ATTENTION!!!: Schools know where you've been accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools which I'm on the waitlist sent me any email mentioning that I've already been accpeted at another school and wanted to know if i still wished to remain on their waitlist. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

But do schools know where you are waitlisted tho?

No, AMCAS just gives out info on acceptances

Schools aren't supposed to start pressuring you until May

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Yogi Bear
One of the schools which I'm on the waitlist sent me any email mentioning that I've already been accpeted at another school and wanted to know if i still wished to remain on their waitlist. :eek:

a friend of mine got a similar email from a school he'd been accepted to. i thought that was pretty weird as well.

yeah, they know on 3/15 according to an admissions guy i talked to at one school.
this is the last time i will post that since i've posted it before :).

oh...I guess I knew that they got this info after a certain date...to be honest I don't think I care...who knows maybe it will incite some to speed up their offers or FA. Probably not but one can dream ;)

i don't necessarily think it's weird that they know. i think it's weird that they're contacting people, letting them know that they know, as if this fact would change someone's mind.

Schools want to let acceptees know that they know what other medical schools they have been accepted to so the acceptees can start to make their final decisions. May 15 is one month away so its time for acceptees to withdraw from schools they will not go to. This way the school can start to accept people off waitlists to fill up their class ASAP. Even though students can get off a waitlist the day before orientation, I'm sure that the schools would prefer that not happen.

Of course they know, they need to know because of the rule that an applicant can only accept one school at a time after May 15. AAMC has a database that tracks acceptances that schools can look at after Mar 15, as lola pointed out. Regarding this, applicants to Tufts may have read this warning from their website:

The Nightmare Scenario You Should Take Precautions To Avoid

You are holding a position in our entering class. You are also holding one or more wait list positions. You decide to go on a fishing trip to the South Pole, or backpacking in Siberia, or someplace where you are inaccessible. While you are gone, one of the schools where you are wait-listed makes you an offer. You don't know that has happened because you're not getting your mail. The school that just made you the offer reports the action to AMCAS, and now you appear as holding at Tufts and holding at the other school (even though you have not responded to their offer, see above).

We send you a request to decline all but one of your acceptances, but you don't receive it and reply because you're inaccessible. So we rescind your position in our class. The other school does not receive your reply before their offer expires, so they rescind you too. You come home from the South Pole to find you have lost your place at both schools.

Ooops!

Originally posted by JlazyMD

The Nightmare Scenario You Should Take Precautions To Avoid
....You decide to go on a fishing trip to the South Pole, or backpacking in Siberia...You come home from the South Pole to find you have lost your place at both schools.

Ooops!

the moral being, don't go anywhere cold this summer... :confused:

Originally posted by JlazyMD
You decide to go on a fishing trip to the South Pole,...You come home from the South Pole to find you have lost your place at both schools.

Ooops!

Besides, this is silly as everyone knows our sumer is Austral winter and so not the time to go fishing in Antarctica! (You would be much better off going in their summer, when there might actually be some fish and some unfrozen water...) and being Austral winter there would be no flights so you wouldn't be able to fly in or out anyway... :p

Med School Admissions is not some game we play to rack up acceptance letters like trophies, we are trying to become doctors. I know my top choice school and I am waitlisted at 5 schools...oh well.

Also, NOTE: if you are accepted somewhere and would rather go to a school that waitlisted you, write a letter to them, b/c they may drop you thinking you will attend the other school. (This is true especially if you get into a top school and you rather go cheaper and attend your state school...)

ONLY 1 month to go!:rolleyes:

At UCD, they told us they know all the schools we're accepted to so that for when they pull people off the waitlist during the end of the summer, they don't pull people off who have already matriculated. She then gave some heart wrenching details about people who matriculated out of state a day before they would have been accepted to UCD.

Members don't see this ad :)
was it creighton by chance, b/c i got the same email from them today. :)

I got the email from Creighton too.

Jetson

Originally posted by cracker69
was it creighton by chance, b/c i got the same email from them today. :)

yup. funny thing was that they mentioned only one of the two schools i've gotten in.

Here's a question....

If every school you are waitlisted at knows where you're accepted at (or not accepted at) do you think that plays any role in how desirable of a candidate they see you as? For example, you have one acceptance at a lower tier school, or you have no acceptances. Could you see them looking at that as 'well obviously other schools are also passing, lets contact the kids with multiple acceptances'?

I hope not! That would not be cool for a lot of us.

I was placed on the Emory waitlist and was told that when/if I sent in updates, tell them if I had been accepted to any schools thus far. So I guess it helps, well in Emory's case. (might show them that you did well at those interviews and those med schools saw something that they (the school which waitlisted you) initially didnt...who knows)

i wonder if know I should call UCSD and tell them they are my first choice even though I got in UCD

I think this practice by AMCAS is somewhat shady, especially when most applicants aren't aware that it's happening. I can't imagine the issue of additional acceptances NOT coming into the picture when scholarship and financial aid packages are offered, at least at some schools. for instance at my state U.'s medical school, scholarship interviews are given in mid-April. At this point the school knows at least how many acceptances the interviewees are holding, if not also where else they have been admitted. with the stated purpose of the scholarships being to "attract excellent in-state students that might otherwise attend a medical school out-of-state," I think that this practice unnecessarily benefits those with multiple acceptances---at least in this case. There should be more confidentiality involved.

I wonder if other analogous organizations (e.g. LSAC for Law schools) practice this also.

You think AMCAS communicates with TMDSAS (Texas app service)?

along the same lines- do you think they contact AACOM? I only have one MD acceptance, but I also have a DO acceptance as well. Trying to make that heart breaking decision right now....

A couple of schools gave me the indication that they were more reluctant to take a kid of the waitlist that had multiple acceptances to similarly prestigious schools. They gave me the impression that there are some schools that they mutually avoided stealing students from. I don't know if this is true...but I would like to think that schools are looking out for the students that are strong but may not have been accepted to the schools they were hoping for yet :)

Originally posted by merlin17
A couple of schools gave me the indication that they were more reluctant to take a kid of the waitlist that had multiple acceptances to similarly prestigious schools.
Hm? Schools where you're waitlisted can look you up and see what acceptances you're holding? That's kind of rude....

Originally posted by gizzdogg
I think this practice by AMCAS is somewhat shady...with the stated purpose of the scholarships being to "attract excellent in-state students that might otherwise attend a medical school out-of-state," I think that this practice unnecessarily benefits those with multiple acceptances

why is it unnecessary? I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone with other options to be able to parle that into better funding, and infact many people do this (ie they write and tell the school) so it wouldn't be a secret anyway.

If those scholarships are specifically to attract students they might not otherwise get, surely it makes sense to offer them to the bright ones they know have other options than the bright ones who don't....

I think most schools just want to fill their class. I think they could care less about what other schools you have been accepted to, with the possible exception of special applicant groups. I also don't think that many financial aid offices hold regular (ie weekly) communication with admissions.

I think these are all interesting theories about schools making admissions and financial aid decisions based on an applicant's other acceptances, but I don't believe any of these practices are common.

hmmm. i wonder if that's why einstein never cashed my tuition deposit check. when i withdrew, they just sent my check back...

is there communication between tmdsas and amcas?

so if I get an acceptance through tmdsas and defer, would i be able to apply through amcas and deny having applied anywhere before?

you wouldn't be able to find out about tmdsas acceptances until feb 1st anyway...by that time your chances at amcas schools would be over if you hadn't applied yet.

i would apply amcas next application cycle b/c the tmdsas would be defered