ATSU-SOMA vs TCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The-Adster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I got accepted at ATSU-SOMA, and have other IIs (TCOM, ATSU-KCOM, BCOM, and my state MD school). I just want to know if it is worth skipping the TCOM interview? It’s not scheduled yet, and it will be a pain to schedule it with my work schedule and other IIs.

I also plan on attending all other MD IIs as well as IIs from DMU-COM, KCUMB, PCOM, and CCOM (if I get them).

I only have another 2 days to book my interview at TCOM, with hardly any of the dates working, leading me to miss even MORE work (I need the money).

I love ATSU-SOMA, but I also want the best school I can get in to that will allow me to match competitively for IM (I am interested in cardiology), and I have unfortunately read some negative comments regarding ATSU-SOMA. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't figure out why people like ATSU-SOMA. Tuition is high and you only get to use the school's fancy resources for one year before they ship you off to the middle of no where. TCOM is a much better choice, but the other DO schools on your list look very good as well (minus CCOM because the education you would receive there compared to any other DO school just isn't worth 80k a year + interest)

Reactions: 1 users
Not attending your TCOM interview would be idiotic.

I'm not saying that just because I go there.

TCOM has:
- the highest COMLEX 1 scores in the country for two years conscutively
- high Step 1 scores that are over the national average with more than 80% of the class sitting for the exam
- a consistently solid match list; I've linked data for the last couple of years (https://www.unthsc.edu/links/index.php/tcom)
- new, high-quality facilities, if that's a factor for you
- significant interprofessional education, if that's a factor for you
- it's one of the only DO schools in a major city. If that's not a major factor for you, it should be
- our clinical rotations are centered around JPS, a 600-bed county hospital. I have always personally had high regard for county hospitals as teaching hospitals, but your mileage may vary
- and, of course, it's substantially cheaper if the rest of my list fell on deaf ears

My honest thoughts are that I think you would be insane to turn down a TCOM interview even if you had acceptances from DMU, KCUMB, PCOM, and CCOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Basically, I got accepted at ATSU-SOMA, and have other IIs (TCOM, ATSU-KCOM, BCOM, and my state MD school). I just want to know if it is worth skipping the TCOM interview? It’s not scheduled yet, and it will be a pain to schedule it with my work schedule and other IIs.

I also plan on attending all other MD IIs as well as IIs from DMU-COM, KCUMB, PCOM, and CCOM (if I get them).

I only have another 2 days to book my interview at TCOM, with hardly any of the dates working, leading me to miss even MORE work (I need the money).

I love ATSU-SOMA, but I also want the best school I can get in to that will allow me to match competitively for IM (I am interested in cardiology), and I have unfortunately read some negative comments regarding ATSU-SOMA. What do you guys think?
I would go to TCOM, you will thank yourself for not having wasted more than $100,000 later when it comes to paying off your loans. I just turned down KCU for TCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM 100% plus the MD IIs.
DMU as it is a good school.
KCU is equally strong although I did not prefer the area.
CCOM is going to be insane expensive so maybe avoid them although they are a good school.
PCOM may be worth a look as I believe they have some residency programs affiliated

Not attending your TCOM interview would be idiotic.

I'm not saying that just because I go there.

TCOM has:
- the highest COMLEX 1 scores in the country for two years conscutively
- high Step 1 scores that are over the national average with more than 80% of the class sitting for the exam
- a consistently solid match list; I've linked data for the last couple of years (tcom match data table)
- new, high-quality facilities, if that's a factor for you
- significant interprofessional education, if that's a factor for you
- it's one of the only DO schools in a major city. If that's not a major factor for you, it should be
- our clinical rotations are centered around JPS, a 600-bed county hospital. I have always personally had high regard for county hospitals as teaching hospitals, but your mileage may vary
- and, of course, it's substantially cheaper if the rest of my list fell on deaf ears

My honest thoughts are that I think you would be insane to turn down a TCOM interview even if you had acceptances from DMU, KCUMB, PCOM, and CCOM.
Don’t mean to be rude but data provided by tcom to use showed a step one average of 217, which is below national average. But I agree attend the tcom interview, for a DO school it’s solid

Reactions: 1 user