attn aamc: i love you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy_cavalier

T3-Weighted
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must say this. I was recently thinking about it, and I've come to realize that I love the AAMC. AAMC, if you are reading this, I love you.

I'm not being sarcastic at all! On the contrary. The new MSAR is really sweet! I love the layout, I'm very happy to see that median MCATs and GPAs are being reported, and just all the details are there and so easy to read and presented in such a beautiful manner. Meanwhile, the new AMCAS is incredible too! So far, I feel like the AAMC has really made the first part of the application process very direct and sensible. My only lingering suggestion is to revamp the system and cater it to a match system, but regardless, kudos on everything else!

Of course, while I laud the AAMC's meticulous data-keeping, organization, and all-around efficient and straightforward system/machinery, I am still annoyed by the material that was thrown on our verbal section of the MCAT. Verbal section was definitely :thumbdown: . I hate that my score supposedly says I can't comprehend written material, that I have mediocre logic skills and am unable to draw upon implications and so forth. Not true! :mad:

Anyway, all else considered, I'd give 'em my :thumbup: Hopefully the new MCATs won't have such terrible verbal sections. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

ooooh - a match system for applying, interesting idea! Do away with those pesky waitlists ... but what about the scramble?

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
ooooh - a match system for applying, interesting idea! Do away with those pesky waitlists ... but what about the scramble?
The match system is not that far-fetched. That's all the TX public schools use (TMDSAS).

crazy_cavalier said:
I must say this. I was recently thinking about it, and I've come to realize that I love the AAMC. AAMC, if you are reading this, I love you.

Dude, what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing? :D

In all seriousness, I'm pretty impressed with the new MSAR also. The layout is easier to follow. My suggestion for improving AMCAS would be to have AMCAS enter in all of my classes and grades for me, rather than making ME do it. :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
In all seriousness, I'm pretty impressed with the new MSAR also. The layout is easier to follow. My suggestion for improving AMCAS would be to have AMCAS enter in all of my classes and grades for me, rather than making ME do it. :smuggrin:

Hehe, well, time for me to be a big dork and say that I actually liked putting the grades in myself. I'm glad we were the ones to input the grades, and having them verify it is the way to go. This way, I get to control what type of class my courses were, which makes sense because I best know what the content of the courses were. For example, one of my classes, "computational bme", should be classified as a MATH since we did a lot of heavily mathematical based things, such as numerical integration/differentiation, solving ordinary differential equations with a numerical technique, and using partial differentials and ODE's to model systems. Inputting the grades also gave me a chance to go over my own transcript and scrutinize the trends as well as reminisce on the classes I took...

then again, I had it easy since I only have a record from one institution and going through my coursework was fairly easy and straightforward... I know other people have multiple transcripts to wade through and have a harder time getting their coursework entered / figured out, so I understand the sentiment that goes against this aspect of the AMCAS :oops:

QofQuimica said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BrettBatchelor said:
A match system would be awesome. I would def. be in favor since it is an applicants market.

Yeah, a match would be sweet. Who knows, by the time we apply they might have one. I know it's wishful thinking but you never know.

I'll throw some love their way if I can submit my AMCAS tomorrow and have it processed within two weeks...! :laugh:

The Smart Guy said:
Yeah, a match would be sweet. Who knows, by the time we apply they might have one. I know it's wishful thinking but you never know.
Yeah... I don't see them putting that one in place by tomorrow! :D

Where could I pick up a copy of the newest MSAR?

Members don't see this ad :)
jc11011 said:
Where could I pick up a copy of the newest MSAR?

You can order it off of Amazon or the AAMC's website. Amazone will probably get it back to you faster. It is 25 dollars.

I believe it's currently cheaper at amazon.

Yeah, it is: $16.50

hahah, i wonder where this thread is gonna go later on this year :)

AMCAS changed the online software this year for their application entry. I started to apply last year and ended up not submitting.. It was a pain in the butt to enter grades; I had questions just about every step of the way, especially on grade entry. They made it a LOT easier with this new application service, we lucked out..

I give it.. 3 thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

dajimmers said:

Man, the reduce the price after I buy it maneuver... :mad:

dajimmers said:

AAMC is currently selling it for 17.95 too. But Amazon is still a couple dollars cheaper. Amazon will probably get it to you faster then AAMC.

Avalanche21 said:
Man, the reduce the price after I buy it maneuver... :mad:

lol!!!!!!!!!!

They generally have a time period when they put it on special reduced price. Generally happens around July time. But yah, that sucks.

I love that AAMC increased the character limit for the activities/work section. Wasn't it something ridiculous like 350 characters? All I know is that I have a problem with being too wordy and if the character limit had been even half of the 1325 it was this year I would have had a problem! :smuggrin:

stop smackin up people, it is unbelievable how much kiss assesss are out there (the whole field of medicine is filled with you smacks), screw the aamc, they make millions of dollars off us, the aamc can go to hell. rat bastards.

stop smackin. STOP

Mr PluM said:
stop smackin up people, it is unbelievable how much kiss assesss are out there (the whole field of medicine is filled with you smacks), screw the aamc, they make millions of dollars off us, the aamc can go to hell. rat bastards.

stop smackin. STOP

Haven't seen you in awhile. But anyhow.......

no need to be mean to everyone. ;)

That said, I agree that with all the money we pay for applications etc, that one would hope that they would do justice with it and make things easier for us.