Attention all DO students!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamJob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sick and tired of these pointless threads about DO's and are you looked down upon and all this garbage. Lets stop it all right now. DO's are completly equal to MD's. By discussing this over and over again it makes it seem that WE are not. You worked hard to get to where you are and you work hard to stay there. Be Proud of It!!! From Now on please stop starting or responding to all these pathetic threads about this pointless subject!!!

Members don't see this ad.

But the thing is there are some differences between DO's and MD's in terms of residency placement and matriculant statistics.

I want to be a DO, but I'm not going to kid myself by thinking that my DO degree is going to help me become chief of Dermatology at Harvard. There really are some residencies that flat out won't take DO's. The difference in entrace GPA and MCAT are slight, but still there.

There are also differences in the age/life experiences of those admitted to DO school vs. MD school.

People have every right to wonder about these differnces/prejudeces because they could potentially affect their career. For me, these difference don't really matter much... BUT they might to someone who is considering DO school.

I say first do a topic search and if you can't find what your'e looking for, ask away!

If you want to practice medicine and become a good clinician then go for it. The opinions on SDN are just that, opinions. See for yourself on the wards who has the balls and who runs for the hills. You'll see both comming from both degrees.

Now I need to go pick out some swanky beach pants for Spain today...wow 4th year is full of so many tough decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
But without all the MD/DO threads on SDN, people like me might be less distracted...and get more done...

OK that's it. Self-imposed SDN exile for at least a month!

Heh..

MD/DO's... who the hell cares what other people think. Since when are we so concern ??

If I would have put up my mcat grades, Gpa, etc. on SDN and ask people's opinion if they think I would get into a DO school or not, they would've told me to look into another profession...

But i'm in DO school and doing quite well... so lets not care what other people think.

If you are afraid of being looked down upon, trust me... you haven't lived life yet to think that everything is perfect once you've become an "MD" or "DO". Your race, religion, ethnicity, belief, economic status are all measured in our society.

I think the MD/DO thing is a bit the least of our concerns. A few points I would like to make...

1. MD/DO make same salary
2. MD/DO goes through the same courses
3. MD/DO can take the same board exam (USMLE)
4. MD students on average do have higher entrance grades than DO students
5. MD students on average do better on USMLE part 1
6. MD/DO for USMLE step 2 have similar score
7. MD do have a slightly higher chance of matching for very competitive residencies (for those that don't believe, I think you're just lying to yourself)
8. MD/DO, if they believe in themselves, they can do whatever they want
(most magnificant events occur in our existence are due to non-popular belief)