ATTN: People who work in walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omegadramon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reccomended from a friend (who works there) to go work there.....She gave me what info to put in the application to identify her. You think that will give me a vote of confidence when pharmacy managers look at my file?

I just finished applying, and I understand in order to complete the application, I need to go up to a store and take some sort of test....My question is, should I hand them a Resume + Cover letter while I'm there. I believe the R + C will greatly help me out because it will list a bunch of things I've done that I coudn't put on my application.

Thanks guys. You're a such a great help.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe a resume will be enough. I don't think a cover letter is needed. Last year when I applied as a technician, I called the pharmacy manager and asked fi there were any openings, she told me to apply and then the next day I came in for an interview with the store manager and I gave the pharmacy manager my resume. Its not like you are applying for a "real" job (ie Engineering) its just a technician job that pays 8-10 dollars an hour. :D Good luck with that...

I highly recommend you to drive from one store to the next to ask for the position opening and give each store your contact info along with your resume even they are not hiring. That is the best way to get hired. At the same time, go to walgreens.com and apply, that way, when they hire you, they can pull your app. Almost every pharmacy has high tech turnover ratio and thus doing this will make you a much better candidate than those just applying online. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, thanks.....

I re-worked on my resume and it looks like it's gonna kick some serious butt. Thanks again.

Also she probably wants you to give her name so she can get the referral bonus. Good luck with the job.

I work at Walgreens and to be honest, all the managers I know throw out resumes. They really only pay attention to the applications.

It certainly won't hurt though.

So, I should go and talk to the Pharmacy manager of the store manager?

So, I should go and talk to the Pharmacy manager of the store manager?

From my experience, the pharmacy manager looks at your application and if they like you after they talk to you they'll get the store manager to hire you. I think it ultimately falls under the store manager's decision (but they do weigh inputs from the pharmacy manager very heavily) because its their store and they pretty much do all the hiring.

I think it ultimately depends on the RX Manager of each individual store's hiring procedures. I have worked for Wag for 5 years at several stores...I know some who hire only off the websites applications and some only through resume's/other employee referrals, I think these stores have less turnover and can ultimately pick who they want. Finally, I am sure if you can get in touch w/ your local district office and contact them I am sure they would recommend a store to call or procedures from there, especially if your pre-pharmacy they would love to have you...Good luck.

The store manager does the interview & the hiring, but i would go talk to the pharmacy manager first since you'll be working under them. The interview I did had lots of spoken math problems. It was pretty funny, trying to make change for $6.28 given a $20 and the customer wants at least one $5 bill. I did a lot of "uhh..ing"

*yeah its harder in an interview.
**got the job, havent started yet.

The new way of hiring. Everything now is done through computer or online! You can come in person and use the computer machine (as in CVS) or through the pharmacy official website, search it! It will probably takes at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on fast you are at reading and clicking on the computer, etc. They give you a test, but there are no right or wrong answer. Once your application online (computerized) is finished, it will get forwarded to the pharmacy store that you selected or by zip code, and your application save on the file for a period of time, 3-6 months?. The rank of your application is based on date and other criterias. It is hard to find good employee...but when your application does match and the manager see it's a good application, will select and you get call in for an interview, this is when you will probably need your resume. The same goes for pharmacist who is overlook by the district/pharmacy manager or recruiter manager, contact via e-mail, etc. Sometimes, you don't hear from them is because other have connections or someone who knows you well and refers you; because those are the applicants who usually get the job before you do. When it is hard to find good employee, pharmacy advertised themselve with "Help wanted or Job Available" sign, but those are usually reserved for sale clerk or cashier. Even after you get "hired," you will have to go and get a drug test and criminal background check, certification/registration current, and take another test at the retail store, etc. Good-luck!

Thanks guys.....I went into the walgreens and took a skill assesment test. I passed out my resume to be forwarded to the manager (Pharmacy manager is on maternity leave). I then did the same thing for another location.....

Then I went CVS' online application and put it my info.....Now, all I have to do is play the waiting game (Sheesh....I feel like I've been doing this for the past two years).

The bottom line is: In person, go to the store nearby your house, talk to them. Sometimes they dont need help but they might be able to squeeze you in the work schedule. Tell them that you are not looking for a lot of hours. You just want to have you foot in the door. And some managers would take you in to cover vacation. Once you are in the system, you are good to go.

This must be highly dependent on the part of the country. I didn't even have an interview. I walked up to the district supervisor who was hanging out in the lobby at school, introduced myself, shook her hand and asked if she had any openings. I started a week later after I filled out the application. Are you guys talking about tech positions?

This must be highly dependent on the part of the country. I didn't even have an interview. I walked up to the district supervisor who was hanging out in the lobby at school, introduced myself, shook her hand and asked if she had any openings. I started a week later after I filled out the application. Are you guys talking about tech positions?

You are just lucky that she was there to recruit tech.

Most pharmacy schools have career fair and they have retail district recruiting staffs there recruiting people. So another way for you folks to get a job in the pharmacy

I called several walgreens 2 weeks ago to see if a position was available, but only 2 places called back. They both said they'd call if a position becomes available, thinking around July. Well, one called me today wanting me to come by and talk to him. I did and he was very nice, laidback...just asked me why pharmacy, looked at my retail/cashiering experiences, showed me around, explained how the training process works, rate of pay, etc. It wasn't a formal interview, he just told me info and he said he loves being able to give students experience and letters of rec, etc. and he'd be happy to do so for me too. He was really NICE! Then he just said he'll figure out the scheduling and see what hrs he can give me, sounds hopeful??? :)

I called several walgreens 2 weeks ago to see if a position was available, but only 2 places called back. They both said they'd call if a position becomes available, thinking around July. Well, one called me today wanting me to come by and talk to him. I did and he was very nice, laidback...just asked me why pharmacy, looked at my retail/cashiering experiences, showed me around, explained how the training process works, rate of pay, etc. It wasn't a formal interview, he just told me info and he said he loves being able to give students experience and letters of rec, etc. and he'd be happy to do so for me too. He was really NICE! Then he just said he'll figure out the scheduling and see what hrs he can give me, sounds hopeful??? :)

If this is southern calif walgreens, lemme know, I might be able to help

My first day was today at Walgreens, learned cashier, computer, drive-thru, filling, basically was on my own and kept asking questions, good thing they are nice people. I am overwhelmed with so much info!!! I feel like I know nothing compared to the others who know so much as techs. :( Next few days will be cd-rom training, boring!

Anyone who works at walgreens as a tech.....what does the cd rom training cover? How many hrs total of that training and how soon does it need to be done? Can we choose what hrs to go to training or is there a set time / amt of hrs per day? bc I have another job and I don't know how I am going to complete the 40(?) hrs of that training in a week....

I was hired by the pharmacy manager. Never talked to the store manager until after I got hired.

You can choose your hours for training. Normally they have a store that you go to for training, but because my time was limited, they let me train at the store that I was going to work in. I quit after my computer training.

I was hired by the pharmacy manager. Never talked to the store manager until after I got hired.

You can choose your hours for training. Normally they have a store that you go to for training, but because my time was limited, they let me train at the store that I was going to work in. I quit after my computer training.

Why did you quit?