Attention VA students - Which HA&P class is the correct one?

NATO

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Tacoma (WA)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm signing up for next semester's pre-PT classes day after tomorrow. I'm planning to take Human Anatomy & Physiology part 1 and part 2 at the local community college. I thought BIO141 (HA&P part 1) and BIO 142 (HA&P part2) are the classes required by PT programs. However, I saw there is also another set of HA&P classes (BIO 231 and BIO 232) that the state of Virginia community colleges offer. I know a few of you attend VA for college. Can you let me know which is the corret set of HA&P classes that I need? Here are the descriptions of BIO 141 vs. BIO 231.

It looks like BIO 141 is the "easier" of the two choices, which makes me believe that BIO 231 is what I need to enroll in. Would PT schools even know the difference between the two classes? After all, they are both titled the same. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

BIO 141 - Human Anatomy And Physiology I
This course is recommended for students in health technologies who plan to transfer to a four-year program
and have not taken BIO 101-102. This course is recommended for students in health technologies who plan to
transfer to a four-year program and have not taken BIO 101-102.
Integrates anatomy and physiology of cells, tissues, organs, and systems of the human body.
Integrates concepts of chemistry, physics, and pathology. Lecture 3 hours.
Recitation and laboratory 3 hours. Total 6 hours per week.

BIO 231 - 001A Human Anatomy & Physiology I
*Prerequisites are one year of college biology and one year of college chemistry or division approval.
Integrates the study of gross and microscopic anatomy with physiology, emphasizing the analysis and
interpretation of physiological data. Lecture 3 hours. Recitation and laboratory 3 hours. Total 6 hours per week.

OP
N

NATO

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Tacoma (WA)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
On a similar note, I've always wondered how PT admissions committee can determine the difference between 2 classes with the same course title. On some PT program websites, they are very vague with what they want applicants to take. For example, I read one PT website that asked for the following:

1 year of biology
1 year of chemistry
1 year of physics
1 year of human anatomy
1 year of human physiology
statics
psychology
advanced psychology course

Based soley off of Virginia's community colleges, there are choices between General Chemistry and College Chemistry. NOVA in Florida asked for General Chemistry, but do they actually mean College Chemistry (per VA's standards)? I guess the primary questions is how can PT programs accross the US determine if all of us applicants have taken the "right" courses if many of these classes vary in title? Transcripts just give course titles, credits earned, when the class was taken, and grade received.

Any insight? :confused:

Sep 8, 2009
Virginia
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Yeah, don't know why, but those were the 2 offered at CC when I was getting my pre-req's in Richmond. Long story short, both will count towards the requirement. I took Bio 141, then tried to get into the other one (second round, whatever they title it) at another CC and was denied, but after talking to my prof at the time, they're the exact same thing. Also, it was more worth it for me take 141/142 at a different CC b/c they didn't have a chem pre-req requirement, which, at the time of signing up for 141, I didn't have. So...either one works b/c I'm in a program and it didn't matter. Hope this helps.

Sep 8, 2009
Virginia
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Per your chem question, you need college chemistry. General at a CC isn't considered the same as if you took general at a 4 year school. If you get confused, go to a 4 year site (VCU's for example) and go to their college transfer site. You can enter a class/# from a CC, and it will tell you what it's equivalant to.