ATSU-SOMA vs MU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cablackf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been recently accepted to both ATSU and MU-COM and I am having trouble narrowing down the choice. Both school present great pros and cons, the reason for my indecision. Both schools cost relatively the same so that is no longer an issue.

Advantages
MuCOM: Newer school with a modern campus, has faculty from other medical schools, strong alliance with Uof I, secured 600+ beds for 3/4 year rotations. Being the 2nd class school is determined to assist students on exams in order to save its image. Partnerships primarily with pharmaceutical companies. Located in Indianapolis (major life sciences area).

ATSU: Strong and solid credibility and board pass scores as it is an established DO school. Located in Arizona, my home state near family, strong faculty and community network support. Established 3/4 year rotations. Clinical training similar to Step 1 to assist students. Sends students to CHC sites 2-4 year not just 3-4 leading to early clinical exposure.

Disadvantages
MUCOM: No class has made it to Step 1 thus no polished training and education system. Away from my family (although not sure if that is bad for me), 3/4 year rotations are just contracts and havent actually occurred. No alumni or staff to assist with residency or to provide insight.

ATSU: Constant moving and driving from CHC (clinical healthcare site, ie a training location) to other rotation sites. This has lead to many students living out of their suitcases and spending more money. My CHC choice of Washington DC was not my first selection as it is too far and expensive. No guarantee that I will get my 1st or 2nd choice. The 2nd year online training although similar to other schools removes the ability to visit office hours and learn directly. Less motivated to help students.

This is my list and this is the dilemma I have created. I want to take the chance that the new school will become great as ATSU was only recently recognized as established. Not a fan of the constant traveling but may be worth it to have an established program to help with Step 1 and residency options. ATSU is more commercialized and seems less motivated but that is the problem with any large established institutions. Any comments, advice, insider information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the ATSU choice comes down to lifestyle. If you have a S.O. then it probably isn't the best choice because it isn't fair to them if you keep moving and taking them with you. Also you have to not mind the decentralized learning for second year.

No S.O. but at the same time I don't want to spend all my time traveling. The decentralized learning is one of the cons to ATSU and the reason I am not sure to pick it. I understand that Marian does not have mandatory attendance, however that option is still available if needed. Thank you for your input, I hope this thread thrives as I have several Pre-med associates in the exact same debacle.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it came down to me I'd likely take MUCOM. ATSU just felt like a giant hassle I didn't want to get involved with, that and they avoided answering the question of why their board scores/pass rate were lower than average during my interview.

Not sure what your second and third choices are, but Flagstaff, AZ is less popular, so you can probably switch with someone for that once you get in.
My research on the D.C. location shows that they will be using one hospital (Providence hospital, >500 beds) for their core rotations. It is within city limits. Doesn't look like you will be living out of your suitcase, but you're right, the area is more expensive.

I'd personally go with Marian. I think they have an excellent program set up there and will separate themselves in the years to come.

If it came down to me I'd likely take MUCOM. ATSU just felt like a giant hassle I didn't want to get involved with, that and they avoided answering the question of why their board scores/pass rate were lower than average during my interview.

Do you have a link to their lowered board scores. I have been looking around and unable to find such information. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong resources. Since Marian has not had a class take the Boards I am only worried they do not have a polished plan to help students, similarly to Step 1. Wouldn't ATSU be safe as they can prepare you for Step 1 and the Boards (or not if their scores are lower).

I can tell you why I think that is, although I can't confirm whether or not that is the case currently or whether you're looking at old data from early classes.

But here's my take; I have seen a wide variety of personalities, educational backgrounds, and approaches to medical school in my class. We were told that we were head and shoulders above the 4 classes ahead of us with respect to aptitude by our professors but I can still see people who just seem to struggle. Additionally, the block testing system we use is both a blessing and a curse for many. We get one HUGE exam at a time, instead of multiple discipline specific exams. So a Neuro exam is going to have everything from anatomy to biochemistry to pharmacology to surgical questions on it. That's good if you're on top of things because a good score might mean you really understand Neuro-medicine. But there's also a chance that you can totally fail one subject and still pass the exam.

I can remember one test where I only got 40% of the pharmacology questions right. If it had been a pharmacology exam only, and I didn't have anatomy and clinical questions to pad my score with I would have failed. So you can see that there's an opportunity for a student to never really grasp a subject and still pass the first two years.

For me, I realized this early on so I paid close attention to my exam sub scores. When I noticed anything that I wasn't doing so hot in, I redoubled my efforts in the future.

So I think it's a combination of a VERY holistic admissions process, and a block testing system that has some potential to let subjects fall through the cracks.

But I didn't do any formal board prep outside FA and UWorld, and I'm not so smart, but I worked hard years 1&2. I did very well on both board exams, so I really don't think its a curriculum issue.