Attending Navy NAMI as an Army Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raydo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Army HPSP student, but would like to attend the Navy Flight Surgeon course in Pensacola, Fl. I realize the Army also has a flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker, but the Navy's primary course seems to be more extensive; 6 months for Navy versus 6 weeks for Army, with the Navy offering more flight training. Anybody know if this can be done without switching from Army to Navy HPSP?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely, but anything is possible. The problem is that there are administrative differences between the way Navy and Army flight surgery so you’d still have to go through the Army version as well. I don’t see the Army being willing to send/pay for someone for 6+ months of training and I don’t see the Navy being willing to give up a seat within the class, particularly the flight portion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I doubt as a newbie you will convince the Army to send you to a 6+ month course with the Navy only to come back and have to do an additional Army transition course all to be certified to do what people with 6 weeks of training are doing. I can conceivably see an experienced flight surgeon or RAM convincing the Army to send them to the Navy course later in their career as a broadening experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. As a HPSP student you are only allowed 45 days of active duty for training during each year of participation. 180 days is out of the question.

2. HRC will not cut orders for you to go to Florida when the Army is offering Rucker.

3. Should you attend Rucker, and take it upon yourself to drive to Florida for an interview/short rotation (as some have in the past), all travel and housing will be entirely on you. If the Army gives you orders to be at Rucker - that's where you are expected to be. Should something happen to you in transit chances are above 90% the line of duty will not come back in your favor.

1. As a HPSP student you are only allowed 45 days of active duty for training during each year of participation. 180 days is out of the question.

2. HRC will not cut orders for you to go to Florida when the Army is offering Rucker.

3. Should you attend Rucker, and take it upon yourself to drive to Florida for an interview/short rotation (as some have in the past), all travel and housing will be entirely on you. If the Army gives you orders to be at Rucker - that's where you are expected to be. Should something happen to you in transit chances are above 90% the line of duty will not come back in your favor.
Drive to florida on your own? Like just show up with your crap and ask for a seat?

At one point, there was an instructor at Rucker who advised, advocated and arranged for students to go to Pensacola for short rotations and "get to know you" interviews while on ADT at Rucker. He has since moved on, but I mention this in case his legacy lives...

I am an Army HPSP student, but would like to attend the Navy Flight Surgeon course in Pensacola, Fl. I realize the Army also has a flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker, but the Navy's primary course seems to be more extensive; 6 months for Navy versus 6 weeks for Army, with the Navy offering more flight training. Anybody know if this can be done without switching from Army to Navy HPSP?

Why? So you can sit in the back seat of a crap prop plane for 10 flights? Go take some private flying lessons

- ex 61N

Reactions: 1 user
Why? So you can sit in the back seat of a crap prop plane for 10 flights? Go take some private flying lessons

- ex 61N

While it is unlikely this HPSP student will get to train with Navy flight surgery, I’m curious why your think the T-6 is crap. And if you think that is all the Navy flight surgery course has to offer over the Army and Air Force then you are quite wrong. I won’t pretend that those additional aspects are required or make for better flight docs, but it is a much more involved course.

API kicked ass. Just saying.

Reactions: 2 users
I suspect he's venting his frustration that so many people foolishly look to the military to give them their chance for some adrenaline when the civilian world offers the finances and schedule to get ten times the experience.