ATSU-SOMA vs BCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The-Adster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting to the MD page, but for some reason, the DO page doesn’t allow me to post.

That being said, both have relatively similar tuitions, but ATSU-SOMA has a slightly higher cost of living, plus, with their unique 1-3 program, my fiancée (wife then) would have to move to a second location for the last three years. It would possibly be more difficult for her to start her career.

On the other hand, BCOM is in the town I grew up in; I actually attended undergrad at the neighboring NMSU, and had seen it built from the ground up. Also, attending BCOM seems to guarantee working in my hometown (Las Cruces) once graduated, which will allow both my fiancée and I to be with family and raise our kids in a city of choice.

The only dilemma are the board pass rates. ATSU-SOMA seems to be hovering ~95%, while BCOM is at ~85%. Furthermore, BCOM is still in the process of being accredited, which I was told takes a while.

Both interviews highlighted great aspects of each school (obviously). I’m honestly leaning towards BCOM at the moment because of the slightly lower overall cost and family aspect. Are board pass rates that big of a deal, or is it mainly the effort that is put in as a medical student?

Additionally, I just got waitlisted at TCOM, and won’t find out on my status until around May or June, which may be very late and unfortunately inconvenient in making decisions on when and where to move.

My apologies for the long post, and thank you for taking the time to read!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for posting to the MD page, but for some reason, the DO page doesn’t allow me to post.

That being said, both have relatively similar tuitions, but ATSU-SOMA has a slightly higher cost of living, plus, with their unique 1-3 program, my fiancée (wife then) would have to move to a second location for the last three years. It would possibly be more difficult for her to start her career.

On the other hand, BCOM is in the town I grew up in; I actually attended undergrad at the neighboring NMSU, and had seen it built from the ground up. Also, attending BCOM seems to guarantee working in my hometown (Las Cruces) once graduated, which will allow both my fiancée and I to be with family and raise our kids in a city of choice.

This is enough to make me choose BCOM over SOMA. Attending BCOM would give you a significant home field advantage, and a good social support system is needed to overcome the grueling nature of medical school.

It is important to consider your significant other's wishes. Is she okay with potentially sitting around for 1-3 years before starting a career? Most SO's will tell you "yes" and sacrifice their own careers/lives in order to accomodate their partner's needs as a medical student--however the chances of her being content is slim.

The only dilemma are the board pass rates. ATSU-SOMA seems to be hovering ~95%, while BCOM is at ~85%. Furthermore, BCOM is still in the process of being accredited, which I was told takes a while.

Both interviews highlighted great aspects of each school (obviously). I’m honestly leaning towards BCOM at the moment because of the slightly lower overall cost and family aspect. Are board pass rates that big of a deal, or is it mainly the effort that is put in as a medical student?

BCOM's accreditation will be up for review on June 30, 2020. I suspect their accreditation status will advance further. Board scores are heavily dependent on the student and his/her ability to self-study.

This is enough to make me choose BCOM over SOMA. Attending BCOM would give you a significant home field advantage, and a good social support system is needed to overcome the grueling nature of medical school.

It is important to consider your significant other's wishes. Is she okay with potentially sitting around for 1-3 years before starting a career? Most SO's will tell you "yes" and sacrifice their own careers/lives in order to accomodate their partner's needs as a medical student--however the chances of her being content is slim.

BCOM's accreditation will be up for review on June 30, 2020. I suspect their accreditation status will advance further. Board scores are heavily dependent on the student and his/her ability to self-study.

Thank you for the thorough response/opinion!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the thorough response/opinion!

I am also considering BCOM. I wanted to add that BCOM's accreditation is almost guaranteed at this point. The last step for them to become accredited is for them to graduate this year's class. They are also offering federal student loans this upcoming school year.