aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
I know we have a few veterans out there - just wanted to make sure everyone has turned in their paperwork.

Contact your VA office now - especially if you have been receiving benefits under Ch 30 (Montgomery GI Bill). They have to recertify you under ch 33 - they have to do this correctly - so far I know of 3 veterans that have had there packets submitted incorrectly.

ALSO - remember to check your benefits packages.

You should get:

Tuition payments to your program. Based upon credit hours (the school should get paid from the VA based upon a certain cost per credit hour)

$1000 for fees and books - If your fees do not exceed 1000, you should be able to get the rest applied to tuition

BAH as well. For me, it is 724 / month. It is based upon what area code your school is located. This is not paid to the school, it is paid directly to you in the same manner as ch 30.

You will have to certify your enrollment monthly (at least, I was told so) via the WAVE website or toll free #.

ALSO - and this is very important. If your cost of attendance is greater than the post 9/11 GI Bill can cover - there is a special program called "Yellow Ribbon" which is an agreement between the VA and your school - where the two of them split the remaining cost of attendance, such that the cost to the student is zero dollars. You must be 100% eligible (based upon service after 9/11). I believe 36 months is considered 100%.

That is all

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I spoke to several VA counselors to verify, but as I understand it, we're eligible to do the following:

Almost expend your entire Ch. 30 benefit (34-35 months) and switch to the new bill. According to the VA website, if you switch when you have less than a year on your Chapter 30 benefits, you're eligible for 12 months of the new bill.

The new bill is helpful, but so is having 47 months of benefits. Just putting it out there as an option.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Why, oh dear God why, did I take SLRP and waive out of the MGI Bill.

Worst part is, you can be eligible for Post-9/11 even if you took SLRP, but only if you served 6 years past the time when your SLRP was exhausted.

Oh well!

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I'm pretty sure Texas veterans have the sweetest education benefits combo. Once your GI Bill and post-9/11 act have been used up, you can tap into the Hazlewood Act, which pays 100% of your tuition/fees at any public institution in the state for up to 120 hours.

PharmD + MBA, or MS, or MPH... Choices, choices...

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm pretty sure Texas veterans have the sweetest education benefits combo. Once your GI Bill and post-9/11 act have been used up, you can tap into the Hazlewood Act, which pays 100% of your tuition/fees at any public institution in the state for up to 120 hours.

PharmD + MBA, or MS, or MPH... Choices, choices...
Yea, that is pretty awesome. I thought about changing my residency to Texas when I was stationed at Fort Hood, but I just can't betray California, not for any price, including Hazelwood monies.

OP
aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
I spoke to several VA counselors to verify, but as I understand it, we're eligible to do the following:

Almost expend your entire Ch. 30 benefit (34-35 months) and switch to the new bill. According to the VA website, if you switch when you have less than a year on your Chapter 30 benefits, you're eligible for 12 months of the new bill.

The new bill is helpful, but so is having 47 months of benefits. Just putting it out there as an option.
I don't think that is a good idea. No matter which way you combine ch 30 and 33 - you can only use 48 months of benefits...

As to those benefits if your cost of attendance is high (as most pharmacy schools are, even public) - then the best deal would be to use 12 - 13 months of MGIB and make the switch to Post 9/11.

Under MGIB I received:

1180 / month... = $4720 approx per semester.

Under post 9/11 I will receive:

420 / credit hour * 18 hours = 7560
724 (BAH)/ month = 2896
1000/yr divided into semesters) = 333 for fees and or books

Total = $10,789

There is NO comparison in the programs (unless your school is crazy dirt cheap). There is no cap on the amount of money you can receive under the Post 9/11. It will simply vary with how expensive your schools tuition is...

OP
aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
Yea, that is pretty awesome. I thought about changing my residency to Texas when I was stationed at Fort Hood, but I just can't betray California, not for any price, including Hazelwood monies.
Every soul has a price... mine cost $1.06 - what a slurpee it bought :nod:

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I'll switch over once I'm in pharmacy school, most likely. But for right now, I receive about $1450 each month from my MGIB (I have the kicker). I'm just doing grants/loans for the community college I'm attending since my pharm school loans shouldn't be as high as the average non-vet's (since tuition won't be a factor, just cost of living).