Attire for Summer Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockersoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting up a summer research program in a few days, and while I participate in research at my college, I am not use to researching for eight hours per day. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about proper and comfortable lab attire for a long day of research in summer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The first week or so I would wear nice pants and a collared shirt or something...I work in a lab full time right now and that's the most dressed people will usually be. Usually nice pants and a "dressier" T-shirt type (like the short sleeve with the polo logo but not collared) is fine also. Just don't wear shorts and sleeveless haha

Reactions: 1 user
I particulate

particulate-matter-pollution-13-638.jpg

trees-particulates-2.jpg

20160701_particulate-2.jpg

46767.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Attire depends on the lab you're in. Some places, you probably need to be in some nicer clothes. Other places, jeans and a tshirt would be more common.

Shorts, flip flops, long hair and sunglasses. Oh wait you weren't going to the beach?
Then the opposite

I am starting up a summer research program in a few days, and while I particulate in research at my college, I am not use to researching for eight hours per day. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about proper and comfortable lab attire for a long day of research in summer. Thanks!
Just don't wear shorts.

and LOL please do not wear nice clothes like a shirt and khaki pants. Unless there's some small group distinguished speaker meeting you're attending. You want jeans and a t-shirt. You'll know what I mean when you get some hematoxylin & eosin on you

Reactions: 2 users
and wear a lab coat that fits! I have a demented one with short arms and got trizol on my wrist that was fun

Pants and a (nicer) tee shirt is fine, usually. It slightly depends on the lab culture though. Also, I remember when I first started out I used to laugh at people who wore running shoes with khakis. Now? You better believe unless there's a seminar or guest speaker or something I wear running shoes with khakis. They're neutral colors so it's not so outrageous looking, but my feet definitely thank me when I'm on my feet all day.

Just don't look like a slob and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the responses guys! That is definitely along the lines on what I was thinking.

I found that my heels were always a hit in the lab

I've worn a bro tank and shorts to lab, do you even science bruh?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you do, bioinformatics research? A lot of places have these things called safety regulations.

Nah, straight up basic science wet lab. And duh of course there's safety regulations, but my lab is chill as long as the safety inspector isn't around and I like to live dangerously

Nah, straight up basic science wet lab. And duh of course there's safety regulations, but my lab is chill as long as the safety inspector isn't around and I like to live dangerously!

Seems like a troll? lol But seriously, thanks for the input everyone!

Seems like a troll? lol But seriously, thanks for the input everyone!
No, I was mostly joking (although also curious of it was actually not a wet lab). If you're not working with serious chemicals, etc., some labs won't really care about attire, not that I suggest you show up in a tank top on your first day.

Try business casual the first day. It's safe in that you're well-dressed if people usually dress up for lab but not too dressed up if people just wear casual clothes to lab. Standard lab attire varies from lab to lab and field to field. If your lab is more clinical and interacts with patients/doctors, you might be required to wear more business casual attire. But if your lab is basic science, most graduate students won't "dress up" and will be in jeans and a button-down or polo or even t-shirt. If you're working in a wet lab, you're not going to be allowed to wear open-toed shoes so be prepared for that. Close-toed shoes is always a good bet either way.