Attending switching to Radiology: suggestions on how to strengthen application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insearchofwisdom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have thought long and hard about whether it makes sense to go back and do radiology residency and I’ve decided I do want to do this. I acknowledge many of you think this is crazy and I know it can be difficult to find GME funding. Does anyone have recommendations on how to improve my application to make me a stronger candidate and/or how to find a program that either has funding available or where I can find funding for this?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Internal medicine subspecialty
Which one? So I know not to pick that in the future. Jk, but in all seriousness are you going back just because you were always interested in radiology but decided not to during training for whatever reason?

Which one? So I know not to pick that in the future. Jk, but in all seriousness are you going back just because you were always interested in radiology but decided not to during training for whatever reason?

I think the subspecialty is great. Just learning not for me. I didn’t even consider radiology as a med student. Honestly ruled it out Day 1 because I thought being a "real doctor" meant talking to/seeing patients. I don't think I spent a single day exploring radiology, which of course I now regret. In hindsight, I think many of the choices I made when younger were all about what the "right" thing to do was for other people. How can I help people "the most." What would a stereotypical doctor look like? And then I followed that. I didn't stop to figure out if it was right for me or if I even enjoyed those interactions. You can probably psychoanalyze me (haha). I've finally started paying attention to what I actually want/like/appreciate the last few years and I'm somewhat surprised how different that world looks. I started shadowing radiologists and have been like this stuff is so fun and I love that the diagnosis is so objective. You SEE It there. I get it radiology isn't perfect (I've read multiple multiple articles about burnout to make sure I'm not being silly making this decision) but I really think this makes a lot more sense for me.

Reactions: 1 users