Attending Research Conference in 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won a grant that gives $1000 as an honorarium to attend a research conference. They give me the option to either take the money now as a check (and not attend the conference in 2022) or defer it and receive it during the in-person conference next year. I was planning on deferring it so I can attend the conference in person... but

I just realized I am going to be starting 3rd year when it takes place in 2022. It will be on the weekend.

Are you given time off from 3rd year clerkships to attend medical research conferences? Is it worth it to attend the conference? I wanted to attend because of the connection opportunities, but not even sure if a 3rd year med student will be someone people will want to talk to there.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you given time off from 3rd year clerkships to attend medical research conferences?
Depends on your program, but this is generally the standard.

not even sure if a 3rd year med student will be someone people will want to talk to there.
I presented a poster at a conference as an M1 and had a lot more people than I expected asking me questions I tried my best to answer. I ended up going into an unrelated field, but I would imagine as an M3 you could make some meaningful connections from a conference.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
your school probably has a policy about absences for research conferences (mine does - if you're presenting a poster/talk/etc you can get an excused absence, just need approval in advance). Check your student handbook or wherever they keep the rules - i guarantee you're not the first student to go to a conference during 3rd year!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
your school probably has a policy about absences for research conferences (mine does - if you're presenting a poster/talk/etc you can get an excused absence, just need approval in advance). Check your student handbook or wherever they keep the rules - i guarantee you're not the first student to go to a conference during 3rd year!
What if it's not to present? I think it's only to walk up on stage and receive the award?

What if it's not to present? I think it's only to walk up on stage and receive the award?
probably depends on your school - I think that would likely be enough to get approval (you're going to the conference for some kind of official reason) but presentations are usually an easier sell than going just because