ATTN: First year residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herodontist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a time gap was there between your programs? For example, what month was your DDS/DMD graduation and what month did you start your residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I had about a month to move and get everything set up.

Everyone starts on July 1st, the only difference is when your graduation ceremony is. For NSU, graduation ceremony is always on Memorial Day weekend (the end of May).

140 views and 1 reply????

Yah-E, thanks for the info on Nova. People from other schools, did you graduate around the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
herodontist said:
140 views and 1 reply????

Yah-E, thanks for the info on Nova. People from other schools, did you graduate around the same time?
I graduated from MD on May 19 and had to report for "orientation" at UAB on June 12. Although, 1 of my coresidents graduated from Iowa on June 9 :eek: . You can always find a way to figure that stuff out. Personally, I'm glad we started early; it allowed us some overlap with the rising 2nd years to learn the ropes. Gonna be a crazy year...

TiggerJSA said:
I graduated from MD on May 19 and had to report for "orientation" at UAB on June 12. Although, 1 of my coresidents graduated from Iowa on June 9 :eek: . You can always find a way to figure that stuff out. Personally, I'm glad we started early; it allowed us some overlap with the rising 2nd years to learn the ropes. Gonna be a crazy year...
Please tell me that you guys starting early is a volunteered thing! I thought no one can move up to next level including interns coming in to work until July 1st of each year.

I'm able to take call and show up on conferences now as well if I wish, but we're not required to. OMFS intern orientation for me is not until tomorrow, hospital intern orientation not until this Thursday, and another orientation for the dental school for the post-grads is on Friday. Saturday (07/1/2006) we start!

I think Tigger is right on this one. They do it so there is a brief amount of time when the first and second year residents are on service together. I graduated May 12th, started orientation on June 19th, and I just finished my first day on the job today. Lets start the insanity.

herodontist said:
How much of a time gap was there between your programs? For example, what month was your DDS/DMD graduation and what month did you start your residency?

We graduated in the middle of May, and I start on July 1. Plenty of time to catch up on the xbox 360.

The start time is determined by the hospital. The orientation is a MUST. We just started to pay for some additional time. All hospitals require new employees to do some orientation BEFORE they start. For a residency, medical programs require orienation so they can START on July 1.
Expections must be approve, and this is generally only if you are in a current program endding June 30.

We have an AEGD student who started with us July 1, he did come for 3 days for ACLS and hospital Orienation. I have spend extra time bringing him up to speed.

If a resident tell us, he does not wish to come in early. We will thank him for initially accepting and go onto the next person we have. We tell them during the interviews about orientation, if they decided they don't like it later - well its their choice. We want a happy group that works together.

For this past weekend, we had 1 resident on-call for emegencies, and 1 on-call for inpatients ( we currently have 10 residents). When I went in, there were 5 residents in the ED so they can learn. I have a team that volunteered for today if needed. LEARNING IS KEY - hospitals are 24/7. TEAM WORK IS KEY, this group is working as one. AND FUN is key,

Tigger JSA, seablaster, Yah-E, El Guapo78 and rarm1 - thanks for your responses!

Yah-E said:
I had about a month to move and get everything set up.
And about 16-24 mos before your program is gone. Oops, I did it again.

tx oms said:
Oops, I did it again.

You shouldn't share your encounters with coats with us like this. ;)