Attn Average Students!!!! Applying for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AverageMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy, I've been surfing this board for a bit, and it seems like most of the peeps posting are stellar students that obtained AOA and have super high board scores :(

So, I'm curious in what residencies, the average students with average board scores are applying for, and have you been succesful so far in obtaining interviews, and possible where???

P.S. Any average students having success with Radio or Emergency Med?

Thanks a bunch, this would help me out very very much!!

Average MD

Members don't see this ad.

There will be many above average students that will fail to match for both radiology and emergency medicine this year.

Unfortunatly many above average students will not match in ortho, radiology, and amergency this years. A few of my frinds with above average scores tried for ENT and Neurosurg, and didn't get a match. Luckily, they all had a back up plan, because they knew how tough it would be. Unfortunatly, those spots are tough to get...and no it isn't fair.

Yeah, I agree that it is unfair. If most neurosurgeons work 50-80 hr weeks after they finish training, it seems to me that they ought to just train more neurosurgeons so that they can work 30-40 hr weeks.

Hey Elvis, what residency are you applying for and where have you interviewed, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Sent you one back Elvis! Thanks a bunch!!!

Average MD

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AverageMD:
•Hey guy, I've been surfing this board for a bit, and it seems like most of the peeps posting are stellar students that obtained AOA and have super high board scores :(

So, I'm curious in what residencies, the average students with average board scores are applying for, and have you been succesful so far in obtaining interviews, and possible where???

P.S. Any average students having success with Radio or Emergency Med?

Thanks a bunch, this would help me out very very much!!

Average MD•••••AverageMD,

I don't agree with some of the advice in this thread. While certain specialties are more difficult to enter, the 'average MD' doesn't necessarily have to feel excluded. I believe this is especially relevant to fields like Radiology and ER. True they are very competitve, but there are approximately 2000 spots between them. Average students can certainly gain entry into ER and radiology. That doesn't mean it will be easy or a shoe in. But it can, and is being done a lot more often than one might think.

What some of the posters neglect to mention is that rankings are not based solely on the numbers. Many programs actually shun seeemingly 'perfect' applicants due to past experiences with brains who turned out to be clinical duds.

It's important to realize that your 'average' MD is still a stellar candidate. If you don't believe me, go have your IQ tested. You might be surprized. The point is that an 'average' candidate is still an outstanding choice. Many 'qualified' candidates wont get the spot because of things like personality, something that may show its ugly head on interview day. Tons of average candidates will get into ER and Radiology this year. They are competitive fields but very doable. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Klebsiella!!! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear :D It just didnt make any sense to me why it would be so difficult for an average US grad to not have a shot at those mid tier competetive specialties because there are so many spots available! I mean most of the top candidates will probably fill Ortho/ENT/Uro/Ophto/Derm and that must be like 2000-3000 spots right there! So there has to be room for the rest of us that are around the 50% mark of "competetiveness" :D I really don't care about matching to the big name university programs...I would be more than happy to match at a community hospital in a great location! Personally, I would like to stay in the NY/NJ area!

Thanks!
Average MD

AverageMD,

Just go for it, and don't worry about horror stories others are peddling. Many use these to boost the prestige of a field they are interested in. Alternatively it is designed to scare away would be competitors. Tons of 'average' students get into competitive fields every year, whatever it may be. Even fields like ortho and optho aren't totally out of the question.

Many average MD's wont match, and many above average and even stellar applicants wont match in these fields. There are many many other factors in acceptances other than strict paper numbers. I would say that the 'Average' applicant, who rotates through other hospitals, has the right recs, and pushes the right buttons, has an excellent chance of matching in one of these fields. Go for it and don't look back!

Also bear in mind that what you see posted here is not necessarily reflective of reality or the entire applicant pool. Some will artificially inflate their application on BBs and others who are less than stellar will simply not mention their scores - don't judge the entire applicant pool of a residency based upon what people post here.

I would wager that the average board scores for radiology is higher than ER. But that is besides the point. Board scores are only one part of the application process. So 235 vs 225 does not make as much difference as what ELSE one brings to the table. Especially considering that many (smart) PDs know step I is not really a measure of your clinical intelligence. The ER interview may be just as crucial as your application. I know the head of a busy level I trauma center that interviews candidates. And in their ranking scheme, the board scores, grades, and the letters of recommendation weigh as much as the interview. Yes, they give the interview a weight of 50%. He says that basically you have to get along well with the attendings and your future residents. They spend a lot of time interviewing candidates and not in herds to see who's personality quirks/deviations would be too difficult to work with over the next 3-4yrs. You still have to be likeable and be able to speak clearly and convincingly on the radiology interviews. With the great market for radiology PD they don't have to take the dud who has a 270 on their board scores, but has no personality and thinks all clinicians should bow at their feet because they did so well on step I and is such a genius.