Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Attention UMN Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 5639953, Mar 26, 2004.

1. 5639953

5639953 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have noticed that some of us were wait-listed at UMN, just like myself. The office of admissions explained in the letter that they don't expect us to add anything to our file, at this point, as it won't matter. They also mentioned something about reviewing some more files before they give us their final answer by mid-may.

Is it common to be wait-listed at UMNl?
    What chances do we have to get off the waiting list and what does it depend on at this point? Does it mean that we are accepted but there is no room in the class, so until something opens up, we are considered to be wait-listed? Or is it more like that they need some more time to think about their final decision? i.e, we are not that good to be accepted right the way, and we are not that bad to be rejected right the way, either?? How much movement was it for the past years?:confused: :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 5639953

5639953 Member
    7+ Year Member

4. kiernin

kiernin Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just wish they would send me something. I interviewed 2 months ago and still no word. :confused:

If they do waitlist me, I will eagerly join in this discussion with you.

5. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I unfortunately don't know the answer to your question, but would be interested in any information anyone has on the subject as well. I am also in the same dreaded Wait List pool. My understanding of the situation is as you said above that we aren't good or bad enough to accept or reject immediately because they don't know how we compare to the rest of the candidates. I suspect that many of us will eventually get put on the alternate list. I also suspect that we won't hear anything from them until April 14th at 11pm - this happened to a friend of mine in the same situation last year.

I really liked the U, and would happily go there over nearly every other place I have interviewed, but I think their admissions process is annoying and not applicant friendly.

Hopefully someone who has more experience with the UMN admissions process will be able to address the waitlist movement questions. :confused:

6. Zahri

Zahri Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why do you say April 14th at 11PM? Are they supposed to let everyone know by then? I interviewed about a month back and haven't heard from them. I was wondering whether I wouldn't hear until May...

7. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Whoops, sorry. I meant May 14th, not April.

8. 5639953

5639953 Member
    7+ Year Member

For those of you who are waiting for any news, I personally have waited for more than 3 or 4 months after my interview before I heard back from them. Anyone else is expecting any thing from UMN, like have not heard back, or wait-listed?

9. pud129

pud129 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,
    Just wanted to wish all of you who are waiting the best of luck. i'll most likely be going to the U of Mn next year, so I hope I'll see you all as classmates!

10. SurgeryRA

SurgeryRA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in the wait list category also. It sucks that it involves more waiting...and then to make it worse after all the waiting you can be placed on the alternate list. Does anyone know when people in this category last year heard back from UMN?

11. 5639953

5639953 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have no idea!! But, they said in their letter that we would hear back NO LATER THAN May 15th. So, if I understand them correctly, they mean Sometime before may 15th. So, maybe this month, or next month. But again, they said that the wait to hear back was alot shorter than what actually happened to me.

Does the MCAT still count after being through all this? How is everyone doing on that, if I may ask?