Attention SDNers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolio30

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just have a question regarding Early Decision Program for all of those who have already applied or considered doing this. If you do EDP, does this mean that you are restricted from applying to any other medical school or simply any other school through EDP. Also, does this mean that I cannot apply to an osteopathic school via EDP. With a 3.9 and a 28 (this is what I am averaging now in my practice), do you think that I should do EDP because I know that I only want to attend RWJ in NJ. Or perhaps just do rolling admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi :)

As far as I know, to apply EDP you can ONLY apply to one school. (and not one MD and one DO). I have heard that you must be a competitive applicant to get an acceptance, but I don't know what the NJ school requires as "competitive" stats, esp since you have such a high gpa. Maybe ask a school counselor?

Also, just in case you don't get accepted by Oct 15th, you will be at a disadantage b/c you will have to apply late. But some people on this board STILL got in after that, so it is very possible. I guess it would put you in the same time frame as the August MCATers, although you will not have your secondaries turned in (but you could have the essays completed and ready to go asap).

Sorry I can't be of more help. Basically, only apply EDP if you have a great chance of getting in. Your mcat score will still improve in the next month, so you could definitely be looking at 30+.

Best of luck to you!

EDP is a risky venture. The main reason was stated by foxy, if you aren't accepted your application for other schools will be delayed.

if you do regular decision you can still have early interviews.

when i applied to my state school, i interviewed on a day that only EDP students were interviewing. i got in a few weeks after they found out their results. so i didn't feel like i missed out on anything.

at the same time, i wasn't sure where i wanted to go.

Hi there,

Choker is probably a good person to whom you might address this question, as he applied to Cornell EDP. From his comments, he seems to regret the choice. . . in fact, he said at least once "it was a mistake," because it ultimately resulted in a deferral to regular decision, and then he had to scramble to send out other applications. It might be wise to look into the EDP program at NJ, and ask the admissions office for further details.

Good luck! :)