Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ATTN: Mount Sinai Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by JJ4, Feb 9, 2002.

1. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member

Can anyone please tell me about the clinical training at Sinai?? How much do students get to do? And are they taught about the procedure (i.e. why it's done and what it affects) hand by hand?? Or just kinda scutted out.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member

CAN ANYONE HELP HERE?????

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Big Poppa Pump

hey, i am a first year at mtsinai. i dont know all that much about the clinical training. however, i can tell you what i do know. there are a lot of hospitals that 3rd and fourth years train at. like many of the other nyc schools we have the ability to train in less than posh environments, like elmhurst hospital in queens and some VA. right now, sinai is going through a little bit of a financial debacle. there is a lot of reorganization going on and tuition is going to go up 3500$ per year for the next two years. they are also going to up the class size from 105 to about 120 per year. we also added another hospital that we are allowed to train at. this is a very laid back school, and having everyone (more or less) live in the same building makes it pretty fun.

5. GrandMasterB

oh, i forgot to mention the clinical exposure during the first couple of years. i am not sure what other schools do, but we do a decent amount of clinical stuff. we already learned how to take histories and are learning the physical exam as we do units in physiology. by the end of the second year, you are supposed to know how to do the whole physical exam and take a history on your own. we have already been allowed to take an entire patient history.

6. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

GrandmasterB...Did you get that from Married with Children???

haha...i love that show :)

7. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member

how much do you guys actually get TO DO?

8. GrandMasterB

indeed i did get this name from married with children, and i love that show too. as for the other question, if my previous answer did not do it for ya, i am not sure what to say. that is what we get to do: take histories and learn the physical. some people go out on their own to different clinics to learn phlebotomy etc, and there are different electives you can take to shadow different docs that each have their own amount of exposure. hope that answers your question.

9. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    can you say any more about the financial problems?

10. choker

choker Senior Member

yeah, but when we say how much do you DO? we are referring to the fact that at nyu, they make a big deal about how since they work at bellevue, they dont just get to SEE a lot, they get to play doctor and give injections, put in IVs, intibate, etc. in other words, at sinai, do the students ever get any hands on experience and actually get to perform any procedures or get to be invasive at all?

thanks.

11. GrandMasterB

the school is undergoing significant financial probs right now. there is a consultancy called the hunter group which is going to suggest who to fire, what to change etc. what i said earlier is pretty much all i know. i have not injected anyone with anything, but there are plenty of people who have. they did those types of things at free clinics that student groups go to, and you can join specific electives- like following a surgeon etc where you might have more opportunities to do stuff like that. i know how to take blood pressure, listen for heart sounds/murmurs, and do the respiratory exam. tomorrow we are going to see patients to do the respiratory exam on them.

12. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus

Drawing blood for the 100th time on your bellevue patient is not a learning experience. That time could be better serviced seeing more interesting patients or reading.

13. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly :D