ATTENTION: AAMC FL's vs. Actual Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roycer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody who has received their scores already from their MCAT's, please contribute to this poll. This will hopefully separate how people actually scored on their MCAT and how they 'felt' after writing it. I apologize if a poll like this has already been made.

Members don't see this ad.

PS - felt like 12, got a 10
VR - felt like 8, got an 8
BS - felt like 10, got an 11
WS - felt like T, got a T

today to took PS CCBT #3, got a 10 on PS
advice: your scores on the MCAT sample exams through AAMC are nearly dead on.

So far it seems people do score in their AAMC practice range. Though, there are still quite a few people who scored below. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It always struck me as odd that there's no 'sobbing' emoticon on SDN.

So far I've been scoring 31-34 on my AAMC practice exams. I wouldn't mind if I ended up scoring in the range of my CBT's!

So far I've been scoring 31-34 on my AAMC practice exams. I wouldn't mind if I ended up scoring in the range of my CBT's!

Great practice scores! My practices were in the range of 26-31, with the last three being 30, 30, and 31 respectively. I hope that I beat that last practice! I felt really good about the verbal today, hopefully it's reflected on my score!

Thanks! The weirdest part was that it was due to a 12 in PS, when I had only scored 9 and 10 in PS before....and I suck at physics.:laugh:

wow, you represent all my hope! ive been getting 9-10 on PS, physics is also by weak point...what do u contribute your higher score to?

wow, you represent all my hope! ive been getting 9-10 on PS, physics is also by weak point...what do u contribute your higher score to?
Luck.:hardy: But actually, the section DID seem rather easy compared to other PS sections I had done.

I am a biology major and the last time I wrote the MCAT the BS section was my strong point. From my AAMC tests though, the BS seemed to be a little more difficult for me than the PS. :confused:

my question is....are the aamc prac tests even an accurate indicator now? people who've taken the recent tests seem to be saying Kaplan FL's actually come closer, at least in terms of test content/style

Members don't see this ad :)
my question is....are the aamc prac tests even an accurate indicator now? people who've taken the recent tests seem to be saying Kaplan FL's actually come closer, at least in terms of test content/style

I would love to know the answer to this question...b/c on the AAMCs I do ok, on the Kaplans I suck.

I haven't heard many people say that. I'm sure the majority of people on here still say AAMC practice tests are still your best bet. Possibly mix in some Kaplan, but neglecting AAMC all together probably isn't too smart.

well i'm not saying neglect AAMC tests...but there definitely seems to be a changing trend over the past few administrations, just from reading what ppl say on here

Reading the passages more carefully and slowly might be beneficial in the sciences, especially the BS.

Accurate predictor or not, these AAMC exams has really helped with my pacing and confidence. :)

I scored within my practice test score range (and voted in the poll as such), but just wanted to add how much I found the practice tests really helped. Even if I hadn't scored in my practice test range, getting to know the style, form, and difficulty of the questions was well worth the money!

I was 4 points lower on the real test vs my average of the last 3 practice tests (33 vs 37) ugghhhhh :( . Still not quite sure what went wrong. I felt crappy after taking the test, but I thought that was somewhat normal. Anywho, I've been signed up for an "insurance policy" retake for quite some time. Good luck everyone. Catch ya again Aug 20

Bio felt like 13, got an 11. Physical felt like an 8, got a 9. Verbal felt like an 8 or 9 (passages made my eyes glaze over), got an 11. Wrote some of the most miserable pieces of crap in my life for the essays, got an R. Moral of the story is unless you know deep down you bombed it, don't void your scores.

i got a 36M on my real MCAT
and i scored within 29-34 range on my AAMC
something like - 29, 34, 31, 34, 33, etc
Kaplans are weird... i got 17 on the diagnostic, then i got 29, 34, 38

Keep the responses coming people. From the results so far, I'm surprised to see that many people score above their AAMC practice exams.

i got 2 points lower on the real test than my last 3 practices. :(
not sure what happened. maybe random variation. I only took kaplan ones...neglected aamc, bc i felt overwhelmed lol. maybe i shouldnt have...

I generally got more wrong on the AAMC FL test than the real thing
AAMC average was like a 38,
real thing
BS felt like 15, got 15
PS felt like 15, got 14
VR felt like 7, got 11
WS, felt like K, got N

you guys gotta realize all those practice tests you are taking were based on exams that were offered twice a year. the "real" scores nowadays due to the 20+ tests administered throughout the year are much different (although similar concepts) because they have to come up with 10x more test questions! this means they probably hired many different 'experts' to write up questions and do more research than in the past, leading to different results on real exams compared to practice ones...

you guys gotta realize all those practice tests you are taking were based on exams that were offered twice a year. the "real" scores nowadays due to the 20+ tests administered throughout the year are much different (although similar concepts) because they have to come up with 10x more test questions! this means they probably hired many different 'experts' to write up questions and do more research than in the past, leading to different results on real exams compared to practice ones...

