Attend-East Coast and Practice-West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belle123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be difficult to attend dental school (NYU/BU)in the east coast, and try to practice in the west coast, in particular, california??

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take CA boards which I heard are pretty tough. CA schools prep you for them better so if you know you are gonna practice in CA and got accepted to a CA school I'd say go to that one.

The dentist I shadowed went to UCSF as a second pick for this very reason (She knew she wanted to practice in CA)

PDizzle said:
You have to take CA boards which I heard are pretty tough. CA schools prep you for them better so if you know you are gonna practice in CA and got accepted to a CA school I'd say go to that one.

The dentist I shadowed went to UCSF as a second pick for this very reason (She knew she wanted to practice in CA)

Thank you for your reply Pdizzle. That is what I heard, too. Couple non-california dental school graduates I know can't practice in california, b/c they can't pass the california boards. BTW, nice website! (predents.com)

Members don't see this ad :)
my brother went to nyu and is trying to practice in california. its been hell for him with waiting to see if california will take the western regional boards or only the california board and so on and so on. but heres the thing, if it is between an east coast school or ucsf id say go to the east coast so i can have your spot at ucsf hahahahhahh.

thats my knowledge

belle123 said:
Thank you for your reply Pdizzle. That is what I heard, too. Couple non-california dental school graduates I know can't practice in california, b/c they can't pass the california boards. BTW, nice website! (predents.com)

Thx!

I bet there are prep courses that you can take that prepare you for them. You might want to look into that. You got 4 years to figure it out! :laugh:

xylashellx said:
my brother went to nyu and is trying to practice in california. its been hell for him with waiting to see if california will take the western regional boards or only the california board and so on and so on. but heres the thing, if it is between an east coast school or ucsf id say go to the east coast so i can have your spot at ucsf hahahahhahh.

thats my knowledge

Sorry. I didn't apply to UCSF. I hope you get in. =)
Between USC and NYU, are you leaning toward USC, just to stay in cali?
I heard many students from cali are at NYU. What happens to many of them after graduation? Can't go back home to practice?

I read an email from the dean of UOP that said CA will accept the Western Boards now so you can pretty much go to any school in the US. I got the email through my pre-dental club at UCSD and the student I got it from goes to UOP I think so it's a very reliable source so no more worrying about the CA Boards to practice. This was like a month ago. I'll chk to see if I still have the email but I doubt it.

mellowt said:
I read an email from the dean of UOP that said CA will accept the Western Boards now so you can pretty much go to any school. I got through my pre-dental club at UCSD and the student I got it from goes to UOP I think so it's a very reliable source so no more worrying about the CA Boards to practice. This was like a month ago.

That is good news. Thanks. Western Boards are not too difficult to pass, right?

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/pdf/wreb_exam_update.pdf

Heres a link enjoy. You still have to take the ethics test but i dont know much about it. I actually heard they changed the Western Boards and a lot of people didnt pass recently but thats just what I overheard. Honestly any test is hard haha.

From what I understand, if you study in a school outside of California and practice for a couple years (~3-5 years) in another state, you can apply to practice in California without taking the boards.

The dentist I work for practiced in NY after graduating from Columbia for 3 years, I believe, after she passed the boards required for the whole Northeast region of the US. She told me all she had to do was apply to practice in CA, show she's been practicing for a couple years in NY, and show her results on her boards, and she was allowed to practice in CA.

Besides, renting space and finding an area that isn't already saturated with dentists is very hard in California. It might be best to practice elsewhere.

belle123 said:
Sorry. I didn't apply to UCSF. I hope you get in. =)
Between USC and NYU, are you leaning toward USC, just to stay in cali?
I heard many students from cali are at NYU. What happens to many of them after graduation? Can't go back home to practice?

im as of now going to usc unless ucsf comes calling. it saves some money and also saves on flying home, buying winter coats, and telephone bills haha. no i just think its better for me in general.

xylashellx said:
im as of now going to usc unless ucsf comes calling. it saves some money and also saves on flying home, buying winter coats, and telephone bills haha. no i just think its better for me in general.

I was in same boat. I interviewed at USC and really didn't want to go and I think it showed in my interview/pbl session(and probably why I didn't get accepted as of yet). The cost, location and my aversion to PBL made USC a last pick situation for me.

Hope to cya in the fall! Good luck.

i think they added CA to the western regional boards, no?

it seems like NYU has (classes/reviews) some academic time devoted to prepare students both for the WREB and NERB. I think they also have on-site WREB testings conducted at NYU, right? However, BU only has information about NERB testing on it's website (maybe I'm wrong)??? So would it be beneficial to go to a school that'll help me prepare for the WREB if I want to go back to california?