Attn Moo.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moo,
What schools did you apply to? Or atleast, could you give me an idea of what schools are more 'affectionate' towards Canadian applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to about 30 schools. Below is the list from my AMCAS app

120 Albert Einstein College of Med (Regular M.D.)
105 Boston University (Regular M.D.)
110 Chicago Medical School (Regular M.D.)
116 Creighton University (Regular M.D.)
118 Dartmouth Medical School (Regular M.D.)
119 Duke University (Regular M.D.)
121 Emory University (Regular M.D.)
123 George Washington University (Regular M.D.)
122 Georgetown University (Regular M.D.)
126 Harvard Medical School (Regular M.D.)
132 Jefferson Medical College (Regular M.D.)
115 Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical Col. of Cornell (Regular M.D.)
133 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
167 Keck School of Medicine Univ of Southern Cal (Regular M.D.)
143 Loma Linda University (Regular M.D.)
141 Medical College of Wisconsin (Regular M.D.)
801 Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
151 New York Medical College (Regular M.D.)
155 Northwestern University (Regular M.D.)
156 Ohio State University (Regular M.D.)
169 Stanford University (Regular M.D.)
175 Tufts University (Regular M.D.)
159 Univ of Pennsylvania (Regular M.D.)
179 Univ of Vermont (Regular M.D.)
109 University of California - Los Angeles (Regular M.D.)
108 University of California - San Francisco (Regular M.D.)
111 University of Chicago (Regular M.D.)
106 Wake Forest (Regular M.D.)
184 Washington University (Regular M.D.)
191 Yale University

plus COLUMBIA... If I had to do it again, I wouldn't apply to UCSF, as they have taken like one international in the past six years... but it was worth the shot. Also, Loma Linda is not a good one to apply to, unless you subscribe to their Christian philosophy.

As a general rule, stick to private universities. The University of California system is generally pretty receptive, too. Though, you're right, UCSF has taken only one international applicant in the past six years. The UCs are very competitive in general, I think.

The jury is still out as to whether there is a bias against us Canadians when we apply. Maybe we can get that figured out this year. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!
One other thing came to mind:
Do we have to perform 'above avg.'?
I mean, should we have better stats than the regular out of staters?
(ie. gpa 3.7-4.0...lots of extra cirricular...lots of research....)
Or is this all in my head? A friend of mine told me that the unspoken rule for us is that we have the bar raised a little higher than the other American out of staters.

moo, if you don't mind, would you edit your list to show schools where you got interviews, rejections, acceptances, and have not heard. Although not a Canadian, I'm close enough...thanks.

Originally posted by mpp:
•moo, if you don't mind, would you edit your list to show schools where you got interviews, rejections, acceptances, and have not heard. Although not a Canadian, I'm close enough...thanks.•••

Sure. Interviews at:

Ohio State
Columbia
NYMC
Duke
Wake Forest
Med Col. of Wisconsin
George Washington

Waitlisted at:
Ohio State

Rejected without interview (secondary) at:
UCSF
U of Chicago
Georgetown
Stanford

Didn't complete secondaries:
Cornell
Finch
LLU

Originally posted by Jon Davis:
•Thanks guys!
One other thing came to mind:
Do we have to perform 'above avg.'?
I mean, should we have better stats than the regular out of staters?
(ie. gpa 3.7-4.0...lots of extra cirricular...lots of research....)
Or is this all in my head? A friend of mine told me that the unspoken rule for us is that we have the bar raised a little higher than the other American out of staters.•••

That is somewhat in disupte. I say 'no', we are generally lumped in with the out-of-staters. There's a guy who posts on here (Thewonderer) who says that we have to have great stats to get in down there. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I go to an American school. Therefore, I will have an American bachelor's degree in science, research, community service, etc. Does that help any?

•I go to an American school. Therefore, I will have an American bachelor's degree in science, research, community service, etc. Does that help any?•••

I think that could certainly help but I don't know how much though.
If you go to ivy, it can definitely help.

•I go to an American school. Therefore, I will have an American bachelor's degree in science, research, community service, etc. Does that help any?•••

It might help a bit, but you are still considered a Canadian, unless you have American citizenship. Most schools I've realized don't discriminate much between Canadian schools are American schools. In fact, I've found that Canadian schools seem to have a good rep down there.

I tend to agree. It probably won't make much of a difference. But I don't really think that you'll face that much opposition as a Canadian... Our schools are basically identical to US ones, and we're pretty well resepcted all around.

Originally posted by brandonite:
•I tend to agree. It probably won't make much of a difference. But I don't really think that you'll face that much opposition as a Canadian... Our schools are basically identical to US ones, and we're pretty well resepcted all around.•••

As long as we can pay ! :mad: