Attempting to match near military bf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleetgoddess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My experience is that military medicine is completely unpredictable. You've got to take what opportunities are available today because there is no telling what would happen tomorrow. If you try to plan your civilian residency based on what might happen in the future that is a setup for failure. You will also end up missing out on opportunities.

My recommendation is to try match near a large Army military hospital and hope your boyfriend matches there.

Another important point is the military might give you special consideration in the future regarding this but only if you are married.

He told me that there is no way to defer to civilian residency but I read in some older entries that it used to happen. Is there anyway this can work today in the army?
Deferments aren't as common in the Army since there are a lot more residency slots and more chances at getting an Army residency. Hopefully an Army anesthesiologist can tell you what the deferment situation has been like lately.
The only other option he said is if I wanted to stay where we currently are he could do 6 years as flight surgeon while I do residency but I think that would be boring for him.
Keep in mind that becoming a flight surgeon doesn't guarantee anything. After becoming a FS, he could be stationed anywhere, and in a lot of places much less likely to be near civilian residencies than where the Army trains its anesthesiologists. Also, flight surgeons have a tendency of being deployed quite a bit.

IgD is right that it's really pretty unpredictable. Couples matches in the civilian sector are difficult. Hoping for an Army deferment AND hoping to couples matches is even more challenging. Fingers crossed for you and your boyfriend....

Members don't see this ad :)
no one is getting deferred in the Army right now ... All the Anesthesia people that didnt match either went transitional or IM/FP that I know of

---------------- Listening to: Zoot Woman - Calmer via FoxyTunes
After he does a GMO year, my bf and I will be trying to match near each other. I'm trying to match in a civilian ortho program and he will be trying for army anesthesia. He told me that there is no way to defer to civilian residency but I read in some older entries that it used to happen. Is there anyway this can work today in the army?

The only other option he said is if I wanted to stay where we currently are he could do 6 years as flight surgeon while I do residency but I think that would be boring for him.

Can anyone currently defer in the army? Under what circumstances?
I appreciate any advice.

Your best bet would be trying to match where he ends up. Military match is mid December before civilian rank lists are submitted. Otherwise there are long odds of you guys syncing. The other alternative would be to get married to better the odds.

Thanks for the info.
I guess this is what I for the most part knew. This helped me plan my away rotations for ortho though. Frustrating.