attending making you feel like you are dumb and should not be in the field

person011

5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2013
Status
anyone had their attending tell you that you are way behind their peers and that if you don't care then it is not going to go well? This is when all other preceptors said I knew a lot and gave me honors. This doc questioned the heck out of me from day one on the little details....and no I don't know every detail

HooliganSnail

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some attendings suck. Plain and simple. Over time, they will be removed from teaching positions. Make sure to give him a lousy evaluation.

If feedback from your other rotations have been positive, I would not worry to much. It makes for a long month though.....

immonpath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Sucks indeed.
You will learn that not everyone will like you, this is great practice for residency when it actually matters.
Try to think of it as a refining process, build thick skin and persevere through it, and never participate in passive aggressiveness- it only hurts the student.

Hope it gets better.

Reactions: DermViser

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Gotta just make sure that it is only one attending and not something that is felt by multiple people. If one person has a problem with you then it's their problem. If a bunch of people have a problem with you, it's probably you that's the problem.

Top Gun

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
As long as its not a pattern, its the one attending's problem. You said the other attendings gave you honors and complimented you on your knowledge base, so most likely you just got an a$$hole attending.

mercaptovizadeh

ἀλώπηξ
10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
I had a toxic resident and a toxic intern once before. Just grin and bear it and hope that their evaluation only counts for 10-20% and no more. IF other people like you and you impress them with your work ethic and knowledge base, you should still do just fine. If the attending dumps negative comments, be sure to complain and get them expunged (as I did on one rotation where an idiot attending made some inappropriate evaluation comments).