ATTENTION: AAMC FL's vs. Actual Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roycer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody who has received their scores already from their MCAT's, please contribute to this poll. This will hopefully separate how people actually scored on their MCAT and how they 'felt' after writing it. I apologize if a poll like this has already been made.

Members don't see this ad.

i ranged from a 29-34 on my aamc's and scored a 39R on the real thing...wrote in july.. and honestly i don't know why but i felt that the real deal was exactly like the aamc's especially #10... i think that the pressure reallly does get to some people.. for some reason my test facility was really comfortable and easy to feel relaxed in.. i wrote with only one other girls and there were no distractions.. the kaplans FL's were completely random to me and didn't represent the real thing at all... especially for PS and VR. I would do them just to see if u can manage the difficult stuff but don't be discouraged by the poor raw scores associated. Basically just don't pscyh urself out for teh real thing and channel the fear into focus so that u're completely involved in every passage.
cheers

I scored one point higher than my AAMC average on the real thing(36->37). I found the real one obviously more difficult, but everyone is in the same boat, so it ended up roughly the same after the curve.

There's hope for those not hitting spectacular scores during practice:

My AAMC range was 22-25 and I didn't break a 7 on the verbal section.

I actually got 10PS/8VR/10BS but an N in writing (totally my fault, I'm surprised I didn't get an L). I have a background in business, not science, so I'm very happy with my score. Don't get discouraged, people...you can do do it! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There's hope for those not hitting spectacular scores during practice:

My AAMC range was 22-25 and I didn't break a 7 on the verbal section.

I actually got 10PS/8VR/10BS but an N in writing (totally my fault, I'm surprised I didn't get an L). I have a background in business, not science, so I'm very happy with my score. Don't get discouraged, people...you can do do it! :thumbup:

You give me hope sir (or ma'am) :love:

Took 2 AAMC tests: 26, 28
KAPLAN: 1-4: 28, 33, 31, 35, 33

actual 35R.

I'm a crappy test taker and have no attention span so I couldn't force myself to concentrate for 5 hours until I had the MCAT gun to my head.

Took 2 AAMC tests: 26, 28
KAPLAN: 1-4: 28, 33, 31, 35, 33

actual 35R.

I'm a crappy test taker and have no attention span so I couldn't force myself to concentrate for 5 hours until I had the MCAT gun to my head.

Wow!!! why do you think you had such a big difference between your AAMC practice and Kaplan scores?

My AAMC practice scores were 33, 38, 35, 32, 35, 36 and except for a few sections here and there (especially on the 32, probably), I felt that I had given a more or less solid performance after finishing each of them. Basically, I thought the way I felt after finishing them was pretty much in line with the actual results. Although my physics average on those was 13, which is totally weird because I hate physics with a passion and feel fairly ambivalent about gen chem, while I really love bio. My bio average was 11-ish, as was my verbal average, which was also weird for the same reason - those are the ones I really enjoy.

On the real thing, I came out feeling more or less solid about bio and verbal, but completely crushed by physics. And despite feeling pretty good about bio and verbal, I still felt that the whole thing, including those, had been considerably harder than the AAMC practice ones. And yet I came out with a 38... my highest practice score. Go figure. (12 physics, 13 on the other two... so it ended up representing my actual abilities/preferences more accurately.) But, anyway, maybe it's that the curve adjusts for the difficulty of the real thing, or that we're all just really nervous on the day of the real thing so it feels much harder than it actually is... but I guess all in all, the practices were a pretty decent predictor for me.

Which is such a relief. Coming out of that exam I really felt that I would be lucky to have pulled a 32. (July 24th, in case you're wondering). Anyway - best of luck to all of those who still have to take it!!! :luck:

so is it better to say:
1)a majority of people scored equal to or better than their aamcs, with less than 30% scoring lower, or
2)a majority of people scored equal to or worse than their aamcs, with less than 30% scoring higher

so is it better to say:
1)a majority of people scored equal to or better than their aamcs, with less than 30% scoring lower, or
2)a majority of people scored equal to or worse than their aamcs, with less than 30% scoring higher

It's better to say:
3) about 40% scored within their range, while 30% scored higher and 30% scored lower.

