ATSU-SOMA vs. TouroCOM-Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celly23

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently been accepted to TouroCOM and ATSU and was hoping to gather some perspectives and thoughts about which school I should choose. I've already accepted my offer to TouroCOM, but am not opposed to attending ATSU if I believe it is the better option. ATSU is appealing to me because I love to travel and find the 1+3 curriculum pretty awesome. It also seems like the nicer/newer school. TouroCOM is also appealing to me because it's closer to home (NJ), and has graded courses, which I think is better with boards now being pass/fail. I'm also uncertain as to what residencies I can see myself doing and believe ATSU is more focused on primary care, which I would love to do, but don't want to end up limiting myself.

I would love to hear from you all about your thoughts on these schools and other aspects I should be considering when deciding. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both and would chose TouroCOM. Even though ATSU is newer and nicer, you're only on campus your first year. When I talked to current first year students about the CHC sites at SOMA, they just gave generic answers about how great they are, but couldn't answer specific questions about the CHCs. Which makes sense since they've never been there and probably don't know 2nd-4th year students well who would have more information about the CHCs. Also since it's late in the cycle now, all of the good CHCs in big cities are full and you probably will get a less desirable location that has less opportunity, and you don't know the quality of education at them, which I've heard varies a lot.

I think it totally depends on which CHC you're at for ATSU. I personally really didn't like the vibe there when I interviewed, and I know if I didn't have my first choice of CHC I wouldn't go. Also I don't know how to feel about only having like 12 other classmates for 3 years. I vote Touro-Harlem.

I interviewed at both and would chose TouroCOM. Even though ATSU is newer and nicer, you're only on campus your first year. When I talked to current first year students about the CHC sites at SOMA, they just gave generic answers about how great they are, but couldn't answer specific questions about the CHCs. Which makes sense since they've never been there and probably don't know 2nd-4th year students well who would have more information about the CHCs. Also since it's late in the cycle now, all of the good CHCs in big cities are full and you probably will get a less desirable location that has less opportunity, and you don't know the quality of education at them, which I've heard varies a lot.
Thank you so much for your response. It's very helpful hear this since I actually never had a chance to visit ATSU because of COVID.

I think it totally depends on which CHC you're at for ATSU. I personally really didn't like the vibe there when I interviewed, and I know if I didn't have my first choice of CHC I wouldn't go. Also I don't know how to feel about only having like 12 other classmates for 3 years. I vote Touro-Harlem.
I really appreciate your input! Thank you.