Attending Medical School at your undergrad institution.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know who was doing it/where it is, and also what your feelings are on it. I personally am kind of disappointed because I was looking forward to a change of scenery. However I'm glad that I already know my way around, so I don't have to get used to a new town (although I was kind of looking forward to that as well).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also planning to stay at my undergraduate school for med school. It was actually one of my top choices because I wanted to stay in NYC and I am excited to go. The "same scenery" problem won't be much of an issue because NYU med is not on campus with the other schools (but is close enough so that I can use it's library and other facilities.)

Biscuit799 said:
I wanted to know who was doing it/where it is, and also what your feelings are on it. I personally am kind of disappointed because I was looking forward to a change of scenery. However I'm glad that I already know my way around, so I don't have to get used to a new town (although I was kind of looking forward to that as well).

well, at least you have plenty of sunshine and nice weather to look forward to! you can always move somewhere different for your residency too, if it doesn't happen next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would *love* to stay at my undergrad institution for med school. Granted, I'll have been out of school for 4 years, so I think that'll make me less inclined to be completely underwhelmed by the scenery, people, routine, etc. Plus the city's (New Haven) changed a lot in the last 4 years and I have a bunch of friends who've settled down there - so we could recreate our college experience on a daily basis! Or just drink a lot. But that's basically the same thing. ;)

Would be AWESOME. But I guess that decision's not really up to me now, is it?! Come on, ADCOMS! COME. ON!

I'm kind of disappointed that I won't be going somewhere new...my undergrad school is my backup. I am not excited about the feeling of seeing all the people from classes in undergrad, so it doesn't seem as much fun. Also, after going to different medical schools, I know what areas my backup is lacking in, so I'll probably be wondering what kind of doctor would I have become if I got accepted to one of my top choices....sigh

Unfortunately, I'll be going to med school at my undergrad's rival, only 1.5 hours away. But then, the scenery doesn't change much in Mississippi.

I did it and I like it overall.
Up sides: Still close to my family and friends, I know my way around and where I like to study, easy research opportunities since I had connections to profs before,
Down side: I am friends with about 3 people in my class...I didn't need or have time for new friends when I got here so I didn't do any of the random social crap that everyone else did at the beginning of school (edit: however the upside is not having to go to these things and talk to ten people you don't click with for every one person that you do). Not a bad thing per se but it makes mandatory classes less appealing.
The scenery is getting OLD, so very OLD, I love the city Im in but god damn...the thought of two more years here just might do me in.

i probably am, because being in new orleans for med school is a good place and very convenient for me.

i stayed at the same place for undergrad and med school and i am very glad that i did. there were many factors that went into the decision to stay in salt lake.

as far as personal reasons go, it has been nice to have my family somewhat close by. it has been a lifesaver to have so many non-med school friends around. that factor, in and of itself, makes my decision worth it. there is something to be said for knowing your way around the city. the skiing and biking are unparalled here. i could go on and on.

it was a fairly easy decision for me to make. tuition here is ridiculously cheap ($15K), which is key because i am racking up some serious debt right now at a private law school. if i had gone to a a private med school i would not have been able to enough think about going to law school. it has been great in other ways as well. because i know the administration so well, it has made getting problems solved that much easier.

i certainly understand the desire and need for a new location (hence my decision to move back east for med school), but the decision about med school was easy.

I would love to go back to my undergrad school! UNC is my top choice school! The SOM is excellent. The tuition is great! I love Chapel Hill and did anyone say B-Ball!!! :D

Skichic56 said:
well, at least you have plenty of sunshine and nice weather to look forward to! you can always move somewhere different for your residency too, if it doesn't happen next year.

It'd be nice if Tallahassee offered any sunshine at all. The winters are really rainy and damp, and it can get pretty cold. Overall it's more like Georgia than Florida. I don't know anything about Gainesville, but I'd definitely rather be in Tampa or Miami. I always tell people Tallahassee is the furthest north I ever want to live. I'm a spoiled Florida boy, and I like it that way!