Attending a pre-candidate accredited pharmacy school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cd87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it? What kind of risks are we talking about here. What's a good way to assess a school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is worth it.

The fact that the school has Pre-Candidate Status means that it has achieved the first level of accreditation. A school cannot get full accreditation until the first class graduates.

Once a school has candidate status (can happen anytime after matriculating first batch of students), those students have the same rights as students that come from a fully accredited school.

What is the difference between candidate status and full accreditation?
Does this mean that after the first class graduates there will be a period in which they are unable to practice until their school achieves Full accreditation? Or does the school achieve candidate status some time period while the first class is in school, and when they graduate they have same rights?

Members don't see this ad :)
most difficult status to attain is pre-candidate. no school in the history of ACPE has failed once achieving pre-candidate.

things to look for:
1) background/pedigree of your faculty. did they get dumped here from another country? Or did they come from well known/accredited programs?

2) regional accreditation. Make sure they at least have regional accreditation from one of the major regional accrediting bodies.

3) other programs. if they have other programs that are in good standing, chances are, you're gonna be in good company. The more, the merrier.

4) other resources. do they have an affiliated university hospital? are they tied to the state as a public school?

is it worth the risk? to me, yes, so long as the school has pre-candidate + at least 2 positives with my list above. I wouldn't have considered anything less, but it's your call.

thank you both confettiflyer and sparda, your posts were very helpful. :)