Attention-UCI med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellydancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am relatively new to this forum, but have been lurking around for a while.

UCI is like my dream place to go for med school. Don't ask me why, I have a very weird fascination for that school. I love how the people there are very friendly, its a fun school- nerdy yet fun and many mroe things that will make me very happy about med school in general.

I was wondering, as to what are my chances of getting into UCI med?

my gpa: 3.4
my mcat: 13P,12V,13B

I have never had a job. I have mediocre extracurriculars and research on my plate. How good or bad are my chances of getting accepted to UCI?

Thankyou!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a CA resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great shot, but nothing is certain in this process. Nobody knows what the CA schools are really looking for. I thought that I'd get an interview because I'd done a lot of research at UCI's medical school, but I didn't. Your best bet would be to keep in contact with the school, sent update letters, etc., so that UCI knows how interested you are.

just curious, isn't UCI a research based school, just like UCSD?

Hey guys, this is the first time I've ever seen this site. Pretty cool stuff. This is kinda a long post, but if you could bear with me I'd really, really appreciate it.
So yeah, all this is new to me, and I'm applying to DO and MD schools right now. Could someone tell me what my "chances" are for MD and DO schools? Here are my numbers

UCLA undergrad (psychobio major) 3.4 gpa, 3.3 science
UCLA grad (biomedical physics) gpa 3.6
MCAT V11 P10 B9 Q

Experiences:
-hospital volunteering
-ridiculous amount of community service
-currently the chief medical physicist of ucla's veterinary radiation oncology
-3 clinical rotations, including stereotactic spinal radiosurgery
-IMRT, IGRT, immunoradiotherapy thesis research

I read somewhere on this forum that schools like to focus on undergrad gpa's because they don't know how "hard" grad classes are? Do they look at it on a program by program basis at least?? I mean the biomedical physics program at ucla was friggin' rough for me! It's one of 10 AAPM accredited programs in the entire nation and I thought I was gonna lose my mind my first year here haha.
But anyway, any feed back about my chances for med or do school would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Hi Pewl, I think you have a good chance if you apply wisely. Are you applying to a good number of schools? The CA schools are really weird in this process, so I recommend applying to 25-30 schools if possible. I applied to 27. Good luck with everything and private message me if you have any questions! I just graduated from UCLA undergrad so I might be able to answer any school-specific questions you have. Go Bruins! ;)

UCLAstudent said:
I think you have a great shot, but nothing is certain in this process. Nobody knows what the CA schools are really looking for. I thought that I'd get an interview because I'd done a lot of research at UCI's medical school, but I didn't. Your best bet would be to keep in contact with the school, sent update letters, etc., so that UCI knows how interested you are.

Are update letters best sent before or after interviews?

TicAL said:
Are update letters best sent before or after interviews?

Usually after, but if the school is taking its sweet time to grant an interview, you might want to nudge with a letter. :) It's too early for letters right now, though. For UCI, I'd say to send a letter if you haven't heard about an interview by October/November-ish.