They also 'recycle' some of the items from old MCATs, using them in current test administrations. This is why you have to accept the non-disclosure statement before you take the MCAT or any practice tests.

It's pretty interesting that about half of the people score within the range, another quarter score lower, and another quarter score higher. I wonder if this has anything to do with test-day anxiety or whether it's a crap shoot. Maybe we can conduct a research study so we can all get published and put it on our AMCAS! :laugh:

I think my biggest fear is scoring outside of my AAMC average. SPending all that time studying, and it all comes down to 5 hours, and wam dissapointment.

AAMC #3-10 range: 36-40
Real Deal: 35

Words of Advice: I got really cocky on the real deal and spent too much time on the first passage during the actual exam and had to rush thru the remaining PS passages... so instead of a 13 or 14 on PS like I'd been getting on the AAMC CBT's, I got an 11. Pace is hugely important. Take your time on the plug and chug ?'s on PS as they should be gimmies. Also, take some time off during the week or so leading up to the exam. I studied for 6 months before my test date on 5/31 and scored highest on AAMC CBT's about a month before the test. After peaking on CBT 8 I saw a steady downward trend during the last month. I pushed it way to hard over the several weeks prior to the real deal. Don't make the same mistake!!

AAMC #3-10 range: 36-40
Real Deal: 35

Words of Advice: I got really cocky on the real deal and spent too much time on the first passage during the actual exam and had to rush thru the remaining PS passages... so instead of a 13 or 14 on PS like I'd been getting on the AAMC CBT's, I got an 11. Pace is hugely important. Take your time on the plug and chug ?'s on PS as they should be gimmies. Also, take some time off during the week or so leading up to the exam. I studied for 6 months before my test date on 5/31 and scored highest on AAMC CBT's about a month before the test. After peaking on CBT 8 I saw a steady downward trend during the last month. I pushed it way to hard over the several weeks prior to the real deal. Don't make the same mistake!!

Thanks for the advice!! Also congrats on your real score! I will kill for a 35. :)

Bumping this thread. The upcoming score release will be the last bunch of entries into this poll before my MCAT. Please let there be good news!

Hmm I'm not quite sure the AAMC tests are as indicative anymore. We'll see after the July scores come out.

Hmm I'm not quite sure the AAMC tests are as indicative anymore. We'll see after the July scores come out.

Although the tests themselves may not be too representative of what the actual test is like, I have a feeling that the scores received will still be pretty close to the practice range.

My range on AAMC FLs was 34-37 and I got a 32 on the real thing :(. My ranges for each section were 11-13 PS, 10-11 VR, 12-14 BS, and I ended up with 11 PS, 7 VR :(, 14 BS on the real thing. I re-took on 8/6, so I'm hoping for something in or above the practice range for the second time around

AAMC Practice: PS 9-11 (9 only once), VR 12-13, BS always 11, Total 32-35.

I predicted: PS 7, VR 12, BS 11, Total 30. (Got totally killed on the PS)

On July 24th: PS 10 (WTF, I surely lucked out), VR 13, BS 11, Total 34R :)

Never practiced an essay, but I am a good writer, so my advice to those of you who are confident in your writing ability and don't mind getting an R (versus an S or T) is: don't bother practicing the writing sample and focus on your weakest section(s).

AAMC Practice: PS 9-11 (9 only once), VR 12-13, BS always 11, Total 32-35.

I predicted: PS 7, VR 12, BS 11, Total 30. (Got totally killed on the PS)

On July 24th: PS 10 (WTF, I surely lucked out), VR 13, BS 11, Total 34R :)

Never practiced an essay, but I am a good writer, so my advice to those of you who are confident in your writing ability and don't mind getting an R (versus an S or T) is: don't bother practicing the writing sample and focus on your weakest section(s).

Congrats on the score!

The distribution is what you would expect. Certainly doesn't assuage my fears of scoring lower than my practice tests, but at least there is a roughly equal risk of scoring higher. Too bad we can't have a more statistically rigorous study done - depending on how high the person was scoring on AAMC tests, he may have a lot more room for scoring lower on the actual exam. All of these things.