Attire for meeting with admissions counselor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic2doc

UNECOM Class Of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with the admissions counselor of my top choice school next week. ( i will be applying this upcomng application cycle). I was wondering what everyones advice for attire is. I was thinking that a dress shirt with nice pants would be appropriate. I think a suit is a little over the top since i am not interviewing, as is a blazer and tie. what is everyones feeling?

thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am meeting with the admissions counselor of my top choice school next week. ( i will be applying this upcomng application cycle). I was wondering what everyones advice for attire is. I was thinking that a dress shirt with nice pants would be appropriate. I think a suit is a little over the top since i am not interviewing, as is a blazer and tie. what is everyones feeling?

thanks in advance!!

Well, I'm not sure, since I've never been in this particular situation. I don't think you can actually go over the top, for the most part, though. When I feel into the situation, I'd personally do the blazer and tie; it's formal without being interview-slick. It's a professional meeting, so it guess it would be proper to dress for it.

business casual would probably be fine if its just an informational meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks in advance!!

I would get a feel for what the school is like...what is the dress code for the students? If the school is more laid-back, I'd probably go business casual. If it is a more traditional, old-school type environment, I'd step it up to a suit. I don't think there is ever a situation (in a professional setting) in which a suit is inappropriate. Remember, it is your first impression - if you go decked out in a slick suit and the guy remembers that you were way overdressed, at least he still remembers you. Whereas, if you go in looking like everyone else, he may not remember you. Just my opinion.

thanks in advance!!

I had a similar situation. I wore a shirt and tie. It was weird because I am doing a masters and I was meeting with the dean of admissions. When he saw me he was like "oh my God you're wearing a tie..." and he chuckled.

I wouldn't have gone in there with anything less, but in the long run I got into the school. So I must have made an excellent impression, not to mention a kick ass graduate GPA. lol!!:thumbup:

i went to meet with someone from admissions before i applied, and i wore a nice button down shirt/dress pants as a girl. i wouldn't do more than that, you basically need to show them that you care about this meeting and you're not a slob, which i think that'll convey.

Thanks everyone for your advice.. it is greatly appreciated!