attire at research asst job interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rudi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Hope everything's going well. I have an interview for a clinical research asst. job for my year off soon. What should I wear? I was thinking shirt/tie/khakis and a brown blazer. Or do I have to be a baller and wear a suit? Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough question. I guess it depends on the lab...if you don't already know anyone that works there, go with formal attire just to be safe. Even if the lab is fairly relaxed, it'll let them know you're serious.

Be a baller...I recommend a suit. It shows that you are professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on how old and conservative the faculty is. a suit might be too much, yet more professional and shows you care more. better safe than sorry.

I'd go w/ a sport coat and slacks. You'll look serious enough and you won't look too overboard. Since research isn't a interpersonnal job per se, lab people wear whatever they want when they work, normally bussiness casual at the dressy end.

When I applied for these jobs I initially went into interviews with a blazer, tie, and dress shirt, but I quickly downgraded to college prep: buttoned downed collard shirt, kakhis and a nice belt and shoes. I looked more like the people who worked there, but especially like the people interviewing me.

suit. this isn't benchtop research, you will be interacting with patients, and need to show you will at least be casually well dressed for this job.

Go with what you are most comfortable in. A suit may project a more professional appearance, but if you feel more comfortable in shirt and tie, go with that. PI's are generally the only people you will see in suits. If you have to interact with patients (not a definate, even if it is clinical), you will not be required to wear a suit.

i suggest a monkey suit with clown shoes

Originally posted by duncanfj
Go with what you are most comfortable in. A suit may project a more professional appearance, but if you feel more comfortable in shirt and tie, go with that. PI's are generally the only people you will see in suits. If you have to interact with patients (not a definate, even if it is clinical), you will not be required to wear a suit.

actually my friend does clinical research and his PI makes him wear a tie and all with a white coat. it creates trust between you and the patient and makes things much easier for the researcher.

It all depends on the lab. We have 5-7 clinical labs on my floor, none of the research staff have any contact with patients or wear anything other than jeans and t-shirts. Just because you work in clinical research does not mean you interact with patients. Sometimes that just means you handle specimens from patients. If someone is looking for patient contact, they should always make sure what kind of lab they are going into and what their work will entail.

Originally posted by duncanfj
If you have to interact with patients (not a definate, even if it is clinical), you will not be required to wear a suit.

Of course not, but this is a job interview. ;) Most people judge yes/no in the first 15 seconds..