):

Pros:

- High Step Scores
I agree with all of the above points. COL in Joplin is DIRT cheap.
- Amazing research opportunities
We don't have great research opportunities here in Joplin. I know that MSSU and KCU have teamed up, so if you want to do research then you can; however, I wouldn't say that these are okay opportunities especially when you compare them to the projects that our KC counterparts have access to through the extensive hospital networks there.

Cons:

The difference between campuses is basically non-existent until 3rd year. We receive the same material, tests, and opportunities for the most part. They really try to hammer home the whole "one cohort" motto, so they try to keep differences to a minimum. The biggest difference is the area of living and some campus-exclusive sites (with the exception of honors track or extenuating circumstances, only KC students rotate in KC and the same goes for Joplin students at the Joplin hospitals).
I would be very surprised if Joplin didn't have similar residency rates, and I highly doubt they will split up match results between campuses. However, with the same curriculum and 90% of the same clerkship sites, I don't see this being an issue whatsoever. I'm not even sure if they designate which campus you were at on your transcript.
- Semi-close to home
- No dedicated board studying time.
This isn't true. You get like 6 weeks of dedicated board prep and I believe that even for the few weeks before dedicated, we only have a "transition to clerkship" class that doesn't take up much time at all. All of our 3rd year students say that they had more than enough time to prepare for STEP/COMLEX.
All of our classes are letter-graded. I guess that you could say that some of our competencies in longitudinal classes are pass-fail in the sense that if you fail them, you have to redo them and sometimes if you "pass" them then you'll receive all points. However, those points go towards your final letter grade.

Thank you for the advice!! My heart is pulling towards KCU-Joplin, but idk yet. I will say, I haven’t had time to update it, but I just found out they have dedicated! I think I’m confusing it with another school, and I totally apologize. Oof KCU got me spewing things because I didn’t have a notepad to write on.

But, thanks for clearing that up with the letter grade thing. The person who came and spoke about the curriculum stated that parts were P/F, and I think he said longitudinal coursework. Meh, you’re a student here, so you know more than I do, haha.

Thank you for the advice!! My heart is pulling towards KCU-Joplin, but idk yet. I will say, I haven’t had time to update it, but I just found out they have dedicated! I think I’m confusing it with another school, and I totally apologize. Oof KCU got me spewing things because I didn’t have a notepad to write on.

But, thanks for clearing that up with the letter grade thing. The person who came and spoke about the curriculum stated that parts were P/F, and I think he said longitudinal coursework. Meh, you’re a student here, so you know more than I do, haha.
No problem! You're welcome to PM me with any questions you have!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with a faculty member regarding KCU-Joplin's research opportunities and they are getting more every year. The person who conducted one of my interviews said he has three projects established and is planning to get another three started before the next class starts. Just food for thought!

I don't have an acceptance to KCU yet, but am have a hard decision to make (between DMU and KCU) if I get one in the couple weeks.