Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

my husband has this anesthesiology department dinner coming up that everyone from a CA-1 to the program director attends and i am not sure what i am supposed to wear. :rolleyes:

although this might seem like a silly question, i am not from the US and am not sure how things work here. do let me know what u guys think. i am not sure how formal these events are....and am totally clueless about the appropriate attire.

help!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

So your husband is interviewing and you are going with him to the dinner???

Originally posted by doc_strange2001
So your husband is interviewing and you are going with him to the dinner???

My girlfriend has been invited to a few of my interview dinners/night before receptions. It isn't uncommon.

Dress is formal casual. Like something you would wear to meet your boyfriend's parents for the first time, or to dinner at a nice restaurant in the city. With that said, you can really only go wrong by wearing jeans or a tank top....unless you have a knockout body.

EDIT: I mean dress casual, not formal casual. I don't even know what formal casual is.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is not an interview dinner...its some sorta dinner the department has every year so everyone can get together...

thanks for your suggestions....

i have this cocktail kinda knee-length dress...is that ok? its not the full length formal dinner type dress....

would love some more input on this....

will avoid the jeans and tank tops :p

A good question has been raised here- what do people wear to the "night before" dinner prior to an interview?

I was figuring on a stylish shirt with a collar, and nice jeans, or maybe slacks.

Do I wear a sport coat too?

I have my first on coming up..Ive been adviced to wear nice pants kaki or dress, with nice button shirt(no tie needed) or nice sweater.

You definitely do NOT have to go formal. These dinners are more for your benefit in that it is a more relaxed environment where you can ask us (residents) questions about the program. That being said, I have seen some pretty sharply dressed guys and super dressed up girls. All unnecessary. Go casual, but maybe not shorts, jeans, or cutoffs. 8o)

personally if i was a guy and was going to a pre-interview dinner i would wear dress slacks with a shirt, no tie and a sports jacket (meaning not formal dinner jacket but a more tweed or brown one). u cant go wrong with this combination of casual and formal.

but since i am female there is so much more choice!!

as far as i know for the gals the full length dresses are reserved for more formal occasions. cocktail length dresses are fine for almost everything else. a dressy blouse and slacks are supposed to be semi- formal for a "non-interview" dinner with the colleagues. phew!!

i think i will wear a nice slightly dressy blouse with black slacks. there! am done deciding. now all i need is someone to tell me if this combination sounds stupid. :p

I've done 4 dinners so far and the trend for guys is business casual: button down shirt and kakis, no tie, no coat.

Originally posted by toothmail
i think i will wear a nice slightly dressy blouse with black slacks. there! am done deciding. now all i need is someone to tell me if this combination sounds stupid. :p

I think you've got it figured out. That's what the girls have been wearing.

thanks everyone.... :D

hi

am sorry to keep asking the same type of questions here but i just got to know that the invite says "black tie optional". :eek: hadnt noticed that. could someone tell me what this means we have to wear to this dinner- from both a guys and a girls perspective.....its 7pm onwards if that makes a difference.....

black tie optional? are you serious??? what are you going to, a ball or benefit?

black tie optional usually means gentlemen in tuxedo and women in luxurious long evening dress. for joe blow, that means black/dark suit minimum and women in long evening dress.

this is a department dinner held in some fancy shmancy club and its an ivy league med school ....

eeks i dont have a luxurious long dress! eeps!!

anyways i will get my hubby to ask some people who have attended this before and see what everyone turns up in.....