attention current KCOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you do the masters program at KCOM, and how helpful was it in helping you get accepted into the D.O prgram??Also, they say it takes 1 to 2 years to complete the program, so is it easy to complete it in one year??

Members don't see this ad.

HussainGQ said:
Did any of you do the masters program at KCOM, and how helpful was it in helping you get accepted into the D.O prgram??Also, they say it takes 1 to 2 years to complete the program, so is it easy to complete it in one year??

there are quite a few people who are here in the program. i'm not sure if it helps you get in the DO program though. you can't complete it in a year (at least from what i understand) because of the courses you have to take that require prerequisites, like pharm requiring biochem and phys.

i believe there are some who read this board who are in the program so maybe they can help you more...

john

REsearch based masters is very difficult to complete in 1 year. Usually it take 2 years.

Better option to improve your chance of being accepted in one year is to repeat bad course and increase your GPA. Also you can participate in summer research program. That would give your application a boost.

I think I might be the only masters student from KCOM that looks at this site.

Anyhow, I am doing the DO/MS program (the five year route). The masters project is very very difficult to complete in one year (no one has done so yet). Some mentors require that you have your grant funded before doing any experiments (grants are internally funded), but others allow you to start the experiments as soon as you step foot in the lab. I didn't begin my research until March of this year, and I just finished the research. It just takes time to get good data. Since I came in as DO/MS, I only had one year in the MS only portion of the program. Now, I am doing both my masters research/thesis and the DO courses. It is time demanding but doable. I have really enjoyed my experience in the masters program.

About doing the MS program to get your foot in the door, it may help, but you will still need the MCAT score and good grades in the classes you take as a masters student (the MS students here must maintain an 80% average in classes to pass).

Last year, there were several MS only students who applied - some got in and some didn't.

As an MS student, you will get to meet and socialize with the faculty, admissions, etc so yeah it might help, but your application still needs to appeal to those that determine your acceptance.

The MS program has changed since I applied. I am not sure if they have requirements now that the MS only students must fulfill before applying to the DO program or not (such as a 24 on the MCAT and most of your research completed).

About the classes, only biochem I is required. After that it depends on what department you are in. I am in the pharm department so I took physiology I and II. Biochem and Micro students must take biochem II and micro/immuno to fulfill there course requirements. Those that decide on the two year MS route might take histo the following year or pharm or something else. But MS students are only required to take three DO courses (along with the MS only classes). All DO classes taken during the MS program will not be retaken as a DO student. So doing the program does lighten the load up some for the DO program, but like I mentioned earlier, the time is spent working on MS "stuff" instead of studying for that extra class.

Anyhow, I have really enjoyed the program and would do it again. The time spent doing it passes very quickly. If you have further questions, just post them, and I will try to remember to check this website every so often.