You have an equal chance of scoring higher than you range and scoring lower than your range.

I'm just going to bump this in anticipation for the score release of the August 6 test.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're pretty interested in the results of this thread, aren't you? All I know is that after tomorrow, you probably shouldn't expect to see me on SDN for a month. That's right, I have that much self-control.. I think. Good luck tomorrow!

i score within my practice range. 26-33, i got a 30.

my breakdown was exactly the same as AAMC 4.

yeah... the MCAT doesnt feel like the practice aamc tests at all but it sure does a halfway decent job of predicting your score.

Code:
AAMC CBT Scores:

Test     PS      VR     BS    Total
 3       11      08     11      30
 4       11      09     09      29
 5       12      11     10      33
 6       10      11     11      32
 7       11      09     11      31
 8       10      10     11      31
 9       12      09     10      31
 10      12      09     11      32

Test day, June 15 AM Test:

PS/VR felt about average, BS was extremely tough IMO.

I predicted PS 12, VR 10, BS 9 (hoping for a 10!)

Actual scores:
PS 11, VR 11, BS 13, Total: 35

It seems everyone else had a tough time on the BS section, or I got really lucky with my guesses. I could not believe my score when it came out. I checked the thx system every day for the next week to make sure my scores were still there! I thought I was capable of 12-12-12 on a really really good day, where I nailed all the sections. So getting within 1 point of my dream score of 36 is incredible, and +4 from my average practices is crazy.

Although my real scores equaled my highest practice score (31), my breakdown/distribution was very different from my practice tests.

PS - I scored a 9 on the real thing. That's also what I got on my diagnostic several months before the test, and before doing any studying. My AAMC average was a solid 10.
VR - I scored a 10 on the real thing. That was my AAMC average for VR, although my last two practice tests before the MCAT were 11's. I think, though, that I got a relatively easy VR section and the curve was stricter.
BS - I scored a 12 on the real thing. I never scored higher than a 10 in practice, which also turned out to be my AAMC average. I am pleasantly surprised to have done so well in BS. :thumbup:

Total: 31R

I GOT GIBBED OUT OF 2-3 POINTS OF MY AVERAGE. lol. o well

atleast its a balanced 31 with 11 in verbal which i hear is important

CBT's (in order):
# V PS BS Total
3 10 13 12 35
4 12 13 13 38
5 11 12 13 36
6 11 13 13 37
7 10 13 15 38
9 10 13 15 38
10 11 12 15 38
Avgs 10.7 12.7 13.7 37.1

Test day (9/7): 11/15/14 - 40Q

May 31st Actual:
VR 9 PS 6 BS 8 23P

AAMC 3:VR 9 PS 7 BS 9 26
AAMC 4:VR 9 PS 12 BS 11 32
AAMC 5:VR - PS 11 BS - -
AAMC 6:VR 10 PS 13 BS 10 33
AAMC 9:VR 10 PS 12 BS 10 32
AAMC 10:VR 11 PS 12 BS 10 33

Sept. 7th Actual:
VR 10 PS 9 BS 9 28N

Practice PS, VR, BS
Kap FL2 13, 9, 10
AAMC5 10, 13, 10
AAMC6 11, 11, 11
AAMC7 12, 13, 10
AAMC8 13, 13, 10
AAMC9 11, 10, 11
AAMC10 11, 11, 13

Mean 11.6, 11.4, 10.7 (33.7)

Sept 7th Prediction: 14, 7, 9 (30)

Sept 7th Actual: 12, 11, 11 (34)

0.3 above average:rolleyes:
4 above prediction:eek:

XT777

bump again.. sems like there is some correlation.. but anything can happen on